Jon Joseph

College Football Playoffs - B1G and SEC Demands

I posted this article from CBS Sports Dennis Dodd elsewhere but I believe it deserves its place on OBD Forum without having to scroll.

'This' will have a B1G time effect on Oregon's football future. As well as putting the future PO format out to bid and how the revenue from the new format will flow. B1G commish Tony Petitti is reportedly in favor of a 16-team playoff field in 2026 and thereafter. Both Tony and SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey will reportedly be looking for automatic bids for the B1g and the SEC,

Puddles is playing in the B1G leagues.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Wednesday may mark the start of the Big Ten and SEC attempting to more fully exert their power over the sport

• Go Ducks! 1

I like the 16 team expansion, I don't like the automatic bids.  Leaving out the bids makes it a truer playoff.

• Thumbs Up 1

Using College Football News, a site without a dog in the media fight, preseason top 25, this is what a 16-team playoff field would look like. A G5 team could replace No. 16 USC.

1. Ohio State vs 16. USC

8. Penn State vs 9. LSU

4. OREGON vs 13. Oklahoma (The on-side kick rematch.)

5. Alabama vs 12. Tennessee

2. Georgia vs 15. Clemson

7. Michigan vs 10. Florida State

3. Texas vs 14. Utah

6. Ole Miss vs 11. Notre Dame

7. SEC teams. 5. B1G teams. 2 ACC teams. 1. B12 and 1. Independent. 

And three chilly games for warm climate teams in Columbus, Happy Valley, and Ann Arbor. 

• Thumbs Up 1

THEATHLETIC.COM

Can leaders reach consensus on the details the CFP's future that have held up forward progress so far? And if not … what exactly happens?

On 2/21/2024 at 12:11 PM, kirklandduck said:

I like the 16 team expansion, I don't like the automatic bids.  Leaving out the bids makes it a truer playoff.

The thing is to me the automatic bids really only work with a smaller field. If the playoff field was like... six or eight then winning the conference would be a HUGE deal. It is significant under the 12 team format because of the potential of getting a bye but that's about it. With a small field getting a conference championship is signficant because its a mini-bracket of its own or it should act like one.

We didn't need both Michigan and Iowa in the playoff because they already played each other and we saw the outcome of that game. By extention we had Georgia v Bama and we know the outcome of that game and don't need to re-see it. Granted, we still got some SEC only National Championship games in this 4 team playoff so it turns out that a Conference Championship game was just a hoop to jump through. 

Additionally... even getting the bye in the current 12 team playoff format is less significant because teams had to play that conference championship game. They aren't being spared a game in the grand scheme of things because the teams at the lower end of the bracket didn't play in a conference championship game or they did and lost and are being punished for it by still having to play another game. 

With a larger playoff field Conference Championship games become more and more pointless. It's time for them to go away because they don't mean anything. Or if the playoff becomes B1G v SEC then just built the bracket with a B1G and SEC bracket like the NFL does and get a champion that way. 

Right now though they are pointless and many conference champions have been left out along the way for non-conference champions in the playoff. So dump the game already. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I look back fondly on the time when we had to worry only about what happened on the field.

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

David M, spot-on comments.

Conference champ game broadcasts are built into today's media agreements. 2031 until the current B1G media deal expires. 2034 for the SEC. 2036 for the ACC. I'm not certain about the B12 deal. The champ games are lucrative.

In general, I agree with your point. However, with conference expansion, the odds are better of having teams meeting in a champ game that did not meet in the regular season. 

There is also the likelihood of 2 and possibly more teams, tying at the top with the same number of conference wins and losses, Without a champ game, for seeding purposes how does the PO Committee decide which team to seed higher than the other(s)? This matters in a 12-team PO with seeds 5-8 playing a first-round home game. Go to 16 and the top 8 seeds play at home. I very much doubt that the Committee will want the responsibility of parsing the seeding for the top teams in the B1G and the SEC in particular. Home playoff games will mean money for the home team and the merchants in a given town. 

If the playoff continues to use the NY6 bowls, hosting a PO game may be a team's one chance to play in its region and not in Dixie. I think Champ Games will be with us until the end of the existing media deals if not longer.

The committee seems to be looking at a possible 14 team format starting in 2026.  Who knows what they might end up with in 2026.

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

With the ink not yet dry on the new 12-team playoff format that will begin in 2024, the College Football Playoff management committee discussed the idea of a 14-team playoff, multiple outlets reported...

BLEACHERREPORT.COM

There hasn't been a single game played in the new 12-team College Football Playoff format, but there are reportedly already discussions of expanding the…

I sure hope B1G and SEC's guidance includes recognition that there is more value in the top two teams playing separate playoff games than having a conference championship.

It's in the SEC and B1G's interest to have the teams in their conference do the least damage to themselves prior to playoff seeding. The only thing a conference championship does for them is lower the quality of opponent for the loser of the conference championship game.

And audience fatigue has to be a thing. Who wants to see the same teams play each other 3 times, especially if one team won the first two?

• Thumbs Up 1

Solar, the top 2 ranked SEC teams, and the top 2 ranked B1G teams will play in the conference champ games beginning in 2024; no divisions in the B1G and the SEC. All 4 will be a 12-team PO lock. And would you prefer a Committee including many folks without B1G and SEC ties to make the seeding determination on which of the top 2 B1G and top 2 SEC teams deserve the higher seeds?

Conference hamp games are built into the B1G media deal through 2031 and the SEC media deal through 2034 and are likely to draw even larger viewing audiences with a 1st round bye in 2024/25 on the line and for seeding purposes in 2026 and thereafter even with a 16-team playoff field. 

Another reason to have champ games in the B1G and the SEC is the difference in SOS you will see in intra-conference scheduling in 2 mega-conferences season after season. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I want to see how the 12 team playoffs turn out before moving on. This has become more about money and power than providing the best value the sport can offer.

I believe the powers that be need to slow down and solve some of the other issues inflicting the sport at the moment.  The Recruiting cycle, and it's schedule need some fine tuning.

NIL absolutely must be addressed.  

I'm glad the playoff field has expanded, but I'm not much for giving four more teams the delight of getting anihillated.  This isn't basketball.  Football is truly a team sport, where deep talent matters. 

There aren't sixteen equally talented teams,  and NIL definitely won't change that.  All this dramatic change doesn't give me the feeling the best interests of the sport are a consideration to these decision makers.

Kind of reminds me of the PAC12 Exec Committee. 

• Thumbs Up 1