Charles Fischer

Beavers to Play at 9:00 AM PST This Fall, Ducks Next?

12451079.png

• Oh no! 1
  • Yikes! 1
  • Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/31/2024 at 7:40 AM, Charles Fischer said:

12451079.png

Day after Thanksgiving matchup with a couple of mid-majors doesn’t necessarily apply to us. Never say never though. 😆 

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

Interestingly enough I watched part of an interview with the head of Fox's sports broadcasting and how they went about game selection. 

The way game selection works is basically just a draft. Fox gets the best picks and the most.picks because they have the biggest stake in the B1G. So they get the first 3 picks.

Fox wants their big game of the day to be noon for their big noon kickoff. 

The first pick is always Ohio State v Michigan because it has the highest viewership. 

I forgot the second pick they discussed. 

Then they were stuck with a problem for the 3rd pick. They wanted Oregon v Ohio State but they believed they couldn't broadcast it for their noon slot (eastern time) because that's a 9am kickoff in Autzen which they felt was a no go. 

So they opted to trade their pick to NBC who will play that game in their prime time slot which is much later in the day for the west coast. 

I don't think we'll see too many 9am kick offs for the Ducks if any at Autzen. Now if we are playing at Penn State or Ohio State... Maybe. 

We did play Ohio State in 2021 in the big noon slot so that was a 9am slot for the west coast. 

But Oregon State is being thrown into a garbage time slot because of their situation. Oregon State v BSU is not a prime time game. And the only network that has a 9am (PST) slot is Fox and that game won't be on Fox. 

• Applause 1

On 5/31/2024 at 12:06 PM, David Marsh said:

Oregon State is being thrown into a garbage time slot because of their situation. Oregon State v BSU is not a prime time game.

Yep.  It is always fun to give Beavis a kick...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/31/2024 at 10:50 AM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Day after Thanksgiving matchup with a couple of mid-majors doesn’t necessarily apply to us. Never say never though. 😆 

I hope we can beat this mid-major BSU team finally.  How many times have we lost to them in the past 20 years?   

image.thumb.png.077cb495f9e73b53023896762c6a71cd.png

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/31/2024 at 1:24 PM, DuckFan93 said:

I hope we can beat this mid-major BSU team finally.  How many times have we lost to them in the past 20 years?   

image.thumb.png.077cb495f9e73b53023896762c6a71cd.png

Definitely a good point. Need to beat them into the ground.

That being said, the first two games are from a different era (end of coach B, year one of Chip)...and I take any result from a lower tier bowl with a huge grain of salt.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

Yeah, I definitely think we'll be seeing some 9:00 games in the future, but I doubt any of them will be at home.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the Michigan or Wiscy games at that time.  It's just the nature of the beast being in the B10, in the end I think the biggest change will be a 9:00 or two on the road as opposed to 7:30 games on the road. 

I anticipate our home games to be about the same in regards to game times, maybe one more later kickoff than normal.  I also think these things will begin to even out with more time in the league and if Oregon does as well as we think they will do.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, I should clarify.  I do not mind 9:30 AM games PST if it is because it is a huge featured away B1G game at 12:30 EST on Fox.  Just not a home game...

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Cool story about CK first game as head coach (Boise state) and after the game cutting a check to a complainer. Priceless. Wonder if they ever cashed the check.

On 5/31/2024 at 1:43 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Chip)...and I take any result from a lower tier bowl with a huge grain of salt.

That was 2017... The year of Taggart and he left like 2 weeks before this bowl. 

Cristobal and Co were scrambling to retain what they could of the recruiting class as the early signing day was the same week as the bowl game. 

The Ducks were grossly under prepared for that one. Also quite a few players sat out of the game, I know Royce Freeman was one of them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

"Oregon State v BSU is not a prime time game. And the only network that has a 9am (PST) slot is Fox and that game won't be on Fox. "

Appears it will be at 9:00 am, Fox, Friday after Thanksgiving.

Looks like the pecking order for that day: 

9:00 am, CBS, Minnesota vs Wisconsin - most played rivalry in Div I

9:00 am, ABC, Colorado vs Oklahoma St

9:00 am, Fox, Boise St vs Oregon St

12:30, ABC, Miss State vs Ole Miss

4:30 pm, NBC, Iowa vs Nebraska which for years had been 9:00 am PT day after

4:30 pm, ABC, Georgia vs Georgia Tech

5:00 pm, Fox, Utah vs UCF

• Thanks 1