Charles Fischer

Sudden Video Blaring at You? Slow Loading on Mobile Phone?

I swear...if I am not dealing with a Spammer trying to get in, an OBD member acting like a petulant child who wants special treatment, or a damn technology issue...it would not be a normal day managing a forum!

I do need to know, either in the comments to this thread, or to my email charles@fishduck.com if you have either of these issues or more.

1. I eliminated the videos going on automatically about ten days ago by throwing a fit with our advertising platform provider who plugged them in without my permission, and now had to remove them. Bastards.  Now, over the last three days I get an ad video giving me a ten second audio burst if I dawdle too long reading a post.

If this bugs you too?  You will know I have a LOW tolerance level for this nonsense, and I bugged them again to get this one removed too.  It looks like as of today--it is gone.  Of course they deny that anything was different.  (Right!)

2. Suddenly the forum on my mobile phone is loading SUPER-SLOW, and I don't know if it is my phone, our forum hosting company or the damn advertising platform again..  Are YOU having this problem? 

giphy.gif

I do not have the patience for this stuff!

Mr. FishDuck

Haven't experienced any of those issues, Charles, but then I visit the forum through my desktop computer, so maybe that's why? (Knock on wood.)

On 12/23/2023 at 7:14 PM, Annie said:

Haven't experienced any of those issues, Charles, but then I visit the forum through my desktop computer, so maybe that's why? (Knock on wood.)

Thanks.  I've had the audio from video on desktop, and the other issues on the mobile phone.

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks for all you do Charles. This forum is a great part of my day. Happy holidays!

Thank you Charles for all you do. I have had the same issues you mentioned when using my phone. However as much as I, like you, dislike this nonsense, I will not give up this fantastic sanctuary you have created. Thank you and Merry Christmas!

I use both my laptop and phone. I have noticed the ad video. My phone has not been slow.

On 12/24/2023 at 8:55 AM, JB89 said:

I use both my laptop and phone. I have noticed the ad video. My phone has not been slow.

Is the ad video audio still coming on?

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/24/2023 at 9:29 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Is the ad video audio still coming on?

I noticed the ad video last night. I have not noticed it yet today.

I always use my phone. In the past, months ago the site was loading Slow. Video ads start a little while ago and I can't recall having one pop up in the last few days. The site sealed to be loading at normal speeds for me.

Yeah, since I wrote the post...site loading on mobile as gone back to a faster, normal speed.  This is what I hate about this advertising platform that I'm locked into--they make changes all the time that affect things, and mess it up for us.  I am usually complaining right away, and they deny it was them, and then the problem goes away after I complain.  (Not them....right!)

But this time I did not get to my complaints very quickly, and I assume enough other publishers did complain--and the problem has been fixed.  Bastards.

Whoops, I mean, "Bah-Humbug!"

Mr. FishDuck