FishDuck Article

Want to Win a Natty? You Better Be Blue Chip

Over the years, there have been massive upsets in the world of college football. Sports Illustrated ranks the three biggest college football (CFB) upsets. Mr. FishDuck took some time from his fun with NFL Betting to reminisce with me about these stunning games. Yet the bigger aspect in these games are the presence (or not) of Blue-Chip Rosters within the ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Over the years, there have been massive upsets in the world of college football. Sports Illustrated ranks the three biggest college football (CFB)...
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Excellent research to back up the Blue Chip Roster criteria for winning the national title.  Thank you Jon for writing today's article.

I enjoy your tidbits of humor interspersed throughout the writing, i.e. "...Texas A+M, (76 million reasons to LOL)..."

I look forward to reading your posts and articles.  Thank you!

Those attorneys down in South Carolina sure do know how to write.  'Twas a great article Jon, as usual.  I'll echo Smith's love on the article ... much good research, funny as he!!, and perfectly presented.  Thanks for making my morning coffee time more enjoyable.

By the way Jon, do you have a Boston accent or southern?  🤔

• Thumbs Up 1

Mudslide: South Boston. 

• Haha 1

Ducks keep on making 2024 preseason 'Good Lists.'

WWW.SATURDAYDOWNSOUTH.COM

These are the offenses that will shape the College Football Playoff in 2024.

What are the odds that Mari(o) screws up Cam Ward? I'm going with 3 to 1, at least.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/16/2024 at 8:41 AM, Jon Joseph said:

What are the odds that Mari(o) screws up Cam Ward? I'm going with 3 to 1, at least.

Miami, like so many on that list are going to pale next to the Oregon offense this year, IMHO.

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Jon...that is fantastic research, as I knew that Blue-Chips mattered, but not to that degree.  Good thing we have a HC who not only recognizes it, but can actually git-it-done!

Dan Lanning_Tom Corno.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks for all the nice comments and once again, many thanks to my superb and understanding Editor. 

A thought on the 2024 playoff run to the Natty. It will not be an easy path to negotiate. If Oregon wins the B1G and goes 13-0, the Ducks will be seeded no lower than the 2nd seed and play 16 games including the championship game in Atlanta.

If the Ducks make the B1G champ game and suffer a loss, Oregon will likely be seeded fifth or sixth and host a first-round game. The 5th seed would be preferable as this would most likely result in a home game versus the G5 representative. If college football had a 12-team playoff in 2024-25, using the playoff committee's final ranking, Oregon would have played a first-round game in Autzen versus a very physical Missouri team that defeated Ohio State in the Cotton Bowl. 

In 2024-25, the quarter-final games will be played in the Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, and Peach Bowls. 50% chance that Oregon's 2nd round game would be played in Dixie with a good chance that the opponent would be an SEC team. The semi-finals will be played in Dixie in the Cotton, and Orange Bowls. The championship game will be played in Atlanta on Monday, January 20, 2025. 

Get through this gauntlet and Oregon will play its 17th game of the season in the champ game in Atlanta. Whew! This after playing eight games in a row in the regular season without a week off and playing a B1G title game in the Eastern time zone in Indianapolis. No one said it would be easy.

In 2025, Oregon misses both Michigan and Ohio State in the regular season but plays a possible B12 champ out-of-conference in Autzen, Oklahoma State. In odd-numbered years, Oregon will play five conference games on the road. In 2025 the five road opponents in order will be Iowa, Northwestern, Penn State, Rutgers, and UW. Oregon will play USC and Wisconsin in Eugene. 

17 games, and even 16 with a first-round bye, will test roster depth, potentially exacerbated by injuries. I trust Danno and friends to keep the recruiting and portal picking peddle to the metal. 

Is it August 31st yet?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Coach DL has already shown his plan to rotate players as much as possible. 

Lots of guys have had minutes, few have been getting tons.

This helps keep bodies fresh, and perhaps last through a long season. 

Getting 4 games for freshmen will be invaluable. And being stacked at each position will keep everyone ready/desiring to play.

With all the rule changes the past few years to increase safety for the players, it's a bit mind-boggling to see it could take 17 games to produce a national champion. 

And playing top ranked teams as OOC games seems even more foolish looking at a 17 game schedule!

Coach DL certainly seems ahead of the game in player usage strategy. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 4/16/2024 at 11:22 AM, DanLduck said:

Getting 4 games for freshmen will be invaluable.

Great point, and I believe it is an understated element in why many of our redshirt freshmen are ready in their true freshman year.  They've had real game experience.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

College Football News - 3 Things Regarding Oregon's Schedule

https://collegefootballnews.com/schedules/2024-oregon-football-schedule-3-things-to-know

CFN has the Ducks going 11-1 in the regular season with the loss vs Ohio State.