Smith72

Mariota Reflects On NFL Career

Oregon Duck favorite Heisman winner is approaching his 10th year in the NFL.

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

When you're approaching year 10 of an NFL career, you're allowed to do some reflection. Marcus Mariota recently spoke with reporters in...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2

Like all of us here at OBD, I hope Marcus gets a real chance to shine in Washington. 

He deserves the opportunity to prove he is no "0", and be excellent again.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Unfortunately, it appears that MM was one of those players who was wonderful in college but, for whatever reason, was not able to translate that success in the NFL. There is no shame in that. He has lasted longer than most players at the highest level. MM should have many opportunities to choose from when he decides to hang up the cleats and I’m sure that he will be successful in anything he does.  

He will always be one of my favorite Ducks of all time and I was so proud when he won and accepted the Heisman trophy.  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I've always appreciated the class and poise that Marcus has conducted himself with.  He has certainly had more than his fair share of adversity in the NFL, but his attitude has always been one that uplifts those around him.

Marcus is a fantastic representative of his home (Hawaii), UO, and by extension us, being fans of the Ducks.

I wish Marcus a wonderful year of pro football, and with any luck at all, several more.

Go Ducks!!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mariota is such a good example of the disconnect between college football, NFL scouts and coaches.

What made Mariota special at the college level was the spread offense and how he worked in space. 

What he basically got at Tennessee was a series of coaches who wanted him to fit a pro style offense that didn't use his skill set. 

And then their offensive line was so bad that he was sacked do much that his confidence took a massive hit. 

The NFL just assumes at times that college will make plug and play players for their industry. These are the worst coaches and programs. 

The best evaluate the talent and adapts the scheme and coaching to maximize the talent. 

I wish Mariota the best. At least he is still getting paid better than the majority of us. 

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1