Charles Fischer

How Washington's Injuries Will Impact the Game

The Huskies have a number of injuries that if we played this week--could change the game plan for Oregon dramatically.  But with two weeks to heal--I think most will be available, yet many other media sources have doubts. It is important as an Oregon fan to be aware of them, and how the Ducks could benefit, and at the least--it gives us good pondering stuff over the next week.

What I have below is taken from a subscription site, and thought I would pass it along for my Duck-Buddies over here.

Washington Receivers

First, two superb receivers were hurt in their game against Arizona, and it is assumed the Jalen McMillan will be back and fine...although it could be a smoke screen and something to watch for. The other receiver, Rome Odunze, could very well be questionable as the UW head coach did not want to speculate on him. A rumor on "X" was the Odunze was in a wheelchair after the game, while DeBore claimed he, "just had the wind knocked out of him."  Hmmmm.  (These are really good WRs)

Washington Defensive Linemen

Coach DeBoer also not sounding optimistic about UW's talented NT 6'1" 292 lbs. Tuli Letuligasenoa, after he hurt an ankle in the game versus the Wildcats. Washington's run defense was noticeably impacted by his loss as Arizona started to gash them up the middle. Defense will likely be the difference in this game, and the Huskies desperately need Tuli for this game.

Another Defensive lineman, 6'6" 327 lbs. Ulumoo Ale, also went out of the game when he hurt his hand, and it appeared pretty bad. Have to think that along with Tuli going out--losing both had a huge impact on UW interior run defense. If Ale cannot use his hands, going to be a huge advantage for Ducks interior offensive line. He did return to the game, but was impaired.

Tuli Letuligasenoa, Washington, Defensive Line

Tuli Letuligasenoa

Tuli's a game changer. No Tuli, and schematically their defense just blows up. Now the A gaps become susceptible, as the Oregon offensive guards are freed up to block the 2nd level against the Husky linebackers, and in pass protection--we can handle the blitz better.

There is a huge drop off after Tuli and Ale in the middle of the UW defensive line, as Arizona’s offense almost did whatever they wanted in the 2nd half. The backup QB for the Wildcats--Fifita was ok, but missed quite a few throws that could have changed the game. Running game was humming for the Wildcats when Tuli went out. 

Washington Offensive Linemen

The Huskies lost their starting center and guard in the early season, (6'6" 298 lbs. Matteo Mele, and 6'8" 313 lbs. Julius Buelow) and they’ve been starting Redshirt freshman 6'2" 275 lbs. Parker Brailsford at center as one replacement since. It was known they were thin in depth in the interior offensive line, and their biggest test will be playing a very talented, savvy and experienced Oregon defensive line.

Dorlus, Burch, Taimani, Popo, Burch, and Matayo U. will give them fits, IMHO.

Popo was a big loss last year for us, and he is banged up now and we hope for his return. Last year was a Meh year for Taki Taimani, but he has had an absolute stellar year in 2023 with incredibly high PFF rankings for his play thus far.  The last two games he especially killed it, and this 6'3" 330 lbs. monster is the perfect wrecking ball for the Husky running game.

If we get a great push on that light, inexperienced freshman center (as Popo did versus Texas Tech below) then this could drive Penix into our edge rushers, and certainly mess up his timing with his receivers.

Regardless of the injuries above--I believe that last component of Taimani versus Brailsford will be a major factor to watch for in this game.

Popo just blew up the TT center...

Popo is strong_Screenshot from Fox Sports Video.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks Charles. 

Great stuff.

No one likes to see injuries, but it's a realistic aspect of the game.

Not only has Lanning developed our depth, we're basically pretty healthy right now.

I hope to see our run game be stellar and that our defense pressures Penix regularly. 

• Thumbs Up 1

To have both Popo AND Taki at Nose Tackle?  Seniors with all that experience?

Now THAT is depth!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

When you consider how impactful injuries can be for a team, any team, it's really amazing.  Fortunately, Oregon is deep in quality running backs.  This injury isn't as serious for the team as, say, Cam Rising's is for Utah or Travis Hunter's for Colorado.  But it's certainly serious for Noah and we all hope and wish the best for him going forward. 

I suspect Washington all but abandons the run game against us. Brailsford is strong in pass protection but grades low in run blocking, which I think is pretty much where the rest of the offensive line it at. Overall what we are seeing is that Washington's biggest weakness is depth. The good news for us is they don't seem to have comparable talent to replace injuries now, and in the future when guys go to the NFL or use up their eligibility.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I suspect there is some subterfuge going on with DeBoer as there is with DL.  The week off will certainly help both teams no doubt.  Unless someone gets some real valid insights via a backdoor source I don't think we'll really know with either team till game time. 

Just my $.02 

• Thumbs Up 2

I’d say I’d prefer the fuskies to be completely healthy for their excuse free beat down but who am I kidding? They always have an excuse for their beat down.

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

Posted on another thread, and supports my contention...

• Wow 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 5
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Excellent info again Mr FishDuck. 

I think all those studs are seniors too.

As mentioned elsewhere, kudos to our strength and conditioning coaches.

We definitely have more team speed, we are tackling better, and watching those big front four get good push on those O-line's, is a thing of beauty. 

• Thumbs Up 1

No wonder they dominated the Colorado front line so thoroughly.  

Notice how improved the team is the strength and conditioning department now that Feld is gone?????

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1

The more I look at film of prior games....the more I think that senior Taki Taimani at 330 pounds versus a Husky redshirt freshman center at 275 is the matchup of the game that could change everything.  As discussed in other threads, Penix is not mobile, is fragile in terms of injuries, and they want him to throw the ball away quickly.

But if our secondary has receivers locked down, (and the focus by them in this game will be huge) then Taimani can blast the over-matched center back and collapse the pocket.  This will disrupt the Washington offense that relies on 80% of their production from the passing game.

This is not a matchup that happens very often, and it is ideal for us.  So interesting to watch for...

Nose Tackles Have Made Big

Plays in Seattle Before...

Popo Aumavae_Tom Corno.jpg

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Multiple Washington Starters Are On Track To Return Against Oregon

The Huskies have multiple players trying to get back for the highly-anticipated matchup.

The Washington Huskies suffered some tough injury luck early on.

Before the team could even take their first snap against Boise State, coach Kalen DeBoer announced that running back Cameron Davis and offensive lineman Gaard Memmelaar would miss the season because of injuries suffered in camp.

Next cornerback Davon Banks sustained a season-ending injury while safety Asa Turner, left guard Julius Buelow, wide receiver Jalen McMillan and defensive tackle Tuli Letuligasenoa have all been forced to miss time this year.

But Washington's bye week came at the perfect time for its injured players and should help the seventh-ranked Huskies be at their best before their matchup with the No. 8 Ducks. 

DeBoer said McMillan was "maybe another day or two" away from being able to play against Arizona, but the coach's comments after the game indicated he wasn't 100 percent ready to come back.

To access the details in the article, click here.

• Oh no! 1