NJDuck

QUAAACK! Oregon Lands Commitment From 4-Star DL Josiah Sharma

Sharma stands at 6-foot-5, 295 pounds, and will be a bruiser on the interior defensive line for the Ducks next season, going along with the trend of big-bodied players in the trenches.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Ducks land commitment from 4-star defensive lineman Josiah Sharma as part of a double-commitment day in Eugene.

DL Josiah Sharma talks about his commitment to Oregon

247SPORTS.COM

Folsom (Calif.) defensive lineman Josiah Sharma is heading to Oregon....

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

When another D-Tackle we were pursuing, (Trajen Odom) verballed to Ohio State, then Oregon put the finishing blast on for Sharma.  Yet this guy is a Rivals 4-Star, and he was offered by Michigan, Alabama, Georgia, USC, Washington and in particular--everyone thought he was a lock to TexasBig recruiting win! 

N.RIVALS.COM

Josiah Sharma - 2025 4 Star Defensive tackle for Folsom (Folsom, CA) on Rivals.com

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Lights out!

That list yet rated a 3 star by many…watch his stars magically go up in the near future.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

247SPORTS.COM

After pulling in verbal commitments from running back Jordon Davison and defensive lineman Josiah Sharma, Oregon's 2025 class is now 13th in the 2025 class rankings.

Danno is getting it done!

This one was a surprise. 

Ir sounded like Oregon was really on the outside of this until commitment. 

To me, it sounds like the potential ceiling of Sharma is higher than that of Odom.  Sharma is bigger, younger, etc. Of course, that doesn't guarantee anything, but it is always nice to have the potential of striking gold with a high upside guy.  Odom may arguably have a higher floor, but he always seemed like a JAG to me.

ElPatoUO,

You wrote, "...he always seemed like a JAG to me." 

I only speak two languages, and one of those two is not college-level football recruiting. May I please inquire what JAG is? I am absolutely sure it is not 'Judge Advocate General'.

I was disappointed when Odom selected tOSU, and I suspect his decision was heavily influenced by his family, much like Elijah Rushings' initial decision to commit to Arizona. The Ducks kept those communications channel open (they get to know the family as well as the player), and eventually, Elijah changed his commitment. I have no doubt that unless the various players we might have missed on shut us down, our coaches will continue to talk with the players and their families until they request otherwise and/or sign a NLI. Remember Dante Moore (QB). Eventually, he returned to the Ducks when the Ducks kept the Comms channels open and focused on relationships.

BTW, believe Rushings' older brother joined the team last Spring. Looking forward to an even better year by the D/O/& ST. 

Thanks and VR,

KCDuck1

On 6/28/2024 at 6:57 PM, KCDuck1 said:

ElPatoUO,

“Just a guy”.  I think. 

Btw…what do you feed a 16 year old 295lbs guy. 

• Haha 1

On 6/28/2024 at 7:49 PM, Drake said:

“Just a guy”.  I think. 

Btw…what do you feed a 16 year old 295lbs guy. 

Anything he wants

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

Drake,

Thanks!  Trajen may just be "Just a Guy"; we'll see. He could become more if he is willing to work his buns off.

I agree with your inference about Josiah Sharma - Josiah is so young to be as big and quick as he is. Josiah is only 6'3.5" tall; he may

grow another inch or so in heighth. Once Josiah gets onto a rigorous weight training program and sprints/stairs and all the other agility

drills D-linemen have opportunities to perform, he may actually become quicker with his first step, hands, and his execution of moves.

If Josiah signs his NLI with Oregon, he has an opportunity to become exceptionally good if he continues his pace of development. I don't think he'll be JAG.

I was surprised the Ducks picked up the RB's commitment (from Mater Dei in Santa Ana, CA.)  Five weeks ago, our Ducks were outside looking in. Coach Samples has been very handy in recruiting our RBs this year. We may not pick up Dakorian (Moore, I believe) and Duncanville's QB, just as we missed on Simmons (Edge, UT) last year, but D'ville will have some more good players coming down the road. Perhaps the HC of D'ville will steer us toward them. Coach Samples has been gold. What a hire, so far.

Thanks again for explaining JAG, and I remain VR,

KCDuck1

WWW.SI.COM

A big day on the recruiting front for Dan Lanning and company as Oregon Football grabs a pair of commitments, including 4-star defensive lineman Josiah Sharma.

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/28/2024 at 10:31 PM, KCDuck1 said:

I agree with your inference about Josiah Sharma - Josiah is so young to be as big and quick as he is. Josiah is only 6'3.5" tall; he may

grow another inch or so in heighth.

Sharma is listed at 6'5" on 247 and 6'6" on Rivals. In January of 2023, he participated at a camp in Las Vegas and measured in at 6'4.5", 292 pounds with a 79” wingspan. I have no idea how much he has actually grown (if at all) since then, but that should probably be considered his baseline.

As for my comment about Odom being a JAG, that is just my opinion looking at it through the lens of Oregon's current level of recruiting. I view Odom as being mid to below on the spectrum of Oregon defensive line recruiting.  To wit, the Ducks have signed numerous defensive linemen in the past couple of classes that I would consider to be superior, or equal, prospects. Of course, this is an inexact science for even the top experts (which does not include me), so only time will tell what type of college career he has.

ElPatoUO,

Thanks for your note. I'll take your camp-measured data any day before data from some sports journalist who may not even know how to effectively use a measuring tape. They don't care about Josiah, the Ducks, or anyone but their own position - well, they might care about their family - might.

Not sure why DL likes Odom, what they see in him; he may be like someone they invest in and who develops and exceeds expectations, or, it's JAG. Perhaps we'll see down the road. If he is going to become more than JAG, let's hope he is a Duck. If he is like our former player that transferred to a state school in Michigan, then please stay with tOSU.

The D-Lineman I have not heard a great deal about lately is a player from Mater Dei in Santa Ana; he is good enough to excel at D-or O Lineman. He is a Poly, about 6'3", and he is quick and aggressive. He has won best lineman in camps on both sides of the ball. This guy isn't huge but is strong and twitchy, and he is a difference-maker. We have been on him, but so is SC. He would be a phenomenal addition for either team, or other teams in the East.

Thanks for the correction and VR,

KCDuck1

On 6/29/2024 at 9:26 PM, KCDuck1 said:

The D-Lineman I have not heard a great deal about lately is a player from Mater Dei in Santa Ana; he is good enough to excel at D-or O Lineman. He is a Poly, about 6'3", and he is quick and aggressive. He has won best lineman in camps on both sides of the ball. This guy isn't huge but is strong and twitchy, and he is a difference-maker. We have been on him, but so is SC. He would be a phenomenal addition for either team, or other teams in the East.

Sounds interesting. Do you know his name? I see that Arizona landed a 6'3" Poly kid from Mater Dei the other day (Sione Tohi), but I don't know if that is who you were referring to.