Charles Fischer

Unfortunately, Oregon Mens Basketball IS No. 1 in...

From John Canzano today...

Q: The Oregon men’s basketball season has been crippled by injuries to scholarship players. How do injuries to other Pac-12 teams compare to the Ducks? — @DuckDan57

A: I reached out to Evan Miyakawa for some help on this one. He has a PhD in statistics and is a data scientist. Miyakawa tracks such things and agreed to take a look at the top 100 men’s basketball teams in the country when it comes to missed games by rotation players. His report is a doozy. The Ducks have nearly 50 combined missed games by rotation players this season. Colorado is second in the country.

Said Miyakawa: “Oregon is No. 1 in games missed and it’s not even close.”

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.ama
  • Oh no! 2
  • Yikes! 1
  • Wow 1

Mr. FishDuck

And this is why it's ridiculous to consider Altman the cause of the disappointment for this year, he's been dealt incredibly bad luck the last three years.   When I look at the teams that have missed the least amount of games....Surprise!!!! it's all the teams dominating this season.  It's almost like you need your best players in order to play well.

At no point this year has the team had their full compliment of players, I don't think there's even been a game where they've only been down 2 or 3 players, I think the opening game is the closest they've been, and guess what they killed Georgia in that game.

Edited by spartan2785
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Is it bad luck, or is there an issue with the strength and conditioning program?  One year is clearly bad luck, but consistent injuries on the roster over the past several years may justify a deeper look into the S&C program for basketball.

It would be interesting to look at the games missed since 2018 vs. other teams.  Maybe it is just perception, but I would guess Oregon would be at the top of that list most of those years. 

Edited by GeotechDuck
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Bummer for sure.

On 3/4/2024 at 2:21 PM, GeotechDuck said:

Is it bad luck, or is there an issue with the strength and conditioning program?  One year is clearly bad luck, but consistent injuries on the roster over the past several years may justify a deeper look into the S&C program for basketball.

It would be interesting to look at the games missed since 2018 vs. other teams.  Maybe it is just perception, but I would guess Oregon would be at the top of that list most of those years. 

I'm sure Oregon is at the top, Dante has been snake bit his whole career which would account for a lot of it. I personally have been feeling that the main problem has been a good assistant and strength coach as these guys spend a lot of time individually with players.

When Tony Stubblefield moved on the dynamic on the team seem to have changed. Will Richardson never seem to develop along with some of the other guys that had talent. At the same time training injuries and team chemistry has gone down.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/4/2024 at 5:05 PM, Dave23 said:

I'm sure Oregon is at the top, Dante has been snake bit his whole career which would account for a lot of it. I personally have been feeling that the main problem has been a good assistant and strength coach as these guys spend a lot of time individually with players.

When Tony Stubblefield moved on the dynamic on the team seem to have changed. Will Richardson never seem to develop along with some of the other guys that had talent. At the same time training injuries and team chemistry has gone down.

Agree.  When Tony left, things started going downhill. Wish we could get him back.  Didn’t he just get fired at DePaul?  

That looks like a coaching program outlier. Conditioning program? Control in practice? 

That's quite the disparity!! 

Stubblefield's future...

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Tony Stubblefield was Dana Altman’s right-hand man for 11 seasons at Oregon and the Ducks head coach is hoping they might reunite.

• Let’s hope! 1

There's definitely some truth that getting Stubblefield would help, good assistants always help, some of the injuries are just bad luck, I mean you can't do anything about an injury like the ones Bittle, Barthelemy, and Zarzuela had, it's just dumb luck.  Typically with strength and conditioning coaches you look into things like strains or torn muscles.

There's not a lot you can do about broken bones or really bad sprains, that's just the way the cookie crumbles.  Dante has been blessed with some great skills but also has been plagued by the age old killer of big men (bad feet), it's just one of those things I think you're born with, not much you can do about that. 

Biggest blow during the year I think was the Barthelemy injury, it really hurt to lose the only other point guard on the team, Rigsby is not a point guard and neither is Couisnard.  We lost a good shooter and much better defender when you compare Barthelemy to Shelsted, it upset the balance of the team.  I think we probably beat UCLA, WSU, and Cal with him.  

S&C is certainly something that should be looked into, but I think the team is just simply snake bit.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/5/2024 at 1:43 AM, spartan2785 said:

Biggest blow during the year I think was the Barthelemy injury, it really hurt to lose the only other point guard on the team, Rigsby is not a point guard and neither is Couisnard.  We lost a good shooter and much better defender when you compare Barthelemy to Shelsted,

Great point, Barthelemy was ok last year but this year he was one of the glue guys that held all the newcomers together. He elevated his game in the off seasons and finally looked under control. 

When Shelstad learns to play under control he will take that step up and play with better rhythm and more consistency. He'll there as the game slows down for him.