Ktmguy2018

The Lie Of College Football

"It's not personal, it's business". 

Most of us know a variation of this quote from "The Godfather", as Corleone makes his declaration of revenge.  Tom Hanks alluded to this in "You've Got Mail" as he prepared to force Meg Ryan to close her store, "It's not personal".  Meg Ryan had one of the best responses to this that I have ever heard,

"What is that supposed to mean? I am so sick of that. All that means is that it wasn't personal to you. But it was personal to me. It's *personal* to a lot of people. And what's so wrong with being personal, anyway?"

I was reminded of this quote when I read a response from UW edge rusher Zion Tuputola-Fetui Friday after Deboer left the program,  “Sometimes we have to be reminded it’s all a business.” 

When I read that, I immediately thought this is a player who is hurt by what he views as a betrayal from his head coach and he is trying to justify that hurt by making the situation seem sterile and innocuous.

Before I go much further, I will acknowledge that my viewpoint is NOT true 100% of the time.  I recognize that.  But, I believe from what I've heard from many players (Bo Nix included), that this is more than often right.  Okay, on we go.

College football players commit to a program.  But, before they commit to that program, they form relationships with the faces of that program; coaches, assistant coaches, coordinators.  Those relationships MATTER.  How many times do we read the reason for a players commit to a program is "it felt like a family", "I like how they are a family", "I felt like I was important and belonged", "they made me feel that I was wanted".  

Those are the NOT quotes of someone detached and making a business decision.  Those are bonding quotes; quotes of belonging and family denote deep relationships being forged.  That feeling, of belonging; is a fundamental human need.  That is not only my opinion, The National Institute of Health agrees, 

"A sense of belonging—the subjective feeling of deep connection with social groups, physical places, and individual and collective experiences—is a fundamental human need that predicts numerous mental, physical, social, economic, and behavioral outcomes."  

As fans, we take on some of this as well.  Granted, we were not recruited by WT or MC, but we embraced them into OUR family, the Oregon family.  We were immediately invested in how they performed and the work they accomplished.  Speaking for myself, I defended some of their game-time decisions and miscues.  The completely objective part of me should have been able to see that they were not the best fit for Oregon, that there were cracks.  But that invested part of me, that part of me that had welcomed them into my Duck family; I wanted to believe they had our best interests at heart.  

When they left, that was a betrayal.  Were they great coaches, nope.  I think we can all agree to that.  But the betrayal, anger, and hurt came from our (my) PERSONAL feelings about them being part of the family.  These players that commit to that environment experience that same feeling on a scale that I cannot relate to.  All of the practice and preparation hours spent with these coaches is so much more than the 3 hours I invest on a Saturday.

I could spend a lot of time discussing how many of these kids do not have the best backgrounds or homelife and for some, this may be the closest thing to a family they feel.  That, however is not the purpose of this post, this is:

Why was Dan Lanning's video so impactful?  Why are media folks (Pat Mcafee, ON3, 247, etc) calling it epic?  Because it was.  Not the cinematography of the video.  No, it was the message that was conveyed.  You see, we have all been poisoned by the "It's not personal, it's business" lie. 

Dan Lanning's video was the antidote.  It went to the heart of those bonds that we have all built together over the last two years.  Dan Lanning wasn't just telling the players he was committed.  He was telling all of us as well!  He GETS family and connection, relationships, and bonds.  It was important to him to let everyone know, "I am here because I WANT to be here.  I'm not leaving." 

Now, I don't know if Alabama called Dan Lanning.  But, what I do know is that he cared enough about the relationships, about the bonds, about the FAMILY that has been built with OBD that he wanted to let them know where he stood.  Would DL coach here if he wasn't being paid?  I doubt it, so from that standpoint I get there is a business tie to him being here.  But, what he said, what he projected, what he IS; does NOT say "this is business".  Quite the opposite, it says "This is personal".  DL told his team, he told his family (us), he told all of the players considering this as a place to be; "YOU all are MY family too".

I can guarantee you that the folks to the north of us would give anything to have had their departed coach do that.  I will finish this post with the remainder of the quote between Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan when she tells him, 

"Whatever else anything is, it ought to begin by being personal."

• Great post! 6
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 1/13/2024 at 1:24 PM, Ktmguy2018 said:

Now, I don't know if Alabama called Dan Lanning.

According to Scott Read, Alabama did contact coach Lanning.

Flock Talk: Family and Privilege

ScottRead - DuckSports Authority

Staff Writer

Sharing some excerpts from Scott Read.  What's interesting to take note of is starting in the 5th paragraph below:

Wednesday night was different. It never felt like it did with Taggart or even Mario. Part of that is simple, Dan Lanning is – in my opinion – at his dream job. He has taken Oregon recruiting to unprecedented heights. And, you know what, if he has a year where the class is ‘only’ ranked number 15, the fans in Eugene probably will not have the kind of melt down they would in Tuscaloosa, or Athens, or Columbus, or Texas, or a few other places where there is no off switch; where there is no such thing as an acceptable down cycle; where expectations are to win a national championship within four years or be looking for a new job.

What a few coaches have not realized is that Oregon offers something that is sustainable long term: exceptional resources and much more reasonable expectations.

I know some local journalists are still torqued about how Oregon fans treated Mark Helfrich, but remember, his ouster was not about the record in 2016. That season was a symptom of a bigger disease. It was the result of apathy on the recruiting trail, an arrogance that Xs and Os could overcome a significant deficiency in talent, and a culture that had rotted from within based on the apathy. Had Helfrich not bought the trite belief that Oregon could not be an elite recruiting school and recruited like the last three coaches have, I think he would still have a job. But that kind of effort on the recruiting trail was not in the DNA of the former staff.

The announcement by Dan Lanning that he is returning should put to rest the yearly concerns about the ‘next big thing’ job that opens up. I know that many Alabama pundits are spouting off that Lanning was ‘never really a candidate’ but they are simply inaccurate. Athletic Directors never, ever want to let the world know how many guys they missed out on so they saying that ‘there is no offer until someone accepts’ has become dogma. 

Lanning was asked about his interest very early in the process. He was absolutely the first guy that Greg Byrne wanted. Lanning was adamant that he was happy at Oregon. Byrne contacted Lanning’s agent on multiple occasions this season to continue feeling out the interest level. Is it true Lanning was not officially offered? Sure. But that is because Lanning said he was not interested in leaving long before the sides could even discuss potential terms.

Don’t buy the negative spin that Alabama did not want Lanning. They did. He said no. That sends a message loud and clear to the Oregon faithful, to recruits, to current staff members, to potential future staff members, and to families of recruits that Oregon is not going to be a stepping stone any longer. Rob Mullens took a chance on Lanning and Lanning is going to continue to pay dividends (and receive some as well!) with that opportunity.

He said no to Alabama. I don’t know that there is anything out there that will top what he could have had – because he feels he has all of that and more in Eugene.

OREGON.RIVALS.COM

Today in Flock Talk, how Dan Lanning just reshaped college football, plus a look ahead to another Polynesian Bowl.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

One thing that struck me in the face is that the rest of the nation realizes that the Ducks are not to be taken lightly any more, that Alabama may not be that guy anymore, and the Tide may not get as many of the best players any more. 

Oh my Good Gosh did a coach from Oregon just turn down the bama job, the Nerv.

Been a great year so far and seems like there is more great news every day. Gotta love it all.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dan talks the talk and walks the walk. New deals already in the works for Sark and Kiff. DL?

It is a Business that started with OK and UGA breaking up the NCAA's broadcast monopoly. NCAA Prez Baker relizes this which is why he's advocating for a sererate division for big time football programs. For once, the NCAA is ahead of the curb.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/13/2024 at 1:49 PM, NJDuck said:

According to Scott Read, Alabama did contact coach Lanning.

Flock Talk: Family and Privilege

ScottRead - DuckSports Authority

Staff Writer

Sharing some excerpts from Scott Read.  What's interesting to take note of is starting in the 5th paragraph below:

Wednesday night was different. It never felt like it did with Taggart or even Mario. Part of that is simple, Dan Lanning is – in my opinion – at his dream job. He has taken Oregon recruiting to unprecedented heights. And, you know what, if he has a year where the class is ‘only’ ranked number 15, the fans in Eugene probably will not have the kind of melt down they would in Tuscaloosa, or Athens, or Columbus, or Texas, or a few other places where there is no off switch; where there is no such thing as an acceptable down cycle; where expectations are to win a national championship within four years or be looking for a new job.

What a few coaches have not realized is that Oregon offers something that is sustainable long term: exceptional resources and much more reasonable expectations.

I know some local journalists are still torqued about how Oregon fans treated Mark Helfrich, but remember, his ouster was not about the record in 2016. That season was a symptom of a bigger disease. It was the result of apathy on the recruiting trail, an arrogance that Xs and Os could overcome a significant deficiency in talent, and a culture that had rotted from within based on the apathy. Had Helfrich not bought the trite belief that Oregon could not be an elite recruiting school and recruited like the last three coaches have, I think he would still have a job. But that kind of effort on the recruiting trail was not in the DNA of the former staff.

The announcement by Dan Lanning that he is returning should put to rest the yearly concerns about the ‘next big thing’ job that opens up. I know that many Alabama pundits are spouting off that Lanning was ‘never really a candidate’ but they are simply inaccurate. Athletic Directors never, ever want to let the world know how many guys they missed out on so they saying that ‘there is no offer until someone accepts’ has become dogma. 

Lanning was asked about his interest very early in the process. He was absolutely the first guy that Greg Byrne wanted. Lanning was adamant that he was happy at Oregon. Byrne contacted Lanning’s agent on multiple occasions this season to continue feeling out the interest level. Is it true Lanning was not officially offered? Sure. But that is because Lanning said he was not interested in leaving long before the sides could even discuss potential terms.

Don’t buy the negative spin that Alabama did not want Lanning. They did. He said no. That sends a message loud and clear to the Oregon faithful, to recruits, to current staff members, to potential future staff members, and to families of recruits that Oregon is not going to be a stepping stone any longer. Rob Mullens took a chance on Lanning and Lanning is going to continue to pay dividends (and receive some as well!) with that opportunity.

He said no to Alabama. I don’t know that there is anything out there that will top what he could have had – because he feels he has all of that and more in Eugene.

OREGON.RIVALS.COM

Today in Flock Talk, how Dan Lanning just reshaped college football, plus a look ahead to another Polynesian Bowl.

Yet, this poor excuse for a sports journalist thinks DL wasn’t anywhere close to Bama’s first choice. 

“It’s rare in sports, especially college football to see a coach demonstrate as much loyalty to a team as Dan Lanning has shown to the Oregon Ducks.” Pat McAfee

In this conversation, it’s useful to point out how competitive college football coaching has become. These guys quickly accustom themselves at the start of their careers to change - with a capital C. It’s how they learn their craft and make the connections so necessary to their long term success: they move; they learn. But they also know that same dynamic works against them, in that the central internalized message of wins and loses is what will determine their staying power. And the higher they climb, the lesser the margin for error becomes.

That’s why, as McAfee points out, we’re developing a relationship with a rare one - one step at a time. Lanning didn’t knee jerk into the expected response of, ‘striking while the iron was hot’ as our neighbor to the north did. 

For DeBoer, it’s business. For Dan, it’s personal. That is indeed rare in the world of CFB coaching.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 1/13/2024 at 3:36 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Yet, this poor excuse for a sports journalist thinks DL wasn’t anywhere close to Bama’s first choice.

Evidently Fentress didn't do his due diligence.  If he had he wouldn't have made a foolish knee-jerk response.

Talk about a guy with lesser resume. Sounds a little hypocritical.