Jon Joseph

College Football's Top Ten Coaches (?)

ESPN college football reporters have selected their top 10 college coaches. Our Man Dan comes in at No.6.

Frankly, I don't think much of these rankings. Dabo Swinney at No. 4 with two playoff titles, with wins over Bama in the champ games, is behind No. 2 DeBoer? Huh? Do victories in the NAIA mean this much? 12-6 at Fresno gets you the Avis spot in these rankings? I don't get this, at all. 

Ryan Day is at No. 10 on the list? Behind Kansas coach Leipold and I don't hasten to add Dan, Day has taken Ohio State to four playoff games. Dan is getting there but has yet to get there. 

So, FWIW:

WWW.ESPN.COM

The No. 1 coach isn't hard to guess, but after that things got interesting for our voters.

I am not the only one with 'issues.'

WWW.ESPN.COM

With some unexpected results in our Top 10 Coaches poll, we asked the voters to explain their selections.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Like 1

ESPN pays Harry Lyles for this kind of tripe?

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

For most, Dabo Swinney is a top 10 head coach. For this ESPN analyst, he is not.

And Neil Everett was fired?

The silly article time of year.

My opinion about college football writers…their opinion only matters when they give your team accolades, or actually research an article, and actually write something that adds perspective into their subject matter. 

• Thumbs Up 1

DuhBore is apparently getting extra credit for getting hired by 'Bama?

On 4/6/2024 at 5:56 PM, woundedknees said:

DuhBore is apparently getting extra credit for getting hired by 'Bama?

A job Danno 'turned down?' Even with a paycheck of $10,5 M a year plus bonuses.

My top ten, no order after #1

Dan Lanning Head Coach    
Will Stein Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks    
Tosh Lupoi Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers    
Junior Adams Co-Offensive Coordinator/Wide Receivers    
Chris Hampton Co-Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Backs    
Joe Lorig Special Teams Coordinator/Nickels    
Drew Mehringer Tight Ends    
Brian Michalowski Inside Linebackers    
A'lique Terry Offensive Line    
Tony Tuioti
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

This was one of the least analytical, poorly reasoned football articles I have read in some time. Somebody (maybe as many as two people given the methodology) actually rated Deion Sanders as one to the top 10 college coaches today. I listened to the podcast of a Georgia fan, Uncle Lou. while walking today and thought he might have a stroke. Given his success year after year in the B1G, Ryan Day at 10. Given his long record of success at the top of college football,

Brian Kelly left out of the top 10? I could go on and on. Ole Uncle Lou, who, like me, loves Dan Lanning was critical of DL's #6 ranking because he hasn't won anything meaningful yet. He thinks highly rated Deboer is crusin for a brusin at Bama.  Several other well respected and very successful coaches get no respect in this trashy piece IMHO.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1