Steven A

Does My Heart Good, Verdict Against NFL is 4.7 Billion, Tripled to 14.1 for Anit-Trust

Posted (edited)
WWW.ESPN.COM

A jury ruled Thursday that the NFL violated antitrust laws in distributing out-of-market Sunday afternoon games on a premium subscription service and has awarded nearly $4.7 billion in...

I guess this was the reason the Pac-12 Network stayed independent to avoid this type of thing.

Opps, I also forgot that Comcast didn't buy Uncle Larry's math.

Edited by Smith72
Trillion changed to billion in title

Steven A.

$4.7 Billion, and not $4.7 Trillion. Still, that will motivate them to be more than careful this next time. Naaah, they'll just charge more and be more careful about it. The management (and many players) are very arrogant.

Thanks and VR,

KCDuck1

Money better spent supporting CFB athletes. Sorry, what am I thinking? This is the NFL.

Can someone explain the antitrust piece to me?

selling its package of Sunday games at an inflated price.”

Seems like it’s a price people are willing to pay, no? 2.4 million subscribers willingly paid for it.

Were they forced to buy the product?

It all seems a bit curious.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for 2.4 million people who consented to pay for—without coercion—such a luxury, non-essential product.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

"It was a great day for consumers"

Hilarious.  The consumers are the ones that will end up paying for every dollar of that eventually.

All concession items and team gear just went up $5.00.

Unlike the Pac-10 prez, the NFL owners will not roll over. This judgment will be appealed and ultimately settled for less dough. 

I do not want families to have to pay even more to attend NFL games in person. I do not want more NFL teams that will only dilute the product. 

For this matter not to be settled, a bunch of $1000 plus an hour attorneys did not do a very good job at the downside risk analysis, I wonder if any personal liability attaches to the owners? I would think the NFL and all professional sports conferences are set up as limited liability companies with only the assets on hand available to meet liabilities. 

It's always fun to see billionaires take it in the shorts but a judgment of this size if sustained on appeal will have a ripple effect that will touch every NFL fan. (OK, maybe not Taylor Swift?)

It's the NFL and not the P-12 so, Not So Fast!

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

A jury Thursday found the NFL liable in an antitrust trial, ordering the league to pay $4.7B in damages related to the price-fixing of its Sunday Ticket package. The trickle-down effect could have...

The trial judge didn't think much of the case. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.