Charles Fischer

Oregon Beats UC Santa Barbara 2-1!

See updates at the bottom of this thread...

--------------------------------------------------------------

Santa Barbara beat Fresno State last night 9-6, and thus will face Oregon tonight at 7:00 PM on ESPN+.  I have subscribed, and will be giving minor updates through the game, but it is hard to get it done while game action is going on, as the breaks between innings are not long enough for me to write.

Earlier in the season, UCSB split with UCLA, and swept three games from UConn, who is in the tournament as a No. 3 seed, (32-23) and won in their first round game. Below is more information from 247Sports, but the bottom line is that they are a very good team--just as Oregon is!

UCSB are 43-12 with a 26-4 Big-West conference record, and are winners of their last 15 straight. They've been in the top 25 in all major polls for a majority of the season, and are more than deserving of the No. 14 overall seed and a regional host. 

The Gauchos are built similarly to the Toreros, with an offense that does plenty of damage, but the rotation and bullpen can carry the team no matter what. Coached by former Oregon assistant Andrew Checketts, the Gauchos' pitching staff is menacing. 

Here's their likely three-game rotation for the Santa Barbara Regional: 

RHP Ryan Gallagher - 9-1, 83.0 IP, 2.27 ERA, .82 WHIP, 93 K, 22 BB
RHP Tyler Bremner - 11-0, 82.0 IP, 2.68 ERA, .84 WHIP, 96 K
LHP Mike Gutierrez - 9-0, 84.2 IP, 3.19 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, 82 K

Not bad. Oh, and they feature top 100 MLB Draft prospect Matt Ager out of the bullpen. 

The Ducks and Gauchos met earlier this season, with UCSB taking the first two games of a three-game series. In a windy and rainy PK Park, the Gauchos offense wasn't the star of the show for obvious reasons but the staff was. Ager dominated in his start but the Ducks likely won't have to worry about that this time around. 

Offensively, UCSB is a solid squad, headlined by Aaron Parker and Jessada Brown. Zander Darby is No. 132 in the MLB.com top 150 draft prospects but has had a bit of a down year by his standards. Parker is leading the team with a .374 batting average with an OPS above 1.000, coupled with 11 home runs and 50 RBIs. Brown features a .351 batting average with a .972 OPS with eight home runs and 38 RBIs. 

Ivan Brethowr leads the team with 14 home runs, as the 6-foot-6 outfielder is slugging nearly .600. 

We need Bryce Boettcher to keep it going!

Bryce Boettcher homer.jpg

• Let’s hope! 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

0-0 after one inning.  Beautiful evening there, and very crisp definition on streaming.  Oregon uniforms look especially sharp!

Mr. FishDuck

0-0 after two innings, with not even a base runner in the second inning by either team.

Mr. FishDuck

0-0 after three innings!

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

0-0 after five innings!

Mr. FishDuck

0-0 after six innings, and Grinsell has pitched 110 pitches thus far!

Mr. FishDuck

Grinsell gutted out the seventh inning with 114 pitches, and with the Ducks at the plate....Justin Cassella got a hit!  Then stole second!  Then Carter Garate got ANOTHER big hit to score Cassella.  1-0 with an out to go...

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

1-0 Ducks!  The end of seven innings.

Mr. FishDuck

2-0 Ducks at the end of eight!

Chase Meggers hit into the left field corner for a double, Jack Brooks comes in to pinch run, and takes third on a wild pitch.

Drew Smith hits a chopper up the middle and over the pitcher, and gets thrown out at first, but Brooks from third scores!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Sir, Mr. Fishduck,

Any information on who won the earlier game between FSU and USD? I am not getting ahead of myself, but am curious who UCSB plays in the early game on Sunday (or, who the Ducks play).

Thanks, and appreciate the updates. It's two hours later here in KC, so it's nice not to have some pesky characters bothering me about the TV. They don't hunt or fish, either; but, they do like the Chiefs (one of two saving graces).

VR,

KCDuck1

I’m in the middle of the game. I provided a link in another thread, and you can always do a Google search for NCAA baseball tournament!

Mr. FishDuck

Oregon wins 2-1 with Ryan Featherston holding off UCSB with bases loaded!  Whew!

Such a great performance by Grayson Grinsell to go seven innings and holding the Gauchos scoreless, and the Ducks got some timely hits.

We play tomorrow at 6:00 PM versus the winner of the San Diego-Santa Barbara winner, and their game is at noon. 

What a game!

Oregon only used two pitchers in each of their games, so we have more to turn to on Sunday.  If we win tomorrow night's game--we win the Regional.  If we lose, (double-elimination) then we play on Monday for the Regional Championship and the right to advance to the Super-Regional.

giphy.gif

Both teams we played are GOOD TEAMS, and we were fortunate to win. 

But Our Beloved Ducks are a good team too!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks for the updates, I was working tonight and the quick glance at Fishduck was all I could manage. At least I cought the last to innings on streaming Radio. 

Please look at the Twitter videos of plays I filled in with above, and the link for the tournament, brackets and scores are right here for reference.

Molly McPherson.jpg

One more win from a Super-Regional!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 2

Mr. FishDuck

GODUCKS.COM

Oregon beat host UCSB on Saturday, 2-1, to advance to the regional final Sunday evening.

image.png

Out at Home!  A run saved!

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Gotta love the grit this team is displaying. Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1

Santa Barbara was 25-0 at home!

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

1. If you hate stats ignore this post
  3. Confession; after the double in the 9th I went to bed, I could not handle the stress (I had worked all day and was tired but....).  Because baseball is a game of stats I had to do some research.  Oregon ranks 133 in the country in walks per 9 innings, 4.59. 
  5. You add hit batters to that ( I do not think they are included with walks) it bumps it to over 6 free passes per game!  This is not a good number BUT they are 29th in the country in WHIP at 1.4.  (sorry if WHIP is obvious but just in case, WHIP basically measures how many baserunners per inning pitchers/team allows)
  7. So they give up a lot a free passes but do not allow a lot of hits.  Generally walks kill teams but it doesn't seem the case with Oregon, 9.4 K's per game helps.
  9. Last stat I promise-I looked at all of the Pac-12 games and saw that in Oregon's Wins they averaged 5.63 free passes per game and in their loses they averaged 6.46.  Less then 1 baserunner difference which really is not a lot. 
  11. What this tells me is they are elite competitors, when things start going bad they toughen up and pull through. 

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 3

Fantastic stuff, and thank you for that! Do jump in with the stats anytime!

A massive difference for Oregon that is obvious, but cannot be overstated, is how well the starting pictures have done in this regional. They have been beyond lights out, and when you’re facing elite pitchers on the other team, it is the only way to stay in the game.

Now, can Kevin Seitter continue that? Will he get bombed as he has before, or will he give us a lights out game like against Oregon State? The Regional will depend upon it tonight…

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Never a doubt!

WWW.SI.COM

Oregon baseball is one win away from a super regional. The Ducks upended UC Santa Barbara 2-1. UO stays unblemished heading into Sunday's regional final.

Thank you, Charles, for the great coverage of the Diamond Ducks.

UCSB beat USD 4-2 in the elimination round and the Gauchos will meet the Ducks at 6pm in the championship game. Oregon gets two shots to win one and move on to a super regional. 

Sir Charles FD noted that Seitter will be on the hill as the starter. The pen is full of healthy arms. Just keep the free passes down and let the boys in the box limber up the timber.

Go Ducks!