Charles Fischer

Whoa. Big Step Forward for the Oregon Defense?

Since Oregon lost to Washington, the defense appears to have stepped up bigger than most of us would have realized.  In the last three games, the defense has only given up three touchdowns?

Wowsa.

Meanwhile USC has given up 45 points per game in their last four games.  Their issues are too multiple to mention in this thread between being very undersized on the defense line, and not very good at getting off blocks, confusion often in the secondary, etc.

But damn...the Ducks defense giving up only three touchdowns in three games?  

It is darned impressive, and I'd love to see our defense shut USC down--way below their scoring average. This is an additional jump forward for Oregon's defense....but why?  What do you think the reason is?

Big Stops_Eric Evans of Oregon Football.jpg

At the OBD Get-Together on Friday night, (See Pinned Post at Top) I will give my analysis/thoughts about how Oregon will slow down Caleb Williams.  Join us!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

To put it very broadly, Dan Lanning is why!  I’ve not been able to watch enough to give much honest critique, but I imagine that much is that the Oregon defense is tackling well, especially in space.  Playing very well with gap integrity.  Confusing O-lines and QBs with simulated pressure that the mint D sets up.  And bluntly, just playing physical and swarming to the ball.  

But IMHO, Lanning is the reason!

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 6

It certainly seems like the defense has really pinned their ears back and increased their on field effort.  But I feel like perhaps they've changed how they prepare for the next opponent?  More than anything the anticipation by the defensive players seems to be really spot on the last few games.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/8/2023 at 10:08 AM, kirklandduck said:

It certainly seems like the defense has really pinned their ears back and increased their on field effort.  But I feel like perhaps they've changed how they prepare for the next opponent?  More than anything the anticipation by the defensive players seems to be really spot on the last few games.

Agreed.  Oregon has scouted and prepared the players for particular sets, and opponent plays from those sets extremely well.  Back in the Stanford game....when the Cardinal went into twin backs in the backfield, our defense was shouting and adjusting.  They knew that usually this means an option play coming, just blew it up a number of times.

To all...I will be showing some dandy stuff in the Film Session at the OBD Get-Together on Friday night!  (Pinned Post at top)  Join us!

2022 Fans_Craig Strobeck.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/8/2023 at 9:45 AM, SoGaDawg said:

To put it very broadly, Dan Lanning is why!  I’ve not been able to watch enough to give much honest critique, but I imagine that much is that the Oregon defense is tackling well, especially in space.  Playing very well with gap integrity.  Confusing O-lines and QBs with simulated pressure that the mint D sets up.  And bluntly, just playing physical and swarming to the ball.  

But IMHO, Lanning is the reason!

1000% agree.

Dan knew when he took the job that the defense needed an overhaul.  That was discussed fully during the interview process.  He knew what he had to do to fix it.   Is he 100% there?   Probably not but he is close.  The recruiting class coming in with Rushing et al will help to further solidify his vision for what the defense should look like.

I am not a football savant in anyway compared to most of you here but my eyes certainly are telling me that defense is so much better. 

The previous regime never spent much time recruiting or coaching on defense IMO.  I know everyone loved Joe Salavea but he was not a good coach or recruiter.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/8/2023 at 12:08 PM, kirklandduck said:

Kirklandduck, I haven't even read any of the following posts, but you have hit on the key elements. But, it's not just a feeling - it's reality! Well done. A lot of this is Tosh Lupoi and the defensive coaches developing their players and contributing to the schemes and nuances. But, this is also DL teaching Tosh, and Tosh is learning how to not only be an incredibly effective recruiter, but how to be an incredible D-Coordinator, and perhaps a terrific HC. DL's analyst staff and OC are working in the same way. They are going well beyond what we see from 95% of their peers; and they are refining that.

Still, any terrific HC wants to have at least one and maybe 5-6 Natl Championships. Whether DL and Tosh get their first big one - THEIR Natty - remains to be seen. The defenses' Prep and response has been phenomenal. If they can keep applying and improving, the Ducks may have a "D" beter than what we have seen at Alabama and Georgia. The keys are always leadership, people, and preparation (or teaching). I think we have all those in spades. We definitely have that attitude! In life, attitude and timing are everything!

When Tosh was interviewed, he described the detail he and the staff examined WRT the character of the players they are recruiting. This program is not just recruiting great players, they are also recruiting potentially great people who want to excel, who want to be part of something special that demonstrates superior achievement as a group (and perhaps individually and as position groups (like the Joe Moore Award)). That is the achievement arc on which these coaches and players seem to be riding.

Color me a candy apple green and yellow homer, but that's how it seems to me. Go Ducks! Go, Fight, Win Ducks Win! Am I wrong? We'll observe and know over the next three-four weeks.

VR, KCDuck1

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Something I've noticed is the communication between players presnap. Particularly if the offense does any motion.

The other thing I've noticed is how effectively linebackers and db's pick up receivers crossing the middle. Seems like in years past we would get burned there, this year they adjust to the player quicker.

There is also quick play between db's and safeties handing off receivers to each other.

It seems everyone has a better grasp of the defense and what's expected of them.

All this is helped by the new additions on d brought in via transfer portal as FishDuck so clearly pointed out previously. 

Lastly, I think the strength and conditioning and speed coaches have really done an amazing job.

The guys seem stronger, quicker and healthier then in past years. That makes for fewer missed tackles.

Having the depth that allows for the rotation that keeps fresh legs out is an amazing luxury. 

Can't wait to see the video this friday.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I wish I could make it to the Friday get-together. Have a blast!

How about the remains of teams after they go against the Ducks D?

UW came close to losing to 2 of the worst teams in the conference. CU post-Oregon is in free fall. WSU was limping before the visit to Autzen but now it appears that the Cougs will not make a bowl game. 

It is certainly impressive how the D has improved in year 2 under DL and Tosh. But, the problem with mugging the opponents is that once-ranked teams are now off the board.

NR Arizona after beating 3 ranked teams in a row (a feat accomplished by Georgia in 2006 when the Dawgs were NR and defeated 3 ranked teams in a row,) is now ranked but the Ducks, thankfully IMO, play at ASU and not at AZ. UW's win at Arizona is looking a lot better today.

Both LA teams are now unranked. USC is flaming out, so if Oregon defeats SC, it still would be one win over a ranked team for the Ducks. Oregon State at 12 is nice. Even a loss to UW is not likely to drop the Beavers out of the top 25.

Oregon needs UW to win out giving the Ducks a chance for a win against a top 5, at least, opponent in Las Vegas. That is if both teams make it to LV.

And Mari(o) how about doing something for Puddles by upsetting FSU on Saturday? Miami is a 14.5-point underdog and is playing more like a heavy thunderstorm than a hurricane.

There will be no bowl or likely no bowl for Hawaii, Texas Tech (4-5 and have to play at Kansas and Texas in Austin), CU, Stanford, Cal, WSU, and ASU. And Portland State will not be in the FCS playoff.

Texas and Bama are lurking.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

one of the keys is that we have 8 or 9 defensive lineman who can "PLAY".  It allows for more rest and staying fresh when they do get in.  It's the best collection of D linemen I've seen since I saw my first game at Hayward field in 1963 (when Oregon crushed the Beavers and didn't have Mel Renfro play that day)

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

I doubt dub gets three touchdowns in Vegas if it comes down to a rematch.  Think that mutt loss was maybe the best loss in duck recent history.  Sometimes you learn more about yourself through hard times (or losses)

Edited by candyduck
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2