NJDuck

College Football's Seven Likeliest Coaches to Win First National Championship Next season, Ranked

For the second-straight season, college football could see another first-time national champion.

College Football Playoff expansion headlines the 2024 season and increases the likelihood of the sport producing a first-time national champion head coach. Titles put you in rare air considering Nick Saban's decision to retire and Jimbo Fisher's previous firing leaves only four active coaches with national titles entering spring — a number that could dwindle if Jim Harbaugh decides to leave for the NFL.

What does it take to be the last team standing in college football's new era? In short, talent, schedule favorability and an elite coaching staff are three facts that all recent champions have seemed to have.

Unless Kirby Smart, Dabo Swinney or Mack Brown get it done, history will be made a year from now in the title game. Three coaches who just missed making the cut here were USC's Lincoln Riley, Penn State's James Franklin and Tennessee's Josh Heupel.

247SPORTS.COM

For the second-straight season, college football could see another first-time national champion.

I like No. 3! No. 1 Ohio State and Day pay a visit to Autzen. UGA visits No. 2 Sarkville. 

UGA's trip to Austin comes on the same weekend as the Grand Prix. Hotel rooms are going for $14,000 a night! 

• Wow 1

Wow, I just can't trust a top seven list that doesn't have Kirby Smart on it

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/22/2024 at 4:11 PM, CountryProf said:

Wow, I just can't trust a top seven list that doesn't have Kirby Smart on it

Kirby 'He So' Smart has won 2 titles. This is a list of guys not yet in Kirby's league.

12 team PO in 2023 and Kirby and 12-1 UGA would have been an extremely tough out.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/22/2024 at 4:13 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Kirby 'He So' Smart has won 2 titles. This is a list of guys not yet in Kirby's league.

12 team PO in 2023 and Kirby and 12-1 UGA would have been an extremely tough out.

Ah, thanks. I should have read the fine print.

• Thanks 1

This should also almost go without saying, but if we have a first timer in 2024, ideally it will be Lanning, and all the sweeter if the title win is over Cryin Day.

• Applause 1

Lanning should have won one this year. Day should've won one last year. Don't make me laugh with Franklin though. Riley is the same. I would have Sarkasian and Norvell winning one in the next five years.

On 1/22/2024 at 10:44 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I like No. 3! No. 1 Ohio State and Day pay a visit to Autzen. UGA visits No. 2 Sarkville. 

UGA's trip to Austin comes on the same weekend as the Grand Prix. Hotel rooms are going for $14,000 a night! 

Yes and I can assure you that the SEC has taken unbelievable heat from Georgia partisans for scheduling a Texas home game the week of the Grand Prix. Dawg fans travel very well, not that there was any risk of taking over the Longhorns' place like they did at Notre Dame in 2017. But now, many fewer will go I suspect and are likely to be driving in from Waco or San Antonio where they cam possibly get rooms at a more reasonable rate.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1