woundedknees

Interesting Analysis of USC vs Oregon from Hythloday1...

WWW.MSN.COM

"Oregon’s pass rush caused a sack, scramble, or throwaway on over half of USC’s dropbacks, which is the highest rate I’ve ever seen in a single game. Most of that was well earned, though I think on a few the quarterback abandoned the pocket for his own improvisation pretty eagerly. As well he might: just six out-of-structure plays produced over 59% of all yards USC gained outside of garbage time. Still, as explosive and mind-boggling as he can be when improvising, on a per-play basis Oregon’s defense was successful at containing the quarterback when he broke the pocket or they got into the backfield at a 61.5% rate."

The numbers in this article don't include what the author considers, "garbage time".

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

“On the first play of the fourth quarter, Oregon scored a touchdown to expand its lead to 22 points, which is beyond the cutoff most advanced statistical systems use for defining a game as no longer competitive with that little time remaining. Since I watch film I can use more custom-tailored criteria for garbage time and otherwise non-representative play, but in this case that’s the point I used as well.”

Oregon’s defensive line wrecked havoc on USC’s offense all night long. They were making Caleb Williams extremely uncomfortable and frustrating him the entire game.  The only thing that saved USC was Caleb’s magical improvisational skills and pin point accuracy throwing on the run (dude’s a baller!). Even when the D-line didn’t get to Williams, they were around him, making their presence known, and knocked him to the ground on numerous occasions.

Oregon’s D-line is the best it’s been in years and the future is extremely bright given the play of the freshman and the high school commits coming in.

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

I look at Hythloday1's post game analyses every week and really enjoy them. Ditto his Friday pregame reviews of the upcoming opponent. He is usually spot on with player and scheme evaluations. He had U$C's weaknesses pretty well defined and how Oregon might take advantage of them. 

• Thumbs Up 3