Jon Joseph

Where is CFB Headed? Follow the Power 2

I believe this article by Matt Hayes answers many excellent questions asked by Mike Whitty in today's article.  I believe this article by Hayes warrants a separate post and I encourage all OBD members to read it.

WWW.SATURDAYDOWNSOUTH.COM

College football is changing -- for the better. But there's 1 key to its new path. Plus: Ranking SEC nonconference schedules, Kalen DeBoer's key attribute and more.

• Applause 1

The insertion of collective bargaining and with it, NLRB (National Labor Relations Board) regulation is a game changer.  That means every player that goes to work for a college football program has a contract that he must comply with before he signs a letter of intent. U of O football would be a "union shop."  Every player on the team has the same contract.  Individual NIL and wages would be negotiable for each player, but the obligation to stay with the team would be a term of the team's collective agreement, if I am reading the article correctly.

Out in the business world that's called an "noncompetition clause".  There's all manner of litigation about that issue.  In my community, Eugene, a doctor with a noncompete clause can quit his job with the medical group, move more than 50 miles away for a year, and then return and work for a competitor.

So what if the player decides to leave the school anyway, and another school agrees to accept him.  Who's going to enforce that circumstance?  My limited experience with NLRB cases is that they don't move real quickly. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Follow the $.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Like it or not, the nation's most powerful conferences will have an outsized role in the ever-changing CFP

On 2/26/2024 at 1:00 PM, Grandpa Duck said:

The insertion of collective bargaining and with it, NLRB (National Labor Relations Board) regulation is a game changer.  That means every player that goes to work for a college football program has a contract that he must comply with before he signs a letter of intent. U of O football would be a "union shop."  Every player on the team has the same contract.  Individual NIL and wages would be negotiable for each player, but the obligation to stay with the team would be a term of the team's collective agreement, if I am reading the article correctly.

Out in the business world that's called an "noncompetition clause".  There's all manner of litigation about that issue.  In my community, Eugene, a doctor with a noncompete clause can quit his job with the medical group, move more than 50 miles away for a year, and then return and work for a competitor.

So what if the player decides to leave the school anyway, and another school agrees to accept him.  Who's going to enforce that circumstance?  My limited experience with NLRB cases is that they don't move real quickly. 

The big hard to answer question is who will be on the other side of the table. Will it be multiple entities (NCAA, CFP, Conferences, and Schools)or a single entity tasked with negating on behalf of them?

On 2/26/2024 at 1:00 PM, Grandpa Duck said:

The FTC is now proposing to ban non-compete clauses entirely from all workplaces.

The B1G and the SEC are flexing their muscles.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The '3-3-2-2-1' model is one of a few being mulled by conference commissioners

To wit:

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

Such a concept — guaranteed byes for the Big Ten and SEC — is an unusual but somewhat expected maneuver from college football’s goliaths.

The author answers his own question as to why the a rush to expand the playoff from 12 to 14 teams. 

There is no broadcast deal beyond 2025 in place. The B1G and the SEC are not going to sign a new media deal without knowing what the format of the PO will be and more importantly, what will be the P2's cut of the revenue. They are not going to allow Notre Dame, the ACC, B12, and the G5 any leverage regarding the revenue split after the fact. 

This is big business. This is how the big entities act and should act in a capitalist world of big business. As Mike Witty recently pointed out, collegiality was neutered once the NCAA lost its exclusive broadcast rights in 1984. 

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

Ideally, the people that run the College Football Playoff wouldn’t be discussing expanding the College Football Playoff before the College Football Playoff has even officially expanded.

Man o man am I grateful and relieved that OBD secured their future by moving and playing in one of the two "bigdog" conferences. 

Maybe, for the next few years, the BIG12 and ACC may field some competitive teams into the playoffs but the revenue disparity will eventually catch up to them and the talent shift will definitely lie with the Power2.

If Oregon can sustain it's level of coaching and competition and finish in the top three or four in the B1G, we should be able to "count on" a playoff position each and every year.

Advantage Oregon, and any other teams playing in the power 2.

Go Ducks!

• Applause 1

On 3/1/2024 at 11:25 AM, MicroBurst61 said:

Man o man am I grateful and relieved that OBD secured their future by moving and playing in one of the two "bigdog" conferences. 

Maybe, for the next few years, the BIG12 and ACC may field some competitive teams into the playoffs but the revenue disparity will eventually catch up to them and the talent shift will definitely lie with the Power2.

If Oregon can sustain it's level of coaching and competition and finish in the top three or four in the B1G, we should be able to "count on" a playoff position each and every year.

Advantage Oregon, and any other teams playing in the power 2.

Go Ducks!

I doubt the ACC stays as is through the end of the 2036 media deal. UVA, UNC, Clemson, and FSU will be attractive candidates for the Power 2. And if the ACC is no longer a P4 conference, Notre Dame is headed to a P2 conference, probably the B1G. 

I don't believe that there is a B12 program that would be immediately accretive upon joining one of the Power 2. Kansas would be a fit for the B1G but would the Jayhawks bring in enough CFB viewers? 

I doubt that CFB has finished the game of conference musical chairs and you are right, no matter what happens the Ducks are in a cat bird seat. 

B1G/SEC Playoff moves, "tough to stomach but hard to disagree with." I agree with the 2nd part of the sentence. As to the first part, follow the money.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Big Ten and SEC aim to have their brands and schedule strength do the flexing

For Oregon, this is great. Being part of the Roman Empire is better than opposing it. I don't like the minimum guarantee for the sport though. Minimum guarantee referring to the Big Ten/SEC getting a higher amount of participants guaranteed.

I'm not talking about G5 teams getting the bad end either. Until proven, they are usually a sacrificial lamb. But if the Big Twelve or whomever has a really good year, their programs should get in over the fourth or fifth best teams in the P2.

The B1G 10: Big Ten, SEC send Playoff message to everybody: Accept ... or else

Want to know why the SEC and Big Ten have done a 180 on their Playoff format preference, pushing instead for a format that gives each 3 automatic qualifiers and guarantees a top 2 seed — and a first-round bye in the tournament — in every Playoff, every year?

Because they don’t trust the Playoff committee to get it right.

“I don’t think we can ignore the elephant in the room,” a Big Ten athletic director told Saturday Tradition. “There are too many opportunities for (a Playoff vote) to go horribly wrong.”

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

The B1G and SEC want guaranteed bids and seeds in the Playoff. If they don't get it, they could form their own playoff.

How would a college football Super League look? Let’s imagine a 48-team version

Since I’m now accepting the likelihood that there will be some sort of college football Super League sooner rather than later, we may as well imagine how that might look. History tells us that this process is never clean, so this probably won’t nail the format. But I’m going to try to think like a television executive, since those probably are the people whose opinions would carry the most weight.

First, let’s assume the Big Ten and SEC continue to work together but don’t actually merge. It would be cleaner if they did, but we’re now dealing with dueling TV networks. Let’s also assume this is just for football. The other sports remain governed by the NCAA as we know it, and their championship formats remain the same even if some schools change conferences.

WWW.ON3.COM

Andy Staples imagines how a 48-team college football Super League would be organized, from the divisions to the postseason.

Pawalllll!

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Paul Finebaum went off when it comes to the outrage to a proposed CFP model that would award the SEC and Big Ten more automatic bids.

In this instance, I think Finebaum is Spot On!

CFB Insider Projects Utah To The Big Ten In Next Conference Realignment Wave

usatsi_21489039.webp

https://www.si.com/college/utah/football/cfb-insider-projects-utah-to-the-big-ten-in-next-conference-realignment-wave

Utah? With a small by B1G standards stadium, a decent sized but not large media market, and decent viewer numbers but nothing more. I don't see it.

Adding Notre Dame is a B1G no-brainer. Same for UNC, a school with quality academics (notwithstanding a decade-plus of athletes signing up for phantom classes) and the 5th largest state population. FSU is close to AAU membership, so maybe FSU. I think Fox would love to get into the Florida market.

But why go beyond 20 members? Utah would not be immediately accretive, far from it. I think Kansas would be a far better fit than Utah. An AAU member school with improving football and one of the top CBB brands in the sport. 

I love how 'these folks love to spend other people's money.

PO horse-trading over the 2026 format continues. 

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The Big Ten and SEC had asked to be guaranteed first-round byes under an expanded 14-team format

No matter the format, the playoff $ will be B1G.

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

The CFP is barreling toward a new format and revenue model that skews toward the new Power Two, creating a more formal divide in the top tier of college athletics.

Report: College Football Playoff weighing new revenue model that would favor Big Ten, SEC

The Big Ten and SEC are continuing to push to elevate themselves above the rest of the leagues in College Football Playoff format negotiations. The latest turn, according toYahoo Sports Ross Dellenger, is a push to get a bigger stake in the revenue.

The Big Ten and SEC are reportedly seeking to split 58% of the base revenue, while the Big 12 and ACC would be given 32% to

share. That leaves 10% left for Notre Dame and the rest of the conferences.

Under current CFP models, the Power 5 — soon four — conferences shares 80% of the base revenue relatively evenly. 

In the new financial distribution, Dellenger estimated that the Big Ten and SEC would make something in the ballpark of $750 million combined annually, with around $450 million for the Big 12 and ACC and around $115 million for Notre Dame and the remaining teams.

The four-team CFP paid out around $460 million, annually, in total across all the leagues. With a new, 12-team model set to pay out $1.3 billion from ESPN for the broadcast rights, leagues and teams would still likely end up making much more in revenue, even if it’s a smaller proportion.

WWW.ON3.COM

The new CFP has become a thicket of issues, fueled by the two biggest bullies on the block making demands in concert.

College Football Playoff negotiations move to more at-large teams amid outcry over Big Ten, SEC automatic byes

The Big Ten and SEC had asked to be guaranteed first-round byes under an expanded 14-team format

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Rece Davis Shakes Up College Football With Radical 16-Team Playoff Vision – Championship Landscape Set for Dramatic Expansion!

“Since we have expanded beyond the very small playoff, I would prefer just going ahead and going to 16, playing the first two rounds on campus, and eliminating conference championship games,” Davis said. “Now, along with that, each of these mega conferences — and the others too, if they wanted to — would play 10-game schedules in-conference and then not required but strongly encouraged to play another power team from the outside.

Whether that’s crossover SEC/Big Ten or ACC, Big 12, whatever. You can play two if you want to, but definitely play at least one of your non-conference games like that.”

FANRECAP.COM

The 12-team College Football Playoff will officially begin this upcoming season, and discussions on expanding beyond twelve teams have already begun. Last week, reports began to surface of a 14-team playoff starting in 2026, with...

• Applause 1

Show Puddles the Money!

12/14/16 games? It's the revenue distribution that matters. I love the Domers taking it in the shorts.

BAMAHAMMER.COM

There are many issues dividing FBS college football programs. While the differing perspectives are not unimportant, not all issues gain equal attention. For sim

A very good update from Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports not only regarding the Clemson/FSU situation but where CFB stands financially. 

It's a Power 2 world. How does $100 Million a year sound?

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The two ACC giants are exploring an exit from the league, but what could happen afterwards remains a mystery