NJDuck

The Best Recruits Oregon has Ever Landed by Position

Here's a recap of Oregon's "best ever" recruits list by position group since the recruiting boom in 2002.

247SPORTS.COM

Here's a recap of Oregon's "best ever" recruits list by position group since the recruiting boom in 2002.

• Thanks 1

Looking at that linebacker list is pretty sad ... A good few at the top end of that list were complete flops. 

Quarterback was pretty depressing too with how many flops. 

Wow, thanks for this. Definitely reinforces my taking a macro view with recruiting.

Performance in high school is no guarantee of performance at the next level. Ditto superior performance in college leading to success in the NFL.

One reason why CFB coaches today have to recruit both high schools and the portal with success. 

Dan and his friends check both boxes. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't know why I didn't think Flowers was a very big deal when he signed. He's a full step above any Safety we've ever recruited.

And so far he's been playing above that ranking.

Arik Armstead was an "Athlete"? What was his other position, TE? Who knew.

On 5/15/2024 at 11:26 AM, Solar said:

I don't know why I didn't think Flowers was a very big deal when he signed. He's a full step above any Safety we've ever recruited.

And so far he's been playing above that ranking.

Arik Armstead was an "Athlete"? What was his other position, TE? Who knew.

Armstead was recruited as an offensive lineman by some. Part of Oregon's pull for him was we wanted him on defense. 

Or at least were open to him on defense. 

On 5/15/2024 at 11:50 AM, David Marsh said:

Armstead was recruited as an offensive lineman by some. Part of Oregon's pull for him was we wanted him on defense. 

Or at least were open to him on defense. 

We also let him sit on the bench for the basketball team. We offered the same to JTT, but tosu got him to just play football.

The problem with recruiting is the camps. When athletes pay to go to camps, like kickers, and then get evaluated, there is a built in bias to make them out to be more than they are. 

I also think some qb camps are farces too. Just watching a qb throw without game conditions give a coach nothing other than a toy doll type understanding of an athlete. A qb and all football players need to be evaluated with in game performance, then watched on the sideline, at home and at school.

In the end it is the programs who do the homework on athletes, and don't just buy the analysts projected superstars which are going to really excel at recruiting.

Great topic, and fascinating to see the lists, and busts, amazing!

• Thumbs Up 1