Duckster

The Knife Edge Ridge ... What Lies Ahead

Week 14 is upon us and the dreams of a magical season are still alive and resonating. But it's like being in the high mountains, breathing that rarified air. The summit stands clear and near but you stand along a knife edged ridge. Stumble here and you won't recover. It's about extreme focus now, the task at hand, one opponent at a time, no looking ahead.

For for an old salt like me though it's time for pause, and a moment of reflection, because 11-1 seasons don't come around very often, and it's worth taking in this view. As a program we started our climb some 30 years ago but you can count on one hand the number of times we've been this close to the summit. Chip, Helf, and MB all took their shots, only to fall agonizingly short. And now it's Coach Dan L's turn.

The question begs itself as to why it's so difficult for Oregon ... or any team not named Alabama or Georgia ... to get to this point. For me it's all about the alignment of three very basic elements : Coaching Stability, Recruiting/Roster Construction/Development, Quarterback.

For the 6 years prior to last year, coaching stability has derailed pretty much every Duck season. Starting with Helf's dismissal, we either lost an HC, DC, OC (or all three) at the end of every season. Impossible to establish any program  culture, system of play, or complimentary roster given that degree of turnover.

Recruiting is a given. But it's not about how many 5* you can pull in (hey there Mario!), as much as it's about building a complimentary roster in alignment with the systems you run. MC was (and still remains) the classic example of winning the offseason (recruiting), but either failing to develop or recruiting the wrong type talent for his system. It's why (imho) he'll continue fail at Miami and Coach Dan 'L will continue thrive at Oregon (more thoughts on that later).

Quarterback. It's pretty much a one word paragraph. Without a seasoned, highly skilled, efficient Quarterback your team basically has no shot at the playoffs, much less at the big prize. We have Bo Nix ... and my Duck brethren ... we need to sit back and savor the last moments of his remarkable two year run in Eugene. His kind doesn't come around very often (also more thoughts on this later).

And so we're back to this week. We have the coach, we have (tho not yet fully formed) the complimentary system and roster construction, and (the good lord bless him) we have the quarterback. Will that be enough to beat a very talented, battle tested Washington team and their 4 down wizard at quarterback? For Penix , like Willams, is capable of beating you on any down, at any distance, at any point on the field ... 4 down.

I think, at this point in the season, that Oregon is playing its best football and has been improving incrementally  since the loss.  I think we're as aligned as we've been since Chip left,  and I think we are now the more complete team. I think we win the rematch on Friday. What do you good folks think?

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 11/28/2023 at 7:18 PM, Duckster said:

we need to sit back and savor the last moments of his remarkable two year run in Eugene. His kind doesn't come around very often

Fully agree with what you said Duckster. Especially this right here. 

I am getting too nervous.  I agree this is the most complete team, but Good-Gosh the stakes are incredible.  What you win is amazing, and if you lose...it is more than just a loss.  Whew!

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Great thread @Duckster we certainly sit on the edge!  But never have we been here with a D so complementary to our O.

We are truly breathing rarified air!

But like @Charles Fischer, the nervousness persists.  We have been close before, only to come up short (for a variety of reasons).

I have faith in the 2023 version of OBD, and the DL coaching staff to go the distance, and I will savor every breath-taking, heart-pounding moment of it!

Go you Magnificent Mighty Ducks!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

"We need to Savor..."

This gets brought up a ton here. I agree with the statement. But I think it's what we do here at OBDF by default. Participating actively on this or any forum is "savoring the moment" in my opinion.

I work long hard grueling hours. There are two things I "savor" more than anything. Fall Saturdays and the time I get playing guitar. I cherish both equally.

I want so much more out of this season, but to me, this season has already become a huge success. I have enjoyed every minute of it. 

Beat the Husky and the rest is gravy. Whatever happens after that is the cherry on top. I will be satisfied. 

• Applause 2