Jon Joseph

College Football - Not a Good Look for Herbie.

After engaging in Twitter (X) wars with FSU fans, Herbie according to QB Dylan Railoa's Dad, former All-American center at Nebraska, Dominic, encouraged him to have Dylan drop Georgia in favor of the Cornhuskers. In the grand scheme of things, 'So What?' But Dawgs fans join with Seminoles fans in not being pleased by Herbie's conduct. When is it OK for 'journalists' to cross the line?

Commenting on the FSU situation is one thing. Influencing a recruit's decision is another. Many noticed that at the start of the final PO Committee rankings show, Herbie had Michigan, UW, Texas, and Bama hats on the bookshelf behind him. Also a questionable look.

I know ESecPN is his employer but IMO, Herbie and the other ESPN talking heads have gone over the top talking about all of the great games we see on ABC and ESPN starting in 2024 with no divisions in the SEC and OK/TX coming on board. (With the Warner Bros./ESPN/Fox streaming deal things may have cooled down between the 2 premiere CFB broadcast entities.)

It will be interesting in 2024 to see how often GameDay comes to us from any other but an SEC campus. Fox's B1G Noon pregame show did close in on GameDay ratings last season due to Pat McAfee turning off a lot of fans. What impact will Saint Nick joining GameDay have?

On 2/10/2024 at 1:37 PM, Jon Joseph said:

After engaging in Twitter (X) wars with FSU fans, Herbie according to QB Dylan Railoa's Dad, former All-American center at Nebraska, Dominic, encouraged him to have Dylan drop Georgia in favor of the Cornhuskers. In the grand scheme of things, 'So What?' But Dawgs fans join with Seminoles fans in not being pleased by Herbie's conduct. When is it OK for 'journalists' to cross the line?

Commenting on the FSU situation is one thing. Influencing a recruit's decision is another. Many noticed that at the start of the final PO Committee rankings show, Herbie had Michigan, UW, Texas, and Bama hats on the bookshelf behind him. Also a questionable look.

I know ESecPN is his employer but IMO, Herbie and the other ESPN talking heads have gone over the top talking about all of the great games we see on ABC and ESPN starting in 2024 with no divisions in the SEC and OK/TX coming on board. (With the Warner Bros./ESPN/Fox streaming deal things may have cooled down between the 2 premiere CFB broadcast entities.)

It will be interesting in 2024 to see how often GameDay comes to us from any other but an SEC campus. Fox's B1G Noon pregame show did close in on GameDay ratings last season due to Pat McAfee turning off a lot of fans. What impact will Saint Nick joining GameDay have?

Myself, I’ve stopped watching any pregame shows unless we’re directly involved. It’s become 3 hours of nonsense that adds nothing to my football Saturday. They could go to Tuscaloosa every week and it wouldn’t register with me.

3 hour format has jumped the shark.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 2/10/2024 at 3:03 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Myself, I’ve stopped watching any pregame shows unless we’re directly involved. It’s become 3 hours of nonsense that adds nothing to my football Saturday. They could go to Tuscaloosa every week and it wouldn’t register with me.

3 hour format has jumped the shark.

Same here. I tune in 5-10 minutes before kick-off and that's about it.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 2/10/2024 at 3:43 PM, kirklandduck said:

Same here. I tune in 5-10 minutes before kick-off and that's about it.

I usually watch games with the sound off as well.  I love my mute button!

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn't think it was a bad look at all. 

At least from my understanding of things. 

Herbie's "influence" was good for college football, assuming Raiola is as good as predicted.

ESPN might be upset with him, "influencing" the young star from the ESPN conference straight to the competition in Nebraska and the FOX conference. 

Go Ducks!

• Haha 1

This flip was a very strange one. Among Georgia's commits, Dylan was the lead recruiter and cheerleader. He helped, I am led to believe, in flipping his 5-star safety/WR teammate K.J. Bolden from Florida State to Georgia and constantly encouraged others to come play with him in Athens. His dad was an All American lineman at Nebraska in the 90s and is uncle is the current Offensive line coach in Lincoln. This is a case, I believe, in which Dylan was pressed upon to take one for the family perhaps sweetened by NIL and the prospect of playing much earlier than he could have behind Carson Beck and Gunnar Stockton in Athens. Was he happy about it? Well despite the commitment statement , almost certainly written by his Dad or the Nebraska Sports Information Office, we get a clue from his commitment photo decked out in Husker gear in which he looks shell shocked and anything but happy.

Herbie, of course denies that he encouraged the Raiola family to induce Dylan to flip from Georgia to Nebraska and said on the Paul Finebaum program that it would have been crazy for him to do so. I don't know what went down and it really doesn't matter at this point what happened. Georgia is hardly forlorn as they also signed top-10 QB, Ryan Puglisi, in this class, a kid who is already impressing the Georgia coaches and teammates with his work ethic (they already knew he had an other-worldly arm).I just wish more helicopter parents would let kids follow their own inclinations as these are the kids' lives and their desires are important. If Dylan really decided, on a day he was to move into his dorm in Athens and begin bowl practices, that he REALLY wanted to be a Husker, more power to him, and good sportsmanship permits me to wish him well. He's a kid so I'll wish him well anyway. 

As for Herbie, he is welcome to his opinions but should never, as an allegedly neutral journalist, try to influence a kid's commitment decision, if, in fact, that is what actually happened. That is my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

Herbie has become another ESPN personality. Just like those clowns like Stephen A Smith, Kendrick Perkins, and Pat McAfee.

Sad thing is he used to be informative, a bright guy with real insight into recruiting, play calling, and insight into one of the biggest most rabid fanbases. While not being the obvious homers as Lou Holtz, Desmond Howard, or the insufferable Mark May.

Now he's a shill, imagine his response if an undefeated Ohio State got left out in favor of a one loss squad. Not only that, but he double talks about one program interfering, but forgets about others. Whatever fits his marching orders from the mouse.