Charles Fischer

Whoops! Mike White's Texas Softball Team Loses to Oklahoma on THIS Play?

I will try to keep from snorting....

Wowsa.  Never saw that before!

• Wow 1

Mr. FishDuck

Is the time coming to consider moving the Softball World Series out of the Sooner’s backyard and into a neighborhood that’s a tad more neutral?

Nice coaching job, eh?

• Haha 1

I am thrilled White's Texas team lost the NCAA championship to Oklahoma.  I will always root against him.  However, his Texas team was ranked #1 most of the season, and this was his second trip to the championship series since he left Oregon.  We have made it to the super regional only once since he left.  Any one of his five pitchers would be the ace of our staff. 

I like Missy Lombardi and I love the scrappy way her teams play.  She seems to do an excellent job of helping her players grow on and especially off the field.  She appears to really care about her players and they seem to greatly appreciate her.

However there is no denying White's Texas teams have been more successful on the field than Lombardi's Duck teams.  I still wonder what happened back in the summer and fall of 2018 that caused almost all our roster to transfer out.  Who would you prefer to have coaching our Ducks?  (Not that what we prefer matters, but this is the place to discuss hypotheticals..)  I lean heavily toward Lombardi.  But I wish we were the ones going to Oklahoma City every year...

Edited by Cacker Guy

On 6/7/2024 at 4:06 PM, Cacker Guy said:

I am thrilled White's Texas team lost the NCAA championship to Oklahoma.  I will always root against him.  However, his Texas team was ranked #1 most of the season, and this was his second trip to the championship series since he left Oregon.  We have made it to the super regional only once since he left.  Any one of his five pitchers would be the ace of our staff. 

I like Missy Lombardi and I love the scrappy way her teams play.  She seems to do an excellent job of helping her players grow on and especially off the field.  She appears to really care about her players and they seem to greatly appreciate her.

However there is no denying White's Texas teams have been more successful on the field than Lombardi's Duck teams.  I still wonder what happened back in the summer and fall of 2018 that caused almost all our roster to transfer out.  Who would you prefer to have coaching our Ducks?  (Not that what we prefer matters, but this is the place to discuss hypotheticals..)  I lean heavily toward Lombardi.  But I wish we were the ones going to Oklahoma City every year...

“I will always root against him.”

Why? Because he left?

Had Oregon stepped up and paid him, he would be coaching the Ducks today……and contending for the post season every year.

On 6/7/2024 at 7:53 PM, DUCKED said:

Had Oregon stepped up and paid him, he would be coaching the Ducks today……and contending for the post season every year.

Rob Mullens explained that White's salary at Oregon was the highest in the nation for a coach that had not won a 'Natty.

Mr. FishDuck

I can’t fault White for leaving. At $625,000 per year his salary ranks 2nd in the nation, behind Oklahoma’s Patty Gasso, who just led the Sooners to their 4th straight national title.

On 6/8/2024 at 8:48 AM, DUCKED said:

I can’t fault White for leaving. At $625,000 per year his salary ranks 2nd in the nation, behind Oklahoma’s Patty Gasso, who just led the Sooners to their 4th straight national title.

Oops!

Didn’t mean to hit send just yet on the above post.

It’s sad to see the program descend into mediocrity, while playing in half filled Jane Sanders Stadium, one of the best ballparks in the country.

I don’t think that would have happened had the Ducks extended White.

On 6/8/2024 at 9:01 AM, DUCKED said:

Didn’t mean to hit send just yet on the above post.

As I tell everyone....you have up to an hour after publishing a post to edit it.  Just click on the three dots in the upper right corner.  Easy-Peasy!

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/7/2024 at 7:53 PM, DUCKED said:

Why? Because he left?

Yeah, I guess so.  It seems petty and childish doesn't it?  Thanks for correcting me.  I'll try to change my attitude toward him.  There is a heck of a lot I don't know about the whole situation...

Posted (edited)

I can understand being upset over our history with Mike White and the lingering frustration with how he left. I just don’t get the hate. He didn’t pull a fast one; no slick Willie, or moral Mario move. He was up front with what he felt he was worth, and why he wanted it. Mullens had his chance to pony up, and decided not to. End of story.

Personally, I felt Mullens should have simply owned his decision by saying his budget for a non-revenue program can’t justify the bump in salary, rather than tossing it back at White with the excuse that he’d not won the ultimate prize - yet. If you don’t want to take a risk on potential, just say so. 

I still wish the guy well.

Edited by Washington Waddler
grammar
  • Thumbs Up 3

There was more to his departure than just money.  Lots of behind the scenes stuff.  I’ll respectfully leave it at that since its water under the bridge now.

On 6/8/2024 at 9:26 AM, Charles Fischer said:

As I tell everyone....you have up to an hour after publishing a post to edit it.  Just click on the three dots in the upper right corner.  Easy-Peasy!

Thanks Charles…..