FishDuck Article

Oregon’s Will Stein Offense: Power Runs Deep

It was a delightful surprise in 2022, when OC Kenny Dillingham unveiled an old “I” formation with a tight end operating as a fullback. Oregon would use the additional blocker to the tight end side on the line-of-scrimmage to power many plays into key first downs or touchdowns. We have begun to see the tweaks that new OC Will Stein ...

FISHDUCK.COM

It was a delightful surprise in 2022, when OC Kenny Dillingham unveiled an old “I” formation with a tight end operating as a fullback. Oregon...

• Thanks 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks Mr. FishDuck!   I simply love all the video analysis you provide.  This is a great series.

You are correct that Coach Stein will have constraint plays off of this.  Just think of a running QB on a keeper to the backside of this play.  

In my old Wing T days we would call a Waggle (pass play off a power run) and our QB would run for long yards.  I am loving this Will Stein offense!

• Thumbs Up 1

A constraint or sequential play off the original power formation of an "I" formation with a tight end as a fullback, was implemented for a touchdown against Stanford last fall.  Terrance Ferguson made a great catch, and hung onto it as he fell...

Terrance Ferguson TD_Eric Evans of Oregon Football X Account.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Thank you, Sir Charles. 

I learn so much from these articles; however, I hope there will not be a quiz. What was the 2nd thing?

• Haha 1

Wow.  I'm surprised this article didn't get much attention.  

The year we lost to Stanford in Eugene, David Shaw used this concept.  The reason he did so was because two very productive NFL players- Deforest Buckner and Arik Armstead- were too powerful to block one on one.  So Shaw overwhelmed that power with numbers.

DC Nick Allioti eventually switched up against that formation in the second half and shut down the Cardinal offense- too little too late, because Shaw also has a chef surprise for Chip's offense - and Chip fell for the bait. 

Michigan and Ohio State did the same thing to each other last year, and Michigan uses this formation regularly.  

Stein is a student of the game.  That is why I hope he stays in Eugene until OBD win a  Natty.

The other surprising aspect of defending this formation is no DC wants to counter it by stacking the line of scrimmage.  I personally would force the OC to pass the ball by putting seven or eight on the LOS with strict rules for pass coverage.

But that's me.  I'm just a hack.  

What I did like with the picture of the formation on the two yard line was Lupoi at least had four down lineman, and two defenders on each edge.  It's the first time I've seen him do that.  Again, I'm putting seven on the LOS, with at least five in a two point stance.  But again that's just me.

I'm sure more people will pay attention to these concepts when the season starts.  

I'm excited because I'm seeing  Lanning's staff has already discussed getting more prepared for the physical nature of the Big Ten, and it's clear they have already been preparing for it.

By the way, the elite SEC coaches are already doing this.  James Franklin and Penn State don't play Michigan this year, but if he had stacked the LOS against the Wolverines the past two years, they would have had a much better chance of defeating Michigan (my opinion of course).

So fun to get into the weeds Mr. FishDuck!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

Thank you Charles for another insightful analysis of OBD! Can hardly wait to watch some steamrolling in a couple of months!

When does fall camp officially start?