Jon Joseph

COACH O + LSU AGREE TO PART WAYS

A 49-42 defeat of Florida Saturday did not save Ed O's job. Ed will walk at the end of 2021 with a $14M buy out. THAT will buy a whole lot of gumbo.

With USC looking for a new HC, that's 2 big jobs that have to be filled.

The LSU AD likes to hire big names. He's the guy who convinced Coach Pete to leave Boise for UW and the guy who hired Jimbo at A+M.

On 10/17/2021 at 3:06 PM, Jon Joseph said:

With USC looking for a new HC, that's 2 big jobs that have to be filled.

Ed had a lot a love as Interim Coach at USC, but they went with Helton. I don't see Fickell leaving Cincy for Heritage Hall, maybe Ed will end up back at USC?

$14M in addition to what he's been paid to go away? I think he stays on the Bayou?

Like Gene Chizak (RATS!) Coach O caught lightning in a bottle.

On 10/17/2021 at 3:10 PM, 30Duck said:

Ed had a lot a love as Interim Coach at USC, but they went with Helton.

USC has a knack of firing their head coaches mid season... They have fired their last three head coaches during the season.

Orgeron was the interm HC after Kiffin was fired. The players loved him but USC hired Sark instead. A year and a bit later they fired Sark and then Helton became intern head coach... And was then hired as full time HC. 

Don't know how I remember all that..  

What we can gather from all this is that with all the "Tradition" at USC, they are not exactly a magnet for top coaches. Carroll wasn't great when they hired him, and Helton was the best they could find. Aside from Carroll's run, the best USC Coaches were former Ducks, John McKay and John Robinson. 

On 10/17/2021 at 6:14 PM, Jon Joseph said:

$14M in addition to what he's been paid to go away? I think he stays on the Bayou?

Like Gene Chizak (RATS!) Coach O caught lightning in a bottle.

Sorry, the pay out is 17 not 14M. Peanuts, right?

On 10/17/2021 at 6:19 PM, David Marsh said:

USC has a knack of firing their head coaches mid season... They have fired their last three head coaches during the season.

Orgeron was the interm HC after Kiffin was fired. The players loved him but USC hired Sark instead. A year and a bit later they fired Sark and then Helton became intern head coach... And was then hired as full time HC. 

Don't know how I remember all that..  

Because you are young + intelligent?

What if Haden had kept O and not gone Sark? Haden was the only guy in the building who did not know that Sark, and God bless his recovery, did not have a drinking problem. And then kept Helton on? And then Swann gave Helton a pay raise? 

It's as if SC internally destroyed itself?

In a Ted-Lasso-in-reverse move, LSU is going to hire Jose Mourinho 

Rumor has it that Cristobal is one of the top names being considered by LSU. I can't imagine that after paying off Coach O that LSU will be able to afford Cristobal's buy out, but he's definitely being considered. Could Cristobal be enticed to go coach one of the major players in the SEC? One thing is for certain, Cristobal is starting to feel the heat of unsatisfied Duck fans whose criticism of his coaching decisions and players has definitely amped up this season. People in the know have said that Mario was FURIOUS that fans booed his team in Autzen on Saturday night, which isn't surprising. The sledding ahead is going to be interesting.

On 10/18/2021 at 12:24 AM, latracey said:

Rumor has it that Cristobal is one of the top names being considered by LSU. I can't imagine that after paying off Coach O that LSU will be able to afford Cristobal's buy out, but he's definitely being considered. Could Cristobal be enticed to go coach one of the major players in the SEC? One thing is for certain, Cristobal is starting to feel the heat of unsatisfied Duck fans whose criticism of his coaching decisions and players has definitely amped up this season. People in the know have said that Mario was FURIOUS that fans booed his team in Autzen on Saturday night, which isn't surprising. The sledding ahead is going to be interesting.

In today's numerous articles regarding the next LSU coach Cristobal did not make many lists and was down the line on the lists he made.

He isn't that big a name but I agree with 30 Duck that Mel Tucker is a big time candidate. Mel played CFB at Wisconsin but had assistant coaching and recruiting success in the SEC before he left for the CU job.

MSU in 2021 has gone from scoring 16 points a game in 2020 to 38 a game  and looking at the stats the MI ST D is playing twice as well as it played in 2020.

Sparty is idle this week but has a huge upcoming game in E Lansing vs Michigan on 10/30.

Still, I think Jimbo is the #1 candidate in AD Scott Woodward's mind? Woodward hired Jimbo away from FSU to A+M. Jimbo has a huge salary but a $0 buyout. 

On 10/18/2021 at 8:19 AM, Jon Joseph said:

. Jimbo has a huge salary but a $0 buyout. 

Is this ridiculous? Was his contract with A & M  overseen by a beer taster?

On 10/18/2021 at 11:27 AM, 30Duck said:

Is this ridiculous? Was his contract with A & M  overseen by a beer taster?

A+M fans are crazy enough to pay $70M for the 2 Ws the Aggies now have against Saint Nick? One came under Sumlin with Manziel at QB.

Jimbo is making a whole lot of $ to finish 2nd or worse in the SEC W.

Probably overseen by moonshine guzzlers?

• Haha 1