Charles Fischer

Holy Crap! Oregon Was a Top-10 Defense Last Year?

I missed this, and it is HUGE!  The Ducks moved into the Top-10 at No. 9 with only giving up 16.50 points per game?  Whew!

That was fast; Danno put us in the top ten in just his second year?  Whew!

Two elements need to be into account; first, we were gifted with an easy foe in the Fiesta Bowl.  Had Oregon been in the Playoff--we would not have looked as good in the final stats.

Second: it is one thing to do this when you are in the slogging-offense B1G, but to do that in the Pac-12?  Remarkable.

And we are nowhere NEAR where Danno will take us on defense....agree?

WWW.NCAA.COM

Discover the current NCAA FBS Football leaders in every stats category, as well as historic leaders.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

The D played well in 2023, Disappointing ending to the conference champ game but with the O struggling in the 1st Q the D was on the field facing many plays from a terrific UW O.

I think 2024 will show additional improvement. It would be nice to have one more big body on the DL. Maybe plucked from the spring portal? 

August 31st. Long time to have to wait for a B1G Christmas. 

If you take away the two Washington games the average goes down to 13.42.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

This also happened in a year the conference was as strong as it had been in some time. Year 3 is traditionally when a team is fully the new coaches team, so look out!

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 4/14/2024 at 12:13 PM, Jon Joseph said:

The D played well in 2023, Disappointing ending to the conference champ game but with the O struggling in the 1st Q the D was on the field facing many plays from a terrific UW O.

Some key injuries on defense didn't help the cause in that matchup also.

• Thumbs Up 1

I completely agree the defense is still progressing as is the program. A brand new head coach is going to take a few years to get it all together.

The future looks very bright, indeed!

Unknown.jpeg

I'm very curious just how good/bad the B1G offenses really are. Our stats could end up a better in 2024 even with no improvement on D.

If course I hope we do improve.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looking at the list, outside Oregon and Georgia, the top 10 defenses were in the upper Midwest.

Tell me that it isn't a factor to play football in bad weather and adapt your offense to that reality.

I see Wisconsin as a test of that theory as they attempt to implement an air raid style offense. Will they face plant in November, or is it just a bad assumption that you can't pass in the cold?

• Thumbs Up 1