criticalduck

Ducks Flying High: Updated Top 25 for 2024

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

An updated look at the top-25 rankings for 2024, where the Oregon Ducks have risen while...

I can't help but be giddy and want the 2024 season to start already! Cautiously optimistic!!

Colorado made the top 25, what a joke. I guess the media plays for clicks too.

• Thumbs Up 2

Critical Duck, thanks for posting this updated roster. 

For me 2 things standout about this list.

1. It is beyond way to early because teams still have the transfer portal to fill gaps and eliminate weaknesses.

2. While i am excited about all the preseason hype for OBD's, and it is justified, well I cant get past the 2 losses to the huskies. 12 wins in 2023 was awesome.

However, the schedule was favorable and the huskies were the only real challenge on that schedule after the TT road trip.

Both games were winnable for the Ducks. Yet we didn't win! Why?

Michigan had no trouble negating Penix and his receivers. And they ran over the huskies.

We did neither, especially in crunch time.

2024's schedule is tough and we will face 2 or 3 Top 10 teams. UM and tOSU are more of a challenge than the huskies.

My eyes tell me DL and staff are recruiting to fix and fill those defensive needs.

We will find out when tOSU squad comes to Eugene. Then those road trups to Michigan and Wisconsin will answer if its hype or ODD's are TOP 5.....

Go Ducks......

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

Great to be the only relevant team in Oregon!

As to our primary rival, I think UW was just a particularly bad matchup for us in 2023, their greatest strength against our greatest weakness, and it was just enough to squeak by us. Michigan also happened to have the best D in the country in 2023, sign stealing or otherwise.

I don’t take any greater meaning from it.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Applause 1

On 1/24/2024 at 10:02 AM, JabbaNoBargain said:

As to our primary rival, I think UW was just a particularly bad matchup for us in 2023

Yeah that may be.   But not seeing them in top 25 for 2024 seems wrong.  You mean they are not even better than Colorado?  I guess this came out before the writer heard about Will Rogers staying.  Anyway, huge grain of salt with these kinds of rankings this early.

Edited by DuckFan93
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/24/2024 at 10:29 AM, DuckFan93 said:

Yeah that may be.   But not seeing them in top 25 for 2024 seems wrong.  You mean they are not even better than Colorado?  I guess this came out before the writer heard about Will Rogers staying.  Anyway, huge grain of salt with these kinds of rankings this early.

Definitely, I think the new Big12 has 6 teams ranked on that list, major grain of salt. As to UW, impossible to say for sure, but they were gutted. I’m sure Will Rogers is a fine qb, but we saw how well CU did with a roster of all transfers last year.

I personally have UW’s ceiling at 7 wins. I’d say 6-6 is their over/under, barring a massive spring portal.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Cool 1

Thanks for the post but this guy's take has to be preseason and not his thoughts, I hope, on what a Final 12 will look like. FWIW, very little, when I dabble at this I try to project playoff teams. Take a look at all of the SEC teams Neel has in his top 10. All of his SEC-ranked teams to an extent, play one another in 2025. 2 loss teams will finish in the top 11 (12 is likely to be the G5 team) but a 3 loss team? Maybe one 3L team if that will get in. Also, the ACC champion will finish in the top 11. 

No. 24 is kind of a throwaway but CU from 5-7 to No. 24? Kentucky, No. 25? In 2024 KY plays UGA, at Ole Miss, at Florida, Auburn, at Tennessee, and at Texas. And South Carolina is not a walk-over for these Wildcats.  LSU and not Oklahoma should be in the top 11. And Tennessee IMO is more deserving of being in the top 11 than Notre Dame although ND does have a far easier schedule. 

I'm waiting until the 2nd signing day, the second portal opening, and the final portal signings before coming up with (again FWIW) my take on what the Committee will determine in December of 2024. And this will include a deep dive into 2024 schedules. 

Thanks for the take.

On 1/24/2024 at 7:02 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Both games were winnable for the Ducks. Yet we didn't win! Why?

Michigan had no trouble negating Penix and his receivers. And they ran over the huskies.

Remember when OBD hit Penix and he was grabbing his ribs in the 4th?! Penix played like a hero to win that game. His next game against ASU? No show with those ribs OBD hit.

Harbaugh saw that you only need get a couple of sacks and Penix would be out of it! Ribs, apparently,  take a little longer to "heal." OBD didn't take him down in the CG and I was SO rooting for it!!

It was their year--I can't say I have had to admit that too many times since the early 2000s...

• Thumbs Up 1