candyduck

Favorite Rivalry Games

I love the Civil War but I'm also a huge college football fan as a whole.

Growing up in Socal, SC/UCLA was the game I couldn't wait for every year.  Boy has that luster worn off!

I remember the days when i'd wake up early, grab a blanket on a rainy San Diego day (yes they get plenty of rain there) and watch Mich/Ohio St. followed by Neb/OK then USC/UCLA.  All in one day on one channel..crazy huh?  As an 8 year old kid, I'd dream of growing up and playing for one of those teams and coaches.  I was always excited to see which game Keith Jackson was going to announce too.  Back then, it was kind of a surprise.

With college football typically only on ABC and really only three channels period, I was happy to get those games. The Civil War wasn't on my radar.  That has certainly changed.

I have plenty other rivalry games I could bring up.  Just curious if anyone out there has a game they had to watch or story to share.  This time of year is always fun for me.

Edited by candyduck
Grammer

As much as I love watching the Ducks & Beavers play the best rivalry game out there (imo) is the Army-Navy game.  I've already commented here on that game and how we submariners while serving in the Pacific were treated to "live" updated feeds while at sea; so important was this game considered by the Armed Forces for troop & sailor morale.

The spectacle on TV is always stirring.  The tradition at the end of the game known as ' Honoring the Fallen' is one of CFB's greatest moments, imo:

"No matter what the outcome of the game, the players sing both teams' alma maters. The winners will join the losing team, facing the losing side's fans. Then, the two groups will do the same for the winning team. It's a simple act of respectful sportsmanship that reminds everyone they're on the same side."

It's is as noble a gesture as there is in all of College Football.  

This year, as always,  GO NAVY - BEAT ARMY!   GO USA

Edited by Mic
  • Like 2

On 11/21/2023 at 8:20 AM, Mic said:

As much as I love watching the Ducks & Beavers play the best rivalry game out there (imo) is the Army-Navy game.  I've already commented here on that game and how we submariners while serving in the Pacific were treated to "live" updated feeds while at sea; so important was this game considered by the Armed Forces for troop & sailor morale.

The spectacle on TV is always stirring.  The tradition at the end of the game known as ' Honoring the Fallen' is one of CFB's greatest moments, imo:

"No matter what the outcome of the game, the players sing both teams' alma maters. The winners will join the losing team, facing the losing side's fans. Then, the two groups will do the same for the winning team. It's a simple act of respectful sportsmanship that reminds everyone they're on the same side."

It's is as noble a gesture as there is in all of College Football.  

This year, as always,  GO NAVY - BEAT ARMY!   GO USA

Thanks for sharing!  That is indeed a great game!!  Especially since those who play in that game don't know where they may be headed next.  Many of us need to remember "it's just a game!" in the context of what our service men and women go through 

Edited by candyduck

There are other traditions associated only with the annual Army-Navy game that make it special.  I share three of the best here:

The Prisoner Exchange

Before the game kicks off, seven West Point cadets and seven Annapolis midshipmen will march to midfield in Philadelphia to be returned to their home military academies. These "prisoners" were sent to their rival service academies in the Service Academy Exchange Program, which sends students from each of four service academies (along with West Point and Annapolis, the Air Force Academy and the Coast Guard Academy also participate) for the fall semester.

The prestigious, competitive exchange program began its semester-long life in 1975 and has remained the same ever since. Each academy sends seven sophomore students to the other academies. The "Prisoner Exchange" allows the visiting cadets and mids to sit with their team's fans.

The Army-Navy Drumline Battle

At the Army-Navy game, there's more confrontation than just what happens on the football field. Before the game, the bands representing each branch engage in a drumline – one as much about showmanship as it is about skills with the sticks.

"The March On"

Before the kickoff of every Army-Navy game, the cadets of the U.S. Military Academy and the midshipmen of the U.S. Naval Academy take the field. No, not just the teams playing the game that day, the entire student body — thousands of people — march on the field in the way only drilled and trained U.S. troops can.

These games also feature some of the least-penalized games you're like to see - not that passions don't run high.

GO NAVY

As a former Submariner I was pleased as all get-out to see this one - sent to me by a former sub mate:

WWW.MILITARY.COM

The U.S. submarine force will be recognized during the 124th edition of the Army-Navy Game, being played Dec. 9 at the home of the New England Patriots. Navy will wear uniforms designed to...

Go Navy - Beat Army!

Cool stuff!  I've always thought this would be a great game to attend!  Now you've piqued my interest even more!!

Even though my stepfather was a die hard beaver, we always shared an appreciation for the Army Navy        game, especially when Uncle George, his brother could join us.

George was a Navy Vet, and a survivor of the Arizona, and Dad went from Normandy to the Battle of the Bulge.

The rivalry was strong in those two!

After the game, it was not unusual to see them hug it out, followed by bawling while watching a re-run of "White Christmas", or some other war movie, while reminiscing of comrades they'd lost.

Edited by woundedknees

When I was young, I had the privilege of attending an Army home game at West Point. It's a beautiful campus and setting. Highly recommend it, if you ever have the chance.

Go Army (and the other serve academies)!

ddba85283f469ca5c477481e44b7580b.jpg&f=1

8fdc6cfcbe0b07d8ad3f626a61270da8.jpg

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Like 1

12928.jpeg.fcb302c4d98200f36c9edb281680881e.jpeg

One of my favorite rivalries is no longer played which should be a cautionary tale because a lot of traditions just disappeared overnight. But, it is going to resume next season. The rivalry I’m talking about is Texas vs. Texas A&M. This was the biggest game of the year in the state of Texas. The Red River Shootout is just a warmup. 

The level of hatred for this game is unmatched. In fact, this hatred causes booster from both sides to make rash decisions like fire good coaches with winning records or give a coach a guaranteed contract and pay him $74M to go away. The fact that the Aggie fight song is solely about disparaging UT should tell you something. 

The traditions surrounding the game are second to none. The Aggie bonfire, midnight yell practice and the Texas alumni hex ceremony are just a few. However,  I’m not so sure about the accuracy of the tradition of taking the winning seniors to The Chicken Ranch. That was probably just made for the The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas movie. But, the depiction of the senator paying for everything is very accurate. 

IMG_2587.jpeg

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1