Charles Fischer

Yikes! Looking at the Success of Rivals 5-Stars at Oregon...

OK...this surprised me. I was thinking about the verbal of Jordon Davison, and how Oregon has not had a 5-Star running back in ages and I got to thinking about success of 5-Stars at Oregon. As you know, it is harder to get a good ranking on Rivals, so let's look at the Rivals 5-Stars who have verbaled or signed with Oregon in the past ten recruiting classes.

2025: Jordan Davison

2024: None

2023: Matayo Uiagalelei

2022: Josh Conerly Jr.

2021: Kingsley Suamataia, Ty Thompson

2020: Justin Flowe, Noah Sewell

2019: Kayvon Thibodeaux

2018: None

2017: None

2016: None

I am surprised, as usually the higher the star ranking, the greater the probability of success on the football field.  Goes to show there are a ton of intangibles that make-or-break a player beyond just his athletic talent!

Jordan Davison

Jordon Davison 2025 Running Back Oregon

BTW...Royce Freeman was not a Rivals 5-Star!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Well, that is a much higher hit rate than for just an average recruit.  Thibs got drafted in the 1st round, Sewell got drafted in the 5th round, Conerly looks on pace to be drafted in the first couple of rounds.  Obviously, too soon to judge Uiagalelei or Davison.

Edited by ElPatoUO

On 6/29/2024 at 4:42 PM, Charles Fischer said:

2021: Kingsley Suamataia, Ty Thompson

Thompson was a flop. 

Suamantaia could have developed into something special at Oregon but opted to transfer and was basically in the portal once he didn't get a starting spot. 

On 6/29/2024 at 6:29 PM, David Marsh said:

Thompson was a flop. 

Suamantaia could have developed into something special at Oregon but opted to transfer and was basically in the portal once he didn't get a starting spot. 

Mario did him dirty with terrible QB development. It felt like he was finally making progress under Dillingham and a bit under Stein. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a solid season at Tulane.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2024 at 6:58 PM, kirklandduck said:

Mario did him dirty with terrible QB development. It felt like he was finally making progress under Dillingham and a bit under Stein. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a solid season at Tulane.

I don't think he would have made it at Oregon. He just lacked the intangible of confidence and leaderships. He never really seemed in control of the offense. 

You look at how Nix, Adams, Herbert, Mariota or any of thr Oregon greats run the offense they always looked in control. 

Thompson only started to look comfortable out on the field a couple times last season... The big one being against PSU but that isn't a ringing endorsement. 

The Cristobal offense didn't do him any favors but Moorehead has a decent track record as a QB coach and I feel Thompson just lacked the "it" factor. 

I wish him the best but I don't think he was beating out Novosad or Moore... Let alone Gabriel. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I saw more leadership from Moga in the Spring game than I ever saw at anytime from TT. Some guys have IT and some just don’t.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 6/29/2024 at 6:58 PM, kirklandduck said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a solid season at Tulane.

Interestingly enough, word around Tulane was that Ty probably left spring practice for their open QB spot in the #2 slot behind Tulane's 2023 back-up Kai Horton (slightly ahead of the young QB in the program Darian Mensah).

Now, it sounded like the QB competition will continue into fall camp, with Ty not being way behind (more that if Tulane had to name a starter for game one out of spring camp, it would probably be Horton).

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Thanks 1

On 6/30/2024 at 12:42 AM, AnotherOD said:

Interestingly enough, word around Tulane was that Ty probably left spring practice for their open QB spot in the #2 slot behind Tulane's 2023 back-up Kai Horton (slightly ahead of the young QB in the program Darian Mensah).

Now, it sounded like the QB competition will continue into fall camp, with Ty not being way behind (more that if Tulane had to name a starter for game one out of spring camp, it would probably be Horton).

That's also not surprising since he's the new guy and probably learning a whole new playbook from scratch.  We'll know more once they make it through Fall training camp.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would guess there will be more than a few of us Duck fans who will keep an eye out on how Ty does at Tulane, probably for a number of different reasons, but one at least being what this next chapter contributes to the long Ty Thompson debate.

Both TT and Horton are three years into their career, Horton with 124 career passing attempts (52%, 6 TDs, 5 Ints, 118.4 rating) and TT 66 career passing attempts (64%, 6 TDs, 4 Ints, 140 rating). So, neither very much on the field play to this point.

I don't know a thing about Tulane football other than reading a few bits here and there, it just seems like there has to be a lot of momentum towards Ty getting the spot. According to 247, Tulane's only gotten 3 four star recruits in program history.

This fall they are bringing in 3 offensive former 4 star transfers (247 rankings) which would probably seem like a big step to fans: Thompson (#81 nationally #9 QB - from Oregon), Shazz Preston (#120 nationally #20 WR - from Alabama), and Mario Williams (#122 nationally #15 WR - from Oklahoma/USC).

Former near 5 star transfers QB throwing to former Alabama and Oklahoma receiver (that sort of thing). This spring Tulane went offense versus defense and I guess the highlights were last year's #2 QB (Horton) throwing a 79 yard and 50 yard pair of TDs to a third WR transfer Dontae Flemming (Louisiana).

Interesting but from the local paper (WGNO):

"Head coach Jon Sumrall said Horton got better this spring, taking care of the football. "He (Horton) really got better in last week and a half, about really the five practices, of playing within the structure of the offense and playing within the confines of the system,” said Tulane head football coach Jon Sumrall.

Sumrall said his advice to Oregon transfer Ty Thompson was to just relax and play, and Thompson, both throwing and running had his moments in the spring game.

So did redshirt freshman, Darian Mensah from California.  "Mensah is going to be a dude, he’s got a lot to learn,” said Sumrall ...

There will not be a started named anytime real soon,” Said Sumrall. Sumrall said previously that Tulane’s ongoing quarterback competition is a three-man race. One that will be decided in the fall."

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Thumbs Up 1