NJDuck

Kelly Graves Excited for Opportunity to 'Reset' the Program with New-Look Roster

This year's Oregon women's team will feature nine new players, including a program-record seven incoming transfers. Head coach Kelly Graves thinks the chance to start over is a good one.

247SPORTS.COM

This year's Oregon women's team will feature nine new players, including a program-record seven incoming transfers. Head coach Kelly Graves thinks the chance to start over is a good one.

• Let’s hope! 1

I’ll believe it when I see it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hoping for the best, but I concur.

If this was a discussion of the USC football team and their transfer portal losses, their decommits, or their underperformance, or loss of key assistants, what would we be saying?

The parallels in Oregon women basketball right now is not good.

• Thumbs Up 2

Kelly Graves credits conversations with Dan Lanning and Dana Altman for shifting portal perspective

Oregon women's basketball coach Kelly Graves says he spoke to both Dana Altman and Dan Lanning about the transfer portal this offseason, and those conversations helped shape a more aggressive approach.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon women's basketball coach Kelly Graves says he spoke to both Dana Altman and Dan Lanning about the transfer portal this offseason, and those conversations helped shape a more...

Recruiting chemistry is always going to be a wait and see mystery; about as predictable as quantum mechanics. Kelly caught lightening in a bottle once. There’s a reason that turn of phrase also means one-hit wonder.

WRT the Ducks Women's BB Head Coach,

Regardless what he says, it all starts at the top. That is where the rotten plums are located. The leadership, approach, the communication, the teaching, the BB dynamics, the mental and physical discipline, and the teamwork: it all starts with him. It was created and he let it pour through his hands. Very few coaches ever get a do-over. We'll see.

VR,

KCDuck1

• Great post! 1

Graves had to be convinced to use the portal by DL. wha??

The portal is so obvious. 

Graves needs to go.

• Haha 1

The ability to recognize errors or faults within anyone's endeavours or vocations is a necessary trait for achieving ones full potential.

Graves obviously has had some success as a coach, but what had worked for him in the past is not working now with what the woman's game is today.

My hope is a resurgence in both his recruiting/retention of top players along with a change on how he coaches, in game.

If Graves can make the changes necessary for his continued success in the future, then Oregon women's basketball shall compete.

If he can't, or if any changes are ineffective, then a change of scenery, for both Graves and the program, will be in order.

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/21/2024 at 9:11 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

Graves had to be convinced to use the portal by DL. wha??

The portal is so obvious. 

Graves needs to go.

Someone should tell Dabo Sweeney that it's that easy. 

I think the portal is a little harder than how it's usually precieved as a shopping trip. It's still recruiting and finding the right fit. The biggest difference is that you have film that shows you what you're getting at this level of play. 

Regardless... I think it's a do or die season for Kelly. He either gets the women's program back on track or is done. 

What does back on track mean? I think they just need to make the dance. We'd like more than that but the women's basketball program has been such a disaster in past years that making the tournament would be a major achievement this year. 

Deja Kelly will be counted on as Oregon's 'alpha' in 2024-25, Kelly Graves says

North Carolina transfer Deja Kelly is expected to be the "alpha" of this year's Duck basketball team, head coach Kelly Graves said in an Autzen Audibles podcast interview this week.

247SPORTS.COM

North Carolina transfer Deja Kelly is expected to be the "alpha" of this year's Duck basketball team, head coach Kelly Graves said...