Charles Fischer

The Pig-2 is Now Classified as a 'Nonautonomous FBS Conference' as of Monday

Even the NCAA does not see through the Pig-2s' attempted charade, and has now officially categorized them correctly for what they are; a Group-of-Five set of schools.    (From the Athletic, and I normally do not copy, but it was so short--and important...)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

What it means for Pac-12 to be classified as ‘nonautonomous FBS conference’ by Chris Vannini

The Pac-12 Conference, which will drop down to two members this summer, will no longer be an “autonomous conference,” the NCAA Division I Board of Directors determined on Monday, effective Aug. 2. It will instead be classified as a “nonautonomous FBS conference” like the Group of 5.

The board created new governance thresholds for conferences that fall below membership requirements. As a result, the Pac-12 will lose representation on the Board of Directors. It will retain representation and voting rights on the Division I Council, the Football Oversight Committee and the Division I Student-Athlete Advisory Committee when applicable, but the weight of its Council vote will be diminished.

Multi-sport conferences are required to have at least eight members, but in the event they drop below that number, they are allowed a two-year grace period to get back up. The Pac-12 will lose 10 schools to the Big Ten, Big 12 and ACC this summer, leaving only Oregon State and Washington State. The board’s determinations on Monday apply to conferences in that grace period.

In 2014, the board created a new “autonomy” model, granting the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC the ability to make some of their own rules together, which happened the next year with full cost-of-attendance scholarships. The autonomy group became colloquially known as the “Power 5″ and regularly held its own meetings, but didn’t do much else legislatively with that autonomy power. The other five FBS conferences became known as the Group of 5, with most of those schools eventually adding cost of attendance as well.

Pac-2.jpg

The two-member Pac-12 will now be a part of that lower group, although it will not hold official conference games for the next two years. Instead, Oregon State and Washington State have agreed to play most of their sports in the Mountain West (including football for 2024) and West Coast Conference (including basketball for the next two years), but football will not be eligible for Mountain West championships or standings. Oregon State baseball will play an independent schedule.

After that, the future is uncertain. The Pac-12 and Mountain West signed an agreement in the fall to work in good faith to merge by the 2025-26 or 2026-27 seasons, with no cost if the Pac-12 absorbs every MWC school, or a cost of upwards of $137.5 million if it takes some but not all MWC schools. But Oregon State and Washington State are focused first on joining an autonomous conference, and the uncertainty surrounding the future of college sports could spark another upheaval.

The College Football Playoff in November also determined that conferences must have at least eight members in order to be eligible for an automatic qualifying spot in the 12-team field.

Although Oregon State and Washington State have pledged to continue to spend and compete at a Power 5 level, Monday’s news of losing autonomy status was ultimately not a surprise.

• Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

So, this article states what we know about OSU/WSU's intentions, as they want chaos in CFB so that they can join a Power-4 conference later. 

My question..."if that happens in two years...are you giving the stolen money back?"

giphy.gif

• Let’s hope! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Why August 2?  Because that is the day following the departure of the ten programs that are escaping to the Big12, BigTen and ACC.

Which obviously means the last day those ten are conference members is August 1.   When they announced their future departure date, they indicated they would become members of new conferences on August 2.

It is not an earlier date as determined in Whitman County Judge Libey's decision.

I still do not understand how Libey could reach his opinion, or why the ten didn't appeal.

• Applause 2

Seems clear if they were ever legitimately wanting to rebuild the conference they should have done everything in their power to add members immediately. But no, that would have involved using their “league funds” to ya know…keep the league running. 

After 100 years of riding coat tails, it’s more clear than ever this was all a money grubbing scam to squeeze without contributing one last time.

So again, enjoy your bean-counter victory, you’re still a group of 5.

• Thumbs Up 2

So this means OSU and WSU are now eligible for that guaranteed best of Group of 5 (now 6) spot in the playoffs.

• Haha 1

On 4/23/2024 at 12:23 PM, Solar said:

So this means OSU and WSU are now eligible for that guaranteed best of Group of 5 (now 6) spot in the playoffs.

There is one critical nuance that seems to be getting overlooked.

The College Football Playoff (CFP) Board of Managers today unanimously revised the qualifying criteria for the 12-team event to now include the five highest-ranked conference champions, plus the next seven highest-ranked teams as determined by the CFP Selection Committee.

They are only eligible for the at large portion as they are not part of a recognized conference. They get in line with the 4th place teams from the SEC etc.

They probably need to beat us to have a prayer of getting in.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

If the Playoff Committee looks at a Mt. West Champion which was 7-1 in conference in regular season vs a WSU that was 6-0 vs some of those same teams in a truncated schedule the committee might be more inclined to pick the 7-1?

On 4/23/2024 at 12:57 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Seems clear if they were ever legitimately wanting to rebuild the conference they should have done everything in their power to add members immediately. But no, that would have involved using their “league funds” to ya know…keep the league running. 

After 100 years of riding coat tails, it’s more clear than ever this was all a money grubbing scam to squeeze without contributing one last time.

So again, enjoy your bean-counter victory, you’re still a group of 5.

Instead, they are paying millions (of 'Our Money') to the MW for game inventory and have agreed to pay the MW $10M for every team they poach from the MW. 

“You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people (except for Pac-10 presidents) all of the time.”

Abraham Lincoln

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

On 4/23/2024 at 3:29 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

There is one critical nuance that seems to be getting overlooked.

They are only eligible for the at large portion as they are not part of a recognized conference. They get in line with the 4th place teams from the SEC etc.

They probably need to beat us to have a prayer of getting in.

EXACTLY!  The Beavers play Purdue, Oregon (SIGH), and Cal from the Power 4. All other games are against G5 opponents and the Pac-2 cannot play for a MW conference title. The Beavers could go 11-1, OSU will not defeat Oregon, run the MW table, and will not be valued above a 9-3 B1G or SEC team. 

Unless John Canzano is on the committee, OSU and WSU have ZERO chances of making the playoff. They chose this path to steal money from morons for the next two years.

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 4/23/2024 at 1:13 PM, Jon Joseph said:

EXACTLY!  The Beavers play Purdue, Oregon (SIGH), and Cal from the Power 4. All other games are against G5 opponents and the Pac-2 cannot play for a MW conference title. The Beavers could go 11-1, OSU will not defeat Oregon, run the MW table, and will not be valued above a 9-3 B1G or SEC team. 

Unless John Canzano is on the committee, OSU and WSU have ZERO chances of making the playoff. They chose this path to steal money from morons for the next two years.

Not to mention, barring beating us, at 11-1 they will likely not be valued over the second team from the ACC and B12.

Pretty basic math, a conservative 12-team field estimate by conference:

1. B1G - 3
  2. SEC - 3
  3. B12 - 2
  4. ACC - 2
  5. ND - 1
  6. G5 - 1

Total 12

That's 12 right there. They need a landmark win to get in.

This is all a fun exercise in theory, and I've probably thought about it too much since I personally put their over/under win total at 7.5

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

I wonder how Beavis fans feel after getting absolute confirmation

that they are a G-5 team, and a stolen 300 million doesn't change it?

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

Once real football games are being played again, nobody will care what the PAC/2 does. Right now, they occasionally do things that create fodder for a bit of speculation and conversation. Reality is, both OSU and WSU have Couged it. 

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Even if there is more upheaval in conference alignments, what makes anyone think there would be interest in either Pig-2 team?!

They have already been rejected by the other P4 conferences. 

Their only hope is to combine with MWC and hope that 2 National championships will arise, one for D1 P4 schools and one for all the others.

With students being deemed employees just around the corner, and profit sharing of some sort most likely, they won't want that headache. So being a champ in a D1a league is their best hope.

Then we could get 2 Natty's in our state, the real one, us, and a B level league for the river rats.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/23/2024 at 12:23 PM, Solar said:

But they will just make the mountain west super chaotic. No team is getting through the MW unscathed with the addition of OSU and WSU. 

Which will block them all from the playoff as no G6 team will make the playoff with any losses, as one team somewhere will go undefeated. 

What Butch and Beavis don't seem to appreciate is that the national perception of the former PAC is not very good. These two more often than not, were at the butt(head) end of the PAC, but for some reason they really think this association still impresses anyone outside the pacific time zone…it does not and never did.

Their clever “strategy” to wait things out the next two year is only going to introduce more competition if the ACC and B12 need to add teams. The more removed they become from actually playing in the P12, the more attractive other teams will start to become.

If I’m the B12/ACC, and want to add a couple west coast teams, am I really not going for Fresno and SDSU? WTH do a couple of teams in Pullman and Corvallis bring to the table? They used to fail regularly in a P5 conference, therefore we must have them?

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

On 4/23/2024 at 4:30 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Not to mention, barring beating us, at 11-1 they will likely not be valued over the second team from the ACC and B12.

Pretty basic math, a conservative 12-team field estimate by conference:

1. B1G - 3
  2. SEC - 3
  3. B12 - 2
  4. ACC - 2
  5. ND - 1
  6. G5 - 1

Total 12

That's 12 right there. They need a landmark win to get in.

This is all a fun exercise in theory, and I've probably thought about it too much since I personally put their over/under win total at 7.5

The ACC and the B12 will get their champion in and the champion will have a bye. But I don't think these 2 are certain of placing two teams in the field.

The B12 does not have a team with a Blue Chip Roster and appears to have parity through the top half dozen or so. The ACC? NC State plays Tennessee in Week 2 which should be a good indication of the ACC's depth. FSU and Louisville play Notre Dame in South Bend. Clemson opens against UGA in Atlanta and will be on the road against FSU. Miami opens at Florida and I think the Gators will win this game. 

I think the SEC in particular and perhaps the B1G have a shot to place 4 teams in the field; especially the SEC playing 8 conference games this season and next. With its schedule, Missouri will likely finish 10-2 if not better. UGA, Bama, Ole Miss, Texas, Tennessee, and LSU all have a shot of being in the playoff hunt. In the B1G, Ohio State, Oregon, and Penn State have a good chance of being in the Delightful Dozen with Michigan, USC, and Iowa TBD.

I do not believe the committee will in any respect try to 'balance the field' among the Power 4. If the SEC and/or the B1G see any kind of manipulation to limit the number of Power 2 teams there will not be a committee come 2026. 

On 4/23/2024 at 3:27 PM, Jon Joseph said:

The ACC and the B12 will get their champion in and the champion will have a bye. But I don't think these 2 are certain of placing two teams in the field.

The B12 does not have a team with a Blue Chip Roster and appears to have parity through the top half dozen or so. The ACC? NC State plays Tennessee in Week 2 which should be a good indication of the ACC's depth. FSU and Louisville play Notre Dame in South Bend. Clemson opens against UGA in Atlanta and will be on the road against FSU. Miami opens at Florida and I think the Gators will win this game. 

I think the SEC in particular and perhaps the B1G have a shot to place 4 teams in the field; especially the SEC playing 8 conference games this season and next. With its schedule, Missouri will likely finish 10-2 if not better. UGA, Bama, Ole Miss, Texas, Tennessee, and LSU all have a shot of being in the playoff hunt. In the B1G, Ohio State, Oregon, and Penn State have a good chance of being in the Delightful Dozen with Michigan, USC, and Iowa TBD.

I do not believe the committee will in any respect try to 'balance the field' among the Power 4. If the SEC and/or the B1G see any kind of manipulation to limit the number of Power 2 teams there will not be a committee come 2026. 

I agree no guarantees for the B12/ACC outside the champ, but I do think a second place team with 10 wins from those two would get the nod over Beavis. I think it’s also equally likely you slot in a 4th team from the SEC/B1G over a second from the B12/ACC

My point really is that unless Beavis goes at least 11-1, they aren’t getting a whiff as an at large.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

Even the biggest suck-up to Beavis, John Canzano admitted....

---------------------------------------------------------------

Football is going to drive the narrative this fall, however. It’s why the on-field performance of Bray’s team is vital. The Beavers have almost no margin. They can not fade on the field. It’s why the actual play, not the window dressing was more interesting to me on Saturday.

How did OSU look?  (In their Spring Game)

Smallish.

Slowish.

The quarterbacks aren’t ready. The offensive line wasn’t great. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

That does not sound like an 11-1 season upcoming....

giphy.gif

• Mic drop 1

Mr. FishDuck

From what I've seen, their D will be about 5 steps back from last year and was only "eye-opening" because the offense is about 20 steps back.

Perspective Beavis.