Ktmguy2018

Deboer Being Compared To Cristobal

I was watching this game and yelling "Just take a knee"...not because I wanted the Huskies to win, but because it's the smart thing to do...

Nope, he runs the ball and their stud RB is injured.  Not to mention giving Texas a chance to win the game.

TROJANSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Do these coaches never learn?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yeah I mentioned the same points in the thread about the game. And I didn't even know about the RB injury then which, of course, makes the clock mismanagement issue even worse for its consequences. 

That's a pretty low blow, comparing KD to MC. I mean, yeah, it was a bad decision, possibly costly, but give KD the benefit of the doubt. MC has made these kind of mistakes throughout his HC career. 

Has KD?

Although, it was a pretty terrible call from such an experienced coach, and coach of the year, no less. 

Let's hope Johnson has a chance to see the field on Monday. He's part of the reason why they're heading there. I'd hate to see that kid miss the game he's worked so hard towards. 

Also, I hate the Huskies. ... Just sayin'. 

A comparison is warranted.  They both caused us to lose games.

• Haha 5
  • Mic drop 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/3/2024 at 10:18 AM, Krsmqn said:

That's a pretty low blow, comparing KD to MC. I mean, yeah, it was a bad decision, possibly costly, but give KD the benefit of the doubt. MC has made these kind of mistakes throughout his HC career. 

Has KD?

Although, it was a pretty terrible call from such an experienced coach, and coach of the year, no less. 

Let's hope Johnson has a chance to see the field on Monday. He's part of the reason why they're heading there. I'd hate to see that kid miss the game he's worked so hard towards. 

Also, I hate the Huskies. ... Just sayin'. 

Johnson was also mismanaged. He played through a ligament injury and paid the price by tearing it all the way through. He's done for the season.

• Wow 2

On 1/3/2024 at 11:33 AM, Solar said:

He's done for the season.

Where are you seeing that? I just read that DeBoer said they are expecting Johnson to play. 

While KD is far superior to Cristobal, that doesn’t justify giving him the benefit of the doubt as I’ve seen suggested in previous posts.  In fact, it makes it worse.  

It wasn’t just one decision, it was a series of decisions starting with the 3rd down throw on the previous possession.  

It was clear they were playing for the FG as getting a two possession lead was the highest priority outcome.  Yes, a TD would have been the best outcome but at minimum they needed TX to burn its second timeout.  The time likely left after an onside recovery would enable kneeling down for the win. 

I am not a probability guru but I have to believe the win % was higher post FG and TX having one timeout left than the risk of TX scoring, recovering the onside, and then scoring again for the win.  

To then NOT kneel down post onside was insane.  The risk of anything bad happening was astronomically lower than the path KD chose and that risk came to fruition.  

These aren’t heat of the moment mistakes and I can’t buy any argument that suggests grace for this reason.  End of game scenarios and how to play them should be second nature and automatic for a coach of KD’s experience and skill. 

It was a colossal failure of decision making and by every right, comparison to Cristobal is both fair and warranted 

I should say that I like KD as a coach so the above isn’t meant to take anything away from him.  It’s simply a willingness to judge his actions for what they were and what a coach of his caliber should be expected to do. 

Edited by CalBear95
  • Thumbs Up 1