Ktmguy2018

Glitz, Glam vs. Substance, Results

As I write this, Colorado players are walking off the field on the Palouse with a 56-14 loss hanging around their necks.  Waiting in the wings of tomorrow is a matchup of USC vs UCLA.  Colorado will not be invited a bowl game this year after dropping to 4-7 on the season.  USC will be invited to a bowl game, just not one that has anything to do with a meaningful ending to a season.

Both of these teams started the season on absolute rockets of hype, media praise, and cockiness.  Many of us who have watched college football for some time were able to see cracks and weaknesses that could only be covered for so long before they affected the integrity of the foundation.  USC peaked at #5 in the AP poll in week #5.  Colorado peaked at #18 in week 4.

Both programs displayed flash, moments of jaw-dropping play, and electric attitudes.  There were other teams in the conference getting love from the media as well, UW, UO, WSU, OSU.  But their early season success was overshadowed by the glitz and glam of the other two programs.  Until....

Until the lack of substance, depth, and coaching began to cascade down on top of the flash and electricity.  I came across this quote a few weeks ago that has been simmering in my mind for a while;

"Underneath the glitz and glamour, however, lies a troubling reality: the absence of meaningful work. The showmanship culture often masks a lack of substantial achievements or tangible results. It fosters an environment where style triumphs over substance, and the focus shifts from genuine progress to mere appearances". - Aditya Kumar Singh, www.medium.com

The interesting thing is that Singh was not remotely referring to football, but to the tech and research industry.  The correlation to me was astounding.  This forum knows all to well the madness of the Trojan fans who were crowning USC as Pac-12 champions and CFP contenders before a down was even played.  The narrative was that the season was a foregone conclusion and every other team was playing for second place.  Those same fans are calling for Riley to be fired, for USC to "get back to greatness", and for wholesale changes.  The problem is, you can't glitz and glam your way to the top.

Unfortunately, this showmanship culture has infected every level of college and professional sports.  The old school person in me is astounded and incredulous when a player scores a touchdown, prances and flexes while his team is losing by a large number and the touchdown is relatively meaningless.  The "showmanship culture masking the tangible results".  I can never forget Vince Lombardi's legendary quote; "when you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before".

This season, more than any other that I can remember has shown that Dan Lanning and company have built the foundation on the substance OVER the appearance.   Words like "physical", "most complete team", "position depth", and "technique discipline" are being used to describe the current Duck group that takes the field.  Yes, Oregon still has all the uniform combinations, facilities that are the envy of the sports world, and the reputation of speed.  The difference this year is that the foundation of substance is deep, solid, and a philosophy that Dan Lanning is building each day.  

"Rooted in substance, not flash" - Dan Lanning

With that substance, we hit 10-1 today.  Go Ducks!

Edited by Ktmguy2018
  • Haha 1
  • Great post! 4
  • Applause 2

At every level of football, games are won or lost at the line of scrimmage. USC and Colorado have flashy skilled players but their offensive lines are terrible (and their defensive lines aren’t much better). If Caleb Williams weren’t USC’s QB (he’s a baller!), they would probably have the same record as Colorado and would not be playing in a bowl game. 

It takes time to recruit and develop offensive and defensive lineman. This is not a position group that you can count on quickly improving in the portal, IMO. Cohesiveness is important in these position groups, especially on the offensive line, which has to act as a unit. 

Luckily, Dan Lanning and his staff realize this and are winning battles for 4/5 star blue chip talent on the lines. 

• Applause 1

Substance, not style or flash is something taught/coached from the top.

At the same time, that 'flash" attitude is also taught or at least tolerated from the top down.

The thing with Deion, he had the substance as a player. A 2 sport pro and an NFL lockdown corner, great stuff.

But football really is a team sport. Having a star qb and receiver doesn't get it done at the D1 level. He hasn't won anything yet.

Coach Riley has had success, but not at the highest level. His record against ranked teams is very poor.

But some people measure success by the size of paychecks, so I guess in that regards, both programs are doing well.

Our coach actually knows what winning a Natty feels like, and what it takes. 

I like the substance.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1