Chuc007

Track and Field: Where Are You?

While our host and I are huge baseball fans, nothing except Duck football, excites me more than Track and Field. It is individual excellence personified.

Wow, have we had champions and championships.

Thirty two national championships and counting, dozens of Pac championships, I hope we don't have to wait too long for more. We lost a terrific coach to the fuskies and dismissed a proven winner over social issues. Since then we have fallen on almost mediocrity. This is not good treatment for a wonderful track athlete and our great benefactor, Uncle Phil. Anybody know what the issues are?

My mind and body were almost in a frenzy as I watched Dyrol Burleson et al cross the finish line in a one two three sweep in the mile at Los Angelas on the way to a swamping of perennial champions, USC. That group along with Olympic throwers and runners were on their way to the first of many NCAA championships.

I sat in the stands as I watched our javelin guys headed by Les Tipton throw that spear so it disappeared above the stadium roof only to come down in another one two three finish to the roar of the crowd clinching the national championship. Another one two three finish in the high hurdles led by the great hurdler, Jerry Tarr followed by fellow future NFL football players Mike Gaechter and Mel Renfro perhaps the greatest athlete in the history of Oregon was the pinnacle of excitement.

Who can ever forget the gutty controversial Steve Prefontaine who won again and again in every meet at Hayword and elsewhere to the roars of the crowds. Steve was from my sometimes hometown. He actually agreed to sell some of my products after he sold me radio advertising on one of his summer jobs.

Where oh where have you gone you runners and jumpers and throwers? Come back soon!

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I am with you Chuck!  

It was track and field that gave me an Oregon team that I could root for in the mid  80s. The football team was not what it is today, But track and field was competing for titles.

One of my fondest memories was being 13 years old with my dad sitting in the old grandstands yelling “Cruz” for Joaquim Cruz who brought Oregon a men’s track and field title in 1984 by doubling up and winning in the 800 and 1500 meters. Man that guy was smooth!

The Crouser brothers for the javelin and shot put, as well as comparatively little Ken Flax in the hammer throw were a joy to watch. 

The funniest part of being there for that national championship, is this little story: My dad spotted Joe Avezzano, the Oregon State football coach in the stands. I believe Joe had the worst three or four year record in college football at the time for the beavers.

My dad said that he would give me five bucks if I would go up to him and get his autograph. We hated the beavers, so it was so hard to do, but hey, I was 13 and it would take me an hour and a half to mow my neighbors lawn for five bucks.

So I got the autograph and the five bucks. I can’t remember what I spent the five bucks on but I still have the autographed program guide to this day.

• Thumbs Up 2

As much as I enjoy our football team, I have always loved the performance of Track and Field, especially the distance runners. I hope that soon we will have a track team to match the magnificent facility they now have. 

I am always aware that without track and field, the resurgence of football would not have taken place.

• Thumbs Up 1

Having, literally, a World Class Track & Field facility.  A University that has invested, heavily in its Athletic Department.  A Donor base maybe only rivaled with Big Oil money in the southwest universities.  On campus sporting resources rivaling most.

There should be No Reason that our Track & Field, in most all events and disciplines, not being a top 3 program, year in and year out, competing annually for conference and national championships.

Can't wait for the program to get there again!

TrackTown USA, Babe!  🦆🏃💯

Track is the foundation of athletic achievement at Oregon. Football is the glamour sport many think of today as Oregon sports, but Track and Field is who Oregon is in Athletics and it should stay that way.

One of my favorite states is Hawaii, and many think of surfing when they go to and visit Hawaii. Surfing isn't the sport in Hawaii, it is paddling, paddling anything, but mostly the outrigger. 

I look at Oregon Athletics the same way. Many observe our football team, now, as the flagship sport, I don't. Track and Field should always be the sport that defines Oregon and assists football to greatness. 

This is why I have harped for a longtime about getting speed back on the football team. Oregon football isn't Oregon football without speed, and track speed. 

Lanning seems to get this and speed will be the way we get to a title, IMHO!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/29/2024 at 7:49 AM, Massduck said:

One of my fondest memories was being 13 years old with my dad sitting in the old grandstands yelling “Cruz” for Joaquim Cruz who brought Oregon a men’s track and field title in 1984 by doubling up and winning in the 800 and 1500 meters. Man that guy was smooth!

The first and only athletic event I attended while a UO student was that NCAA Championship where Joaquim Cruz led the men’s team to catch and beat Arkansas for the title.  It was absolutely electric.  I became a lifelong track and field fan and Hayward Field regular after that day!

• Thumbs Up 2