David Marsh

What Brings You Back To Your Oregon Days?

So yesterday I was teaching my AP Gov class and a few students were talking about their first concerts. These are seniors in high school so they were born in 2005 by the way. I was telling them about the first concert I went to, Flogging Molly, and that was probably my favorite band my the first half of my Freshman (2007) year at UO. I haven't listened to that band in years but talking about it made me want to listen to their music again so I listened to probably their most popular album Drunken Lullabies.

But it was the second quarter in my Freshman year at Oregon that I discovered my favorite band of all time, The Gaslight Anthem. The last album they published as a band was in 2014, the year Marcus Mariota won his Heisman Trophy and the Ducks smacked FSU in the Rose Bowl and appeared in the National Championship Game. It was a good year, and doesn't everyone mentally organize each year of their lives by what the Ducks achieved that year on the football field?

Though after that album I wasn't expecting anything else from the Gaslight Anthem because the lead singer has gone off to do his own projects which I enjoy but they aren't the same. 

But today I was just glancing through new releases and I didn't believe it when I saw they had a new album.

And right now I am just listening to this new album and it is just taking me back to my years at Oregon in a good way and between this new album and revisiting my first favorite band I am having all sorts of flashbacks.

I absolutely love where I am now in life and wouldn't change it for the world but its nice to go back, even if its just the the sound of my favorite band.

So what brings you back to your time at Oregon, assuming you went to UO, or what brings you back to those important Oregon moments?

Go DUCKS!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

And for those interested...

This is perhaps the Gaslight Anthems most famous song.

This dates me but Chicago is my memory prompt.  "Color My World" played at our wedding.  The second band is Iron Butterfly's  "Gadda Da Vida"  and watching my future wife perform a dance to the drum solo in her dance class.  Great memories!

• Go Ducks! 1

Sorry, when I went to Oregon we didn't have a Heisman qb, or really anything the football program has now other than a little of the uniforms last weekend. We tied sc, wow, and beat the dawgs, yes!, once while always beating the beavs, but it wasn't the same. We weren't underestimated, we were almost always a long shot and rightly so.

Fortunately the 80's was full of great music so it is hard to pick one band, certainly not one song.  I will say Animal House was still fairly new, and the campus and some parties had that feel.

The one thing that is certainly missing is Mac Court. Some of the young Oregon fans definitely missed one of the defining experiences about Duck athletics. Going to a big game at Mac Court was like no other.

So there is nothing about the experience with Oregon Athletics which brings me back, sometimes that is a good thing. I do still love winning when we shouldn't, like no other game, that still fills me up. It doesn't matter what music is playing.

• Go Ducks! 1

Game days at Autzen always takes me back. So many good memories. 

I belonged to a fraternity and every game day we would take a keg and a big rack of red cups to the Autzen parking lot 3 to 4 hours before the game. For the rivalry games someone always seemed to be shaking a batch of yucca juice, usually in those big commercial size mayonnaise containers. 

Food was definitely not in our wheelhouse. 

Had a small generator, and brought a sound system loud enough to be asked to turn it down from time to time. 

Still tailgate with friends from my college days every once in a while.  More food, much less drink.