Mic

Sports Junkies Like Stats - Here's a New One For 'Em

Maybe, just to help sort this Heisman voting thingy thing out, pointy-headed statisticians should start counting "Meaningful Minutes Played" when comparing stats-to-stats with all these Heisman hopefuls.  

I mean, I haven't tried to compute and compare the number of minutes Jayden Daniels has played in all his games this year with Bo Nix's minutes but I'd be willing to wager a gentleman's bet Nix has quite a significantly fewer number of minutes.  How many more meaningful touches of the ball has Daniels and Penix both had?

The one category I can think of where that's worked in Nix's favor would be Int's & T.O.'s.  Otherwise, sitting him like yesterday, while a very good thing for the team and backup QB's, definitely cuts into his TD and yardage stats, not to mention highlight footage.  

If this were Baseball, I almost guarantee the stats would be gathered since they gather stats on everything!

You could get a similar idea by dividing by the number of snaps. 

You have to assume that every snap these Heisman hopefuls play is meaningful.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/19/2023 at 1:59 PM, Mic said:

Maybe, just to help sort this Heisman voting thingy thing out, pointy-headed statisticians should start counting "Meaningful Minutes Played" when comparing stats-to-stats with all these Heisman hopefuls.  

I mean, I haven't tried to compute and compare the number of minutes Jayden Daniels has played in all his games this year with Bo Nix's minutes but I'd be willing to wager a gentleman's bet Nix has quite a significantly fewer number of minutes.  How many more meaningful touches of the ball has Daniels and Penix both had?

The one category I can think of where that's worked in Nix's favor would be Int's & T.O.'s.  Otherwise, sitting him like yesterday, while a very good thing for the team and backup QB's, definitely cuts into his TD and yardage stats, not to mention highlight footage.  

If this were Baseball, I almost guarantee the stats would be gathered since they gather stats on everything!

This kind of "Nerdologist Statistical Analysis" warms my self-nerd-stats-guy heart. 

And it's a great comment, question, and point. I might gave to do some nerdorific thinking, pondering, and research on this. 

• Haha 1