FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Football: Where Does Bo Nix Land in the NFL Draft?

Bo Nix is regarded today as one of the best signal callers to ever join the Oregon Ducks football program. Some even consider him the best player in team history. Now, in just over a month, Nix will be embarking on his pro career and join one of 32 teams ready to reshape their franchise with a new-look offense. So ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Bo Nix is regarded today as one of the best signal callers to ever join the Oregon Ducks football program. Some even consider him the best...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I don't know enough about the NFL to make a suggestion, but boy...we have seen that the right matchup is everything for a quarterback.  As much as I love what Bo Nix has done for Oregon...I have my doubts about him at the next level.  He does not throw a long ball as consistently accurate as we would have liked, and I believe it is a reason why Will Stein toned down his long-ball attack from UTSA to Oregon.

I also wonder if Bo has the arm for all the NFL throws, but that is for their analysts to decide upon.  Alex, I like your reasoning of going to a team with a good QB coach, but I wonder out loud if Denver isn't turning into what Detroit was to Joey Harrington?

It will be fun to watch, and we will all be cheering for Bo.

Bo Nix Poster_Fox Sports Video.jpg

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

A really nice analysis, an interesting one about him.  Maybe I'm wrong!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/12/2024 at 12:17 PM, Charles Fischer said:

A really nice analysis, an interesting one about him.  Maybe I'm wrong!

Agree, loved his analogy of Bo Nix.

• Applause 1

Thank you, Alex. 

I think that Bo at No. 12 to Denver might be a reach. The consensus top 4 are Williams, Daniels, Maye, and JJ McCarthy. Charles's two posts nail the concerns regarding Bo's play. McCarthy moved up after his Combine showing.  Bo was good, but not great at the Combine. Oregon's Pro Day will be important for Bo. 

McCarthy may be available at No. 12 but if not, I can see Denver trading down and taking a QB later in the 1st round or in the 2nd round. Penix is also in play. 

On the other hand Chris Simms and several NFL draft gurus have Bo ranked as the 3rd best QB in this draft. Going at No. 12 to Denver would mean a more lucrative rookie contract for Bo than going later in the 1st round or in the 2nd round. I hope Bo scores a big-time payday.  

Denver has a lot of needs and is $24M over the cap. I'd love to see Bo be drafted by 'my' Patriots and play under the new Pats coaching staff.

BRONCOSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Here is our list of 10 positions the Broncos should address this offseason.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bo Nix Showcases Big Arm at Pro Day as Raiders, Patriots, Jets Attend QB's Workout

Various videos showing Nix's arm strength.

BLEACHERREPORT.COM

Oregon's Bo Nix is a small fish in a large pond of quarterback prospects in the 2024 NFL draft class, but he opened some eyes during his Pro Day workout with…

• Applause 1

QB No. 6? Development candidate?

Did these folks watch the abysmal QB play in the NFL last season? Purdy who was pretty bad in the Super Bowl has it all over Nix, right? The Pats, Jets, Giants, Bears, etc. QB play was mediocre at best.

A 38-year-old Cousins coming off a torn Achilles just got, for some unknown reason, a huge payday from the Falcons. The scouts stare long enough and convince themselves that an orange is a grapefruit and vice versa. 

If Bo drops to the 2nd round it's a steal for the team that drafts him. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I know the focus on QBs throwing the deep ball is because it's the "sexy" skill to look at.  But I'd argue that the more important traits to look for if you're searching for a starting QB are maturity, high IQ, and quick decision making (all three Bo has in spades).  Bo has shown us that he can throw the long ball decently well, his arm strength isn't elite like Justin Herbert's but it's adequate.  I think I read an article somewhere recently (I can't find it at the moment) where the the NFL scout states that the vast majority of passes in the NFL are short/mid length anyway.  So having elite arm strength is certainly a plus but not a dealbreaker.  

I think if Bo continues to show he can hit those 20-40 yard range passes with deadly accuracy like he has been the last couple seasons, he'll be in a good place in the draft.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Denver, I hope. Great coach.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wherever he lands hope he has a better O line than MM had at Tenn.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, I'll pretend for a moment that I know anything about anything and I'm the guy in charge of evaluating Bo Nix for "Team X".

The stats (especially after he reaches Oregon) check all the boxes. The guy is a winner of games. He's a leader. He's had a green light to change a call which speaks volumes to his understanding of defenses and the game.

Let's go to the film:

After analyzing pretty much every play he played in college two things stand out to my "expert NFL" eyes.

1. The throw across the body right before half against the Beavers this year.  

Wow! I want this guy.

2.  4th down throws against Washington and Oregon State for the past two years.

Now I have pause. In the biggest moments he seems to be over-amped.  

The thing that all the talking heads don't say, because they need their jobs, is that it's a freaking crap shoot.  One of my comebacks to anyone who maligned the NFL career of Joey Harrington was to say, "Well, let's put him behind Tom Brady's offensive line and see what happens."

I spent the first two years of Justin Herbert's career screaming at the television, "SPEND SOME MONEY ON DEFENSE, FOR GOD'S SAKE!" They got Bosa and Mack, but no secondary help and here we are......

After the Ravens destroyed the 49'ers late in this last season I locked them into the big game.  Then a guy named Mahomes made a guy named Jackson look absolutely pedestrian.  

I guess what I'm saying is that my prognosticating powers certainly don't seem any better than the "experts".  But I'm not really sure they seem any worse.........

Because.........It's a crap shoot.  Bo Nix has certainly earned my admiration and hopes that he only rolls sevens and elevens during his NFL career.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Agree Denver would give Bo the best shot, as Payton knows how to use a qb. I mean he turned Taysom Hill into a winning qb, enough said. Ok not enough, he turned crab legs into a winning qb.

Agree with many on here you never know how the NFL QB game will turn out. The coach and surrounding cast are so important.

• Haha 1

'Crab legs.' Sweet!

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

I've got nothin' better than Charles's post. But I didn't want to leave Bo stuck on comment No. 13.

• Haha 1

Crab Legs wasn't staring down his receivers in the Rose Bowl... With his eyes, he was was trying to see anything, other than Oregon's 'D'!

Good luck to Bo. He is far from he most physically gifted QB in this deep QB draft but has a QB mind as good as anyone else's. The latter attribute is more important in the NFL than in college (see Tom Brady, not that I am predicting that level of success for Bo). Hopefully he will be drafted by a reasonably good team that doesn't need to throw him to the wolves too early.

• Thumbs Up 2