Steven A

Oh My! Huskies Now Have Only THREE Starters Left From 2023!

Linebacker Alphonzo Tuputala, cornerback Elijah Jackson, and Buelow are the only UW starters remaining.    

• Wow 2

On 1/14/2024 at 5:21 PM, Steven A said:

Linebacker Alphonzo Tuputala, cornerback Elijah Jackson and Brailsford and Buelow are the only UW starters remaining.    

I'm expecting Fisch to set a portal record for how many transfers they bring from a single school. Something like half of the starters that beat Oklahoma in the bowl game.

To your point though, hey still will be VERY light on depth, regardless of how much success they have in the portal. 

Click on post to enlarge...easier to read

Washington beat Texas, they got to the title game. They went undefeated, beating a more talented roster in Oregon. But they got a taste of the physicality they can expect in their new conference.

With or without Deboer, they are going to struggle yearly with their talent level. Oregon would've beat Michigan, I believe that wholeheartedly. This isn't a slight on Washington. More of a compliment they got as far as they did.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Duckley Palace...that is a pretty good first post!  Great to have you in this wonderful community--do post often and WELCOME!

Mr. FishDuck

I think we'll see Washington get a few guys to come back, it usually happens where a few guys dip their toes into the portal or flirt with the NFL, then they meet the new coach and decide to come back.

On 1/15/2024 at 4:43 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Duckley Palace...that is a pretty good first post!  Great to have you in this wonderful community--do post often and WELCOME!

Thanks Charles. I'll be respectful of even our down on their luck neighbors up north. But I can't guarantee I won't relish a bit in their recent riches to rags status. Losing three straight causes some feelings you know.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Here's What Fisch Has Inherited From Diminished Husky Football Roster

The UW has just 64 players on scholarship, 21 under the limit.

Newly hired Jedd Fisch, no matter what he says at his introductory news conference on Tuesday morning, is facing a rebuild.

By stepping up as the fourth Husky football coach in six revolving-door seasons, Fisch will pay a price for the continuous leadership turnover and prior personnel mistakes made that DeBoer was able to sidestep.

In six weeks time, the Huskies have had nearly four dozen players graduate, enter the portal, ask for scholarship releases or de-commit. While two were future recruits, that still pencils out to a near 40 percent roster rollover, which is going to inflict some pain no matter what's done.

You simply can't find quality replacements for all of these guys at once, especially this late in a recruiting cycle.

With a pair of subpar recruiting classes — and no starters to show for it now — someone will have to pay for it. That will be Fisch initially. Of his 64 inherited players, just 14 have even started a UW game.

No Husky position area currently is well stocked, especially quarterback, where in the past week starter Michael Penix Jr. used up his eligibility, back-up Dylan Morris transferred to James Madison, reclassified freshman Austin Mack entered the transfer portal, Mississippi State transfer Will Rogers re-entered the portal, San Diego State transfer Will Haskell re-entered the portal and 2025 Southern California recruit Jackson Kollock de-committed.

Fisch better get his rest, make sure his phone numbers are up to date and buckle up. 

https://www.si.com/college/washington/football/heres-what-fisch-has-inherited-from-diminished-husky-football-roster

And he is going to still be looking for a proven quarterback!

Mr. FishDuck

The plight of the Huskies....

200.gif

• Haha 5

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/16/2024 at 11:35 AM, NJDuck said:

The UW has just 64 players on scholarship, 21 under the limit.

This is absolutely brutal. Sure they can work on filling a lot of those positions via the portal but as I have said multiple times the best players in the portal this year are cycling through now or have already chcled through. 

Sure he'll bring some from zona but I doubt it'll be 20. I suspect 10 at most. But I've been wrong a lot lately so what do I know. 

The spring portal will open and teams like Oregon will be looking at shedding a few players because of potential overages. Living over the scholarship limit is how rosters are managed these days, not under. 

Also... As we've seen with Colorado, there is plenty of average to good players in the portal but very few great players. Teams like Oregon snatch up the great players.

It's going to be ugly at Washington that's for sure. 

Jedd's only option is to go all-in on Will Rogers and persuade him to come back.