FishDuck Article

Big-Ten Bound Ducks Hot on the Recruiting Trail

Seventeen days before early signing day and Oregon appears to be in a fantastic spot on the recruiting front. Currently sitting at second in the Big-Ten, how is the Ducks current class preparing them for the move to their new conference? Class Strengths Perhaps the most important position for Oregon to improve at, defensive back, sees the team with several ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Seventeen days before early signing day and Oregon appears to be in a fantastic spot on the recruiting front. Currently sitting at second in...
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I don't mean to be a broken record, but let me start up my turntable and say 'where is the speed!' Gatlin Bair would be nice to see commit, although he wouldn't be on campus for a couple years. I just hope this continues to be a priority as last years speed has been nice to see on the field. Seeing the dawg receivers get separation is only a start with tosu coming next season.

A concern is Van Buren's teammate Ify might now be iffy. Not sure about Da'Jaun, but these recruits from back east may be at risk as the idea of being so far from home sinks in. I love seeing recruits from across the country, but I hope they are solid, seeing them transfer after a year or two isn't the outcome we want with a player.

I do think we may see a DT transfer because a 22 year old lineman is most often different athlete than a recruit just out of high school. Time in the weight room is critical for the combat these guys see. I do like our LB recruits, with Platt checking just about every box I want to see in a football player who will have an impact right away. Not sure if Burch will be back, but they don't make guys like that too often!

Lastly Williams at safety will be tough to replace, not sure there is another brother? Having a guy there who runs the back of the defense for a few years would be nice, and puts fear in the receivers as they try crossing routes.

Lanning wants to recruit and develop, but any hole will be filled with transfers as the recruit, develop system works itself out. 

When Lanning arrived he recruited, and just tried to develop and use what he had on the field. This year he was able to continue to recruit and he also began to better effectively fill holes with transfers. His transfers were critical and I see that happening again as Lanning won't let the program have a weakness that isn't addressed asap.

The holes in the roster, and on the coaching front will be the next big moves Lanning makes. Hopefully the coaches stick around for the next year, but I have a feeling Lanning is going to go after some starters in the transfer portal. Who they will be will be the question that may impact the program the most next season.

• Thumbs Up 3

Losing Van Buren isn't a negative. There are a number of 4-5 star QB's in the portal that are better. Whether or not Ify scoots could be a concern. We need to reload the receiving corps. Dont'e Thornton, also a Baltimore product bolted and we're just fine. In fact, what has Dont'e done at Tennessee this year? Bottom line, not really worried about it DL will be able to bring in quality people high school or portal.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ryan certainly a lot to ponder from your article and very on target. Especially on, well everything.......

DL and his staff have showed us all that they can self examine their teams needs. Then thru recruiting at the HS or juco level or the portal fill those needs.......

Those coaching decisions turned the core of OBD's from MC's fluff 4 & 5 stars (mass transfers out) to a core filled with 4 and 5 star players with substance.

While i do share in this Forums grief and disappointment over the 4 three point losses the last 2 seasons that derailed  OBD's CFP opportunities, I feel it was execution on both sides of the ball, in key or critical moments that caused the losses.

Not glaring weaknesses or holes that need filling....

The double #@/(?% huskies and OBD's are very equal teams. I felt the winner of the PAC Title game could win the Natty.

This was a high level CFP game and the huskies executed a few more plays, when needed to win than the Ducks. In both games.......

Dan Lanning has been a HC for 26 games. KD a HC for 114 games (103-11) and 7 league titles. He game planned well, in both games, ro keep the Ducks about 2 TD's under their scoring avetage. The husky players executed their game plan and won the game. We will face that coaching talent level every year KD foolishly stays at uw. Someone in the SEC needs to throw ridiculous money at KD

The 2 contests were painful for Duck fans but they were 2 of the best contests played on the national scene, all year.

Whats done is done! On to the BIG 18.......and 2024....

Ryan you and Haywarduck are spot on in your posts. We need tall, talented, speedy NFL type D backs on the roster. Especially against tOSU, usc and the huskies. Those 3 schools field NFL WR's that stretch the field.

The front 7 needs the 3 freaks to create havoc. Without all the pieces the Ducks will not make the CFP. Not a gloom and doom prediction, just fact.

DL and staff know what the needs are that must be filled. I am confident that they will endure the players declaring for the draft and transfers out by taking the best players in the portal 

It wont be a lack of talent on the roster in 2024. Just like 2022 and 2023 it will be about the execution.

Damn, i am HappyToBeADuck and headed to a NY6 bowl game. The CFP appearance? Depends on filling out Ryan and Haywarduck's recipe for success.

GO DUCKS!

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2023 at 7:57 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Someone in the SEC needs to throw ridiculous money at KD

KD at Ohio State or Michigan would be scary...

• Thumbs Up 1