David Marsh

Inside Linebacker a Point of Focus with New Coaching Hire

WWW.ON3.COM

On Wednesday, Dan Lanning announced several updates to Oregon's coaching staff following a...

The loss of coach Meat a few weeks ago meant that Lanning could hire or promote a new coach to the staff. 

Everyone assumed that it would probably be a cornerbacks coach because that was the coach we lost in Meat. 

However, co-DC Chris Hampton was given positional coaching for the entire secondary, probably with a pay bump. 

And now Lanning has promoted an analyst in Brian Michalowski to inside Linebackers coach. 

In Lanning's scheme there are two inside linebackers. The outside linebackers are not always typical linebackers in terms of size as they are really edge players and are kind of hybrid players between a traditional linebacker and a defensive lineman with an emphasis on rushing the passer. 

It's no secret that linebacker has been one of the weaker positions on defense, though they took some major strides as year where it looked like Lanning may have started to sure up and fix Oregon's soft underbelly. 

FISHDUCK.COM

The Oregon Ducks’ defense has maintained one major problem for the last three years. Simply put, it has a...

But it's clear Lanning isn't satisfied currently with inside linebacker play and by making a full time position coach to exclusively work with inside linebackers is a significant step. He wants more out of these players so look for them to make a major leap next year. 

• Great post! 3
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

Who do you see making an impact? Jacobs seems to be the guy that a lot is expected of. There are also some speedy guys who seem to have what Coach is looking for. What does everyone see happening at this position which hasn't before, and who will make that difference? 

On 2/1/2024 at 8:58 AM, Haywarduck said:

Who do you see making an impact? Jacobs seems to be the guy that a lot is expected of. There are also some speedy guys who seem to have what Coach is looking for. What does everyone see happening at this position which hasn't before, and who will make that difference? 

I think Bassa and Jacobs will take another leap with some youngsters stepping up in some meaningful second string snaps. 

But the biggest thing is to make sure that the inside linebackers know the scheme and can react faster. Being able to read and know if they need to stop the run or fall back into coverage is key in Lanning's defense. Linebackers have to do so much that system and its no longer strictly stopping the run or rushing the passer. It's all those duties plus pass coverage. 

I think Jacobs and Bassa will both be solid. However, I do feel that Lanning might be concerned about the development of the back-up linebackers. They need to be ready to play this year in meaningful ways and be ready to be starters next year. 

David, I think this was a brilliant call on your part, and now it all makes much more sense.  Lanning was looking at the weak spots on the team, and at the coaching staff to see how to improve.  Once he saw the skills of how Hampton was coaching corners, and Brian Mich. for linebackers...that made corner coach Meat Martin expendable so Lanning could have direct coaching to the inside linebackers.  Great call.

This also may be a preference by Lanning, as he sees the inside linebackers as crucial in his blitz packages--from what I've studied, thus they have a tough set of assignments between stopping the run, defending the pass, and being skillful at blitzes. A coach dedicated to inside linebackers might be more crucial to his defensive philosophy, than a dedicated corners coach.

Under Bellotti, Helfrich and Chip....I recall how we had separate linebacker coaches, (Pellum) and how Nick Aliotti managed both the safeties and corners as "Defensive Back" coach. Effectively, Lanning is adjusting his coaching staff to his 4-2-5  MINT defense, and their respective skills.  Lanning has known Mich. for a long time, and Dan has shown an ability for finding great young coaching talent.

FISHDUCK.COM

For the first time in nearly a decade–watching the defense at Oregon is going to be highly entertaining again due to the new Mint defense and pressure packages…

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck