FishDuck Article

The Oregon Ducks Offense: Play-Action TE Screen

Offensive coordinator Will Stein introduced a number of plays to the Oregon Ducks offense this season that made it one of the most formidable units in the nation. Much of what Coach Stein does from a passing game standpoint comes from the West Coast Offense, which utilizes horizontal and quick passes to force the defense to adjust before taking a ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Offensive coordinator Will Stein introduced a number of plays to the Oregon Ducks offense this season that made it one of the most formidable...
  • Great post! 1
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

So much going on.  I love it!  This was my favorite play of the year when you wrote about the five top plays.

The defense has to make adjustments with so much going on.  Advantage offense.  I like that if a defense is prepared to take away the running game or to take away the short crossing routes this play burns them.

Don't we love Coach Will Stein's creative offense.  I can't wait to see what he creates in year two.

Thank you Coach Eric.  Your articles all season have been the best for me.  Merry Christmas and Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 2

Awesome breakdown; thanks Coach!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Great stuff, and I need clarification on what an O-lineman can do on a pass play.

Seems like our O-lineman are around 5 yds downfield when the pass is made. Is this a penalty, or is it ok because the pass is behind the line of scrimmage which makes it ok?

On that play the RB is also open behind the LOS, is that to make sure these is another outlet? It is amazing when you watch all that is going on!

Love the play, only thing which could have made it better would have been Herbert handing it to Jackson P-J to get a touchdown, but the finish line move was an instant classic. Really focusing in on what each O-lineman did is also telling about how good that group could execute.

• Thumbs Up 2

Incredible play call that even worked for a first down against UW, and they probably knew it was coming. With the OL releasing downfield once the TE drifts into the flat, the essential rule is to catch the ball behind the LOS to avoid that penalty that vexed the Ducks all too often this year.

Using the TEs in Stein's offense is a winner from every angle. These plays stress a defense to no end.  Every good NFL offense has a TE weapon. Think Kittle, Kelce, Andrews, Hockenson and of course recently retired Gronk. Bowers will be the next in line.

Hopefully we get TFerg back for another year to amp up the Oregon offense and give him a shot at the next level.

• Thumbs Up 3

Haywarduck said, "Really focusing in on what each O-lineman did is also telling about how good that group could execute."

What's great about this line is they can and will get better!  Watch the video in 0.5 speed.  #74 Steven Jones RG and #55 Marcus Harper RT fake a double team and proceed to the left.  Jones becomes part of the convoy and Harper turns back to take care of the pursuit.

Coach Terry is doing a fine job with the offensive line.  This Oregon staff is blending well and will get better.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/15/2023 at 9:58 AM, Smith72 said:

So much going on.  I love it!  This was my favorite play of the year when you wrote about the five top plays.

The defense has to make adjustments with so much going on.  Advantage offense.  I like that if a defense is prepared to take away the running game or to take away the short crossing routes this play burns them.

Don't we love Coach Will Stein's creative offense.  I can't wait to see what he creates in year two.

Thank you Coach Eric.  Your articles all season have been the best for me.  Merry Christmas and Go Ducks!

There’s a lot going on for a defense in the play, and it really takes advantage of the west coast principles that the passing attack is built on.

Merry Christmas to you too!

On 12/15/2023 at 12:53 PM, Haywarduck said:

Great stuff, and I need clarification on what an O-lineman can do on a pass play.

Seems like our O-lineman are around 5 yds downfield when the pass is made. Is this a penalty, or is it ok because the pass is behind the line of scrimmage which makes it ok?

On that play the RB is also open behind the LOS, is that to make sure these is another outlet? It is amazing when you watch all that is going on!

Love the play, only thing which could have made it better would have been Herbert handing it to Jackson P-J to get a touchdown, but the finish line move was an instant classic. Really focusing in on what each O-lineman did is also telling about how good that group could execute.

Good question. In college, offensive lineman can be downfield if the ball is thrown behind the line of scrimmage. 

That’s why RPOs that are screens never get called for ineligible downfield. It’s only the RPOs that are thrown past the LOS that run the risk. 

I’ve seen some wonder if that hinders the run portion of the play — like are the linemen holding back to avoid penalty. The answer is no, the OL isn’t concerned with that at all. They block just like it’s a pure run play and it’s the QB’s responsibility to get the ball out in time. 

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1