Desert Duck

Was DeBoer Bama's 4th Choice?

Was Bama turned down by their Top-3 choices? It sounds like that may, in fact, be the case.

It's quite clear that DL was their first choice, apparently followed by Kirby & Sark.

I'm not sure that bodes well for Bama or DeBoer.

HEAVY.COM

The Alabama Crimson Tide may have received several "no's" from top...

I'm sure they called Lanning, Smart, Norvell and Sark. 

And I'm sure all said... "I'm honored to be considered but no thanks" 

Bama and Washington fans will try and spin it and say DeBoer was their first choice... But the reality is that all the first choices were never options to begin with. 

It is funny to watch Bama fans squirm because they firmly believe they can have anyone they want. The reality is that Bama has incredible resources but so do Oregon, Texas, Georgia and many other schools. 

Bama's big X-factor has been Saban. Still one of the top jobs in college football but I don't honestly think there is a singlular TOP JOB in college football. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Long term Alabama is just another good coaching job. The times r a changin

• Thumbs Up 1

Alabama's AD talked about it today.  He positions it as building candidate plans A, B, C, D without a priority.  My interpretation of it, "you're all equal until somebody says yes.

Alabama AD Greg Byrne discusses DeBoer hiring | Watch (msn.com)

Edited by HDuck

How much big winning did Bama do before the Saban era? And I mean in modern times. 

It's been a mixed bag.

99% of that wasn't in the recent world of CFB. With the portal, NIL, etc... 

Best of luck DeBoer... you just may need it. 

Edited by Krsmqn

I don't get why Drinkwitz and Fisch weren't on the list. Both are doing a lot with a little, even in recruiting.

Maybe the Bama AD only plans on being around for 2 years and figured it would be better to get a splashy win now hire instead of a nobody program builder.

I think Norvell was prob 1st on the list.

On 1/13/2024 at 3:21 PM, Solar said:

I don't get why Drinkwitz and Fisch weren't on the list. Both are doing a lot with a little, even in recruiting.

Maybe the Bama AD only plans on being around for 2 years and figured it would be better to get a splashy win now hire instead of a nobody program builder.

Bama can't do anything but hire a big name. Their AD is trapped in that regard. 

Could you imagine Bama hiring a coordinator who had never been a HC before... Especially someone who didn't have any connections to the program? Some like Dan Lanning to Oregon. 

Their fanbase would flip the fricken out! 

Now I know the AD's job is about what's best for the university and not what fans want.... However, sometimes what fans want is what's best because they're the ones who fill the seats. 

Bama either had to hire a big name coach from outside the program or promote someone from within. 

This is the curse of all blue bloods. Look at USC, LSU, Texas or any other blue bloods. They go big or go within. 

On 1/13/2024 at 3:31 PM, David Marsh said:

Bama can't do anything but hire a big name. Their AD is trapped in that regard. 

Could you imagine Bama hiring a coordinator who had never been a HC before... Especially someone who didn't have any connections to the program? Some like Dan Lanning to Oregon. 

Their fanbase would flip the fricken out! 

Now I know the AD's job is about what's best for the university and not what fans want.... However, sometimes what fans want is what's best because they're the ones who fill the seats. 

Bama either had to hire a big name coach from outside the program or promote someone from within. 

This is the curse of all blue bloods. Look at USC, LSU, Texas or any other blue bloods. They go big or go within. 

Yeah, but look what A&M did as an exception. And Bama fans aren't stupid, they know recruiting is what made Saban great and DeBoer can't recruit. Plenty of articles on the subject already. Fan's seem pretty uneasy about the hire from what I see.

On 1/13/2024 at 3:36 PM, Solar said:

Yeah, but look what A&M did as an exception. And Bama fans aren't stupid, they know recruiting is what made Saban great and DeBoer can't recruit. Plenty of articles on the subject already. Fan's seem pretty uneasy about the hire from what I see.

TAMU picked someone with existing connections to the program. He was the DC there before he left to become the HC at Duke. 

Also I think DeBoer was really the only splashy choice for Bama.

I think Saban waiting to announce his retirement was a mistake. Sure, it allowed him to get this recruiting class but announcing earlier in the coaching carousel may have given them more options. 

Washington did well hiring from Fresno State....would they hire the Liberty coach?  I was impressed, as give him B1G athletes in his offense?  He would be tough, and he has been a HC already.  He is known as one of the up-and-comers in the college coaching ranks.

He is where DeBoer was not many years ago.  Oregon did OK hiring from little New Hampshire...

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Sorry to bring it up again but where is the evidence Lanning was offered the Bama job?  I am glad Deboer is gone as he, in my opinion, is currently a better coach than Lanning.  But I still am curious if we have actual EVIDENCE (not supposition) of Lanning turning down the job and not just homer hagiography worship of Lanning and hoping he chose Oregon over Bama.  All that being said I am so glad Lanning is our coach. 

On 1/13/2024 at 4:42 PM, Utki said:

Sorry to bring it up again but where is the evidence Lanning was offered the Bama job?  I am glad Deboer is gone as he, in my opinion, is currently a better coach than Lanning.  But I still am curious if we have actual EVIDENCE (not supposition) of Lanning turning down the job and not just homer hagiography worship of Lanning and hoping he chose Oregon over Bama.  All that being said I am so glad Lanning is our coach. 

It was not a secret in coaching circles that this was probably Nick's last ride.

Other interesting factiod, Saban, Norvell,Lanning and DeBoer and Sark  all have the same agent, Jimmy Sexton. 

Guessing when they talked it was about more than the local weather.