Charles Fischer

Could This Be a Helicopter Parent Problem?

I have thought about this before...how a notable alum and player could be a problem for our coaches. Akili was a QB coach for hire, and I believe counseled prior players at Oregon.  He is a great fan, and has a very talented son who will sign as a QB this December for Oregon.  In fact "Jr." was up here this weekend to help recruit the big group of recruits to OBD, so I love how he is helping the staff.

But could a consultant who-has-a-Duck-in-the-fight be an issue later?  Playing time?  NIL? The complexities of being a college coach these days---whew!

Mr. FishDuck

But I will always remember Akili for this...(the winning points)

And this!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Mr. FishDuck

I try not to look for stuff to worry about. I doubt that Sr. will be a problem, and I trust Dan Lanning to handle the problem in an appropriate manor if it should arise in the future.

• Thumbs Up 3

I brought it up, because I have heard of quite a few problem parents for coaches in the past.

Something plausible to ponder in the long off-season…

• Cool 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/19/2024 at 7:51 AM, Charles Fischer said:

But I will always remember Akili for this...(the winning points)

And this!

I will always remember Smith for one other reason... My son was  part of what was then known as, TEAMWORK", a work/study group of Oregon  students who assisted the football coaches and team with various jobs around the AD (my boy was under the supervision of coach Zoumboukos). He was allowed to bring me to Oregon home games as a guest. We usually entered through the tunnel after the team on game day.

The first time I  became aware of the strength of Akili sr's arm was one such occasion. As we reached the mouth of the tunnel,  qbs were warming up, from about the 20 yard line. AS threw a pass that the intended receiver failed to catch. It went through the end zone and nailed me about 2" above my sternum. Despite the fact I was wearing multiple layers, I found out after the game I now had about a 3" diameter bruise on my chest.

Never forgot that experience.

• Oh no! 1
  • Whew! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Wow 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Helicopter parents aren't as bad as the Lawnmower parents.

Hanging around questioning everything is bad, making sure junior never trips up, fails is criminal to a young persons development. Let them fail, figure out how to struggle on their own, within their peer group!

1504092369-lawnmower_parent_WEB.jpg

Kids need support, but t h ey also need to learn self control, self discipline, and how to fight through adversity on their own, among other things.

I think Deion is a bit of a helicopter parent.

• Haha 2