NJDuck

Chip Kelly Reveals Why He Left UCLA for Ohio State as Offensive Coordinator

New Ohio State offensive coordinator Chip Kelly opened up why he left UCLA for the Buckeyes OC job.

In an unprecedented move during the modern era of transfer portal and NIL, Kelly left his head coaching post with the Bruins to take an assistant job in the same conference: the Big Ten.

However, Kelly prioritized his happiness and love of the job as reason why he left UCLA for Ohio State.

“Sometimes I do a lot of things other people don’t do,” Kelly said. “I don’t know if that’s right or wrong, but I think it started when we were preparing for a bowl game. Ryan Gunderson is a great quarterbacks coach, left to go to Oregon State as the coordinator. So he wasn’t there. So I actually coached quarterbacks during the bowl game and I just started to think like I hadn’t actually coached a position since 2008. 

“And I think my wife, she’s like, I haven’t seen you this happy in a long time. And to me, the best part of football is football. And so you got to do football, and not do some of the things that involve being the head coach.”

Kelly simply just wanted to coach football and thought more about it as UCLA transitioned into the offseason.

WWW.ON3.COM

New Ohio State offensive coordinator Chip Kelly opened up why he left UCLA for the Buckeyes OC job. In an unprecedented move during...

Chip Kelly jokes about how he's approaching assistant role working under Ryan Day

WWW.ON3.COM

Ohio State offensive coordinator Chip Kelly is used to being a head coach. He answers how he has handled now working under Ryan Day.

I wish he stayed in LA. Lots of new and shiny toys to play with in Columbus.

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Chip Kelly found exactly what he was hoping for at Ohio State, and that should have fans excited for the 2024 season.

Love him or hate him, CK still has one helluva football mind. I for one wasn't at all pleased to see him land with his old college QB and long time New Hampshire buddy Ryan Day at OSU. The road for Oregon just got a lot tougher.

• Thumbs Up 3

Good for Chip. Seems like a very good move for him.

The LA schools are where coaches go to become irrelevant or alcoholics...

• Cool 1

I think this story is one of the top 3 most interesting developments in college football next year.  What can Chip do with superior talent and the ability to simply coach without worrying about all the things that come with being the head coach, I don't think they're going to even have him worry much about recruiting, just let him be offensive guru he was made to be.

Kelly had to know that his head coaching gig was tenuous at best. If he still has a passion for the game then this move makes perfect sense. Kelly never really liked recruiting and NIL has further changed that environment. 

I read an article about some reasons Nick Saban retired. He was quoted as follows about his end of season player interviews:

“I thought that we could have a hell of a team next year, and then 70 or 80 percent of the players you talk to want to know two things: What assurances do i have that I will play because they are thinking about transferring, and how much will you pay me?”

Saban recounted. “Our program here was always built on how much value can we create for your future and your personal development, academic success in graduating, and developing an NFL career on the field.”

His conclusion of this thought was that maybe the players attitudes don't work for him anymore. During his career he had been adding value to a players future, and the thought of being threatened of losing players if you don’t pay them enough to stay didn’t sit well with him. 

Media money, NIL, and the transfer portal have changed the game. Players can become instant free agents and go to the highest bidder if their perceived value is high enough. HC’s get paid for these headaches, but for some coaches like Saban, it ruined the game that he dominated for several years.