Charles Fischer

I NEVER Thought I Would Ever See This at Oregon...

This is how you become elite, and have a shot at a 'Natty!

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

“Let the games begin’ 

• Applause 1

OBD, Yes, it's nice when SEC sportswriters write laudatory projections (as compared to mediocre or bottom of the barrel) about the Ducks' defensive line/Edge. Still, I suggest we don't become too comfortable until we see the starters (1st echelon) on the D-line and LBs set up and consistently stop/stuff the opposing offenses, and watch as the 2d and 3d echelons move in and stop our opponents.

In the Spring game, several of our freshmen (who aren't really freshmen anymore) played well (A'Mauri Washington, Porter, Green, and my favorite, My'Keil Gardner. Tuioti was a force at times, and Puchase and Matayo were in there working. Mr. Fishduck reminded us of the new Ducks in the middle such as Tionne Gray and our final year stalwart, Keyon Ware-Hudson (who has stuck it out in the middle for a long time).These Ducks are warriors, and I won't take anything away from them before the fight. But, I counsel let's see what the initial battles and results look like leading up to our game against the Buckeyes. Then, we can really enjoy the Duck performances.

Following the Buckeyes game we will know our real team status, regardless of sportswriters and fans. I think we have some real Duck stalwarts composing our defense, and the rest of the team is good, too. But, let's see. I remember that Georgia beatdown (49-3), and I read about Georgia tearing an undefeated FSU apart down in Miami when so many of the FSU players declared and stepped away from their team and teammates. After FSU's 63-3 loss, I realized 49-3 wasn't nearly as bad.

Speaking of Mr. Fishducks' mention of the defenses' soft underbelly, watch for Tyliek Williams in the Buckeyes' soft underbelly. He will be a tough nut in their middle.

Last year, we saw our Duck defense finish 39th overall. Would really enjoy seeing them finish in the 20s this year. This year, we have the LBs, Corners, and Safeties, too. They are young, but athletic. This may be the most athletic defense the Ducks have ever had.

Best regards and VR,

KCDuck1

Edited by KCDuck1
Forgot to include a sentence.
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/15/2024 at 5:46 PM, KCDuck1 said:

Last year, we saw our Duck defense finish 39th overall.

Perhaps that is total yards of defense, but the most important stat is scoring.  Oregon was in the Top-10 (9th) with only giving up 16.5 points per gameIncredible, and if we could duplicate or improve upon this with our schedule--I would be delighted.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/15/2024 at 6:32 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Perhaps that is total yards of defense, but the most important stat is scoring.  Oregon was in the Top-10 (9th) with only giving up 16.5 points per gameIncredible, and if we could duplicate or improve upon this with our schedule--I would be delighted.

Of course we'll improve on that. Our team is better and B1Gs offenses suck.

I get sick of seeing that every B1G defenses is like top 20. Maybe they are just slightly above average, and their offenses suck on average. I mean look at what numbers the only two offenses that were actually good M and OSU put up against all of those "really good" defenses.

We aren't going to face a single QB in the B1G  that would even have been in the top half of the PAC12 last year. Think about that.

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

The Lanning effect as opposed to thinking you win championships by running up the middle every other play.

Edited by Augduck
grammatical error

B1G QBs on the schedule with decent experience and success. 

Will Howard - Ohio State - 2nd team All B12 in 2023. Howard led K State to a B12 championship in 2022. 

Tyler VanDyke - Wisconsin - ACC Frosh of the Year and a baller before Mari(o) showed up. 

Aiden Chlies - Michigan State - Chiles has the potential to be one of the better QBs in the B1G. 

The Purdue, Illinois, and Maryland QBs all have starting experience.

The Michigan QB will be a good athlete. Orji is a run threat. Can he move the ball through the air?

I agree D stats can be overblown in a conference without NFL draft picks at QB. However, the Ohio State D was legit last season and will be better in 2024. And the Michigan D in 2023-24 proved its merit vs Bama and UW.

New Big teams: Garber at UCLA is good, and had a terrific bowl game vs Boise State; UW's Rogers when he played for The Pirate at Mississippi State was excellent. 

Certainly not a B1G murderer row of QBs but a representative P4 group. 

• Applause 1

On 5/17/2024 at 10:35 AM, Jon Joseph said:

B1G QBs on the schedule with decent experience and success. 

Will Howard - Ohio State - 2nd team All B12 in 2023. Howard led K State to a B12 championship in 2022. 

Tyler VanDyke - Wisconsin - ACC Frosh of the Year and a baller before Mari(o) showed up. 

Aiden Chlies - Michigan State - Chiles has the potential to be one of the better QBs in the B1G. 

The Purdue, Illinois, and Maryland QBs all have starting experience.

The Michigan QB will be a good athlete. Orji is a run threat. Can he move the ball through the air?

I agree D stats can be overblown in a conference without NFL draft picks at QB. However, the Ohio State D was legit last season and will be better in 2024. And the Michigan D in 2023-24 proved its merit vs Bama and UW.

New Big teams: Garber at UCLA is good, and had a terrific bowl game vs Boise State; UW's Rogers when he played for The Pirate at Mississippi State was excellent. 

Certainly not a B1G murderer row of QBs but a representative P4 group. 

OSU and M had great defenses, yet I think they would have given up an average of 3,-5 points per game more if they played in the PAC12. Iowa's incredible defense made a living off picking off the ball from mediocre QBs that can't read a zone, which applies to basically all of the QBs you mention above.

Given the improved talent, our secondary is going to see a significant improvement in statistical performance this year.

• Thanks 1