Charles Fischer

Dan Lanning About Unlimited NIL at Oregon: 'Not a Reality'

"There's not a top 10 program in the nation that is not funded and in a good position to compete or they wouldn't be a top 10 program," he said. "That being said, there are a lot of other factors that add up to that success.

"I really don't care what people think. I just want to win. I know the reality of what our situation is here."

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon coach Dan Lanning disputes that Phil Knight has ever said 'unlimited NIL' is available to Duck recruiting.

Duck-Buddies...I think this is GOOD to come up and deal with it.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

Lanning responded to a question about operating with an unlimited NIL budget.

"What player WOULD we miss on if we had that? This is not realistic."

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks, Charles. Dan is spot on. 

A+M came up with $70M+ to get rid of Jimbo. A+M lost some guys to the portal but signed quality players out of the portal. The top programs all have war chests and have well-helled boosters.

This is not the days of Bear Bryant with uncapped rosters. No one is going to sign them all and 3*s and lower will be coached up, improve, and play in the NFL.

The REAL problem DeShaun? Dan Lanning is....

giphy.gif

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

I saw the Lanning interview with McAfee today in which Dan Lanning jabbed back playfully at Kirby Smart's nice comments about meeting Phil Knight and wishing he had some of the NIL war chest available to Lanning. It is abundantly clear that Smart and Lanning really like each other. In fact Lanning said Kirby was an awesome mentor from whom he learned more than he had from any other football coach.

Had Smart been there he might have quipped back with something like "Yeah, I might have taught him enough that it will probably come back to bite me in the butt some day."

They are both great guys IMHO, awesome football coaches, and excellent guides for serious minded young men. The profession is lucky to have them.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/26/2024 at 12:12 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

I saw the Lanning interview with McAfee today in which Dan Lanning jabbed back playfully at Kirby Smart's nice comments about meeting Phil Knight and wishing he had some of the NIL war chest available to Lanning. It is abundantly clear that Smart and Lanning really like each other.

I saw the interview as well. Lanning clearly is very thankful for all the coaches he has worked under. 

Below is the quote, per CBS Sports:

"I think it's impressive that guys like Kirby have been signing the No. 1 class in the nation without any NIL money this entire time," Lanning said jokingly. "Obviously, Coach Smart took a little shot at us. If you want to be a top 10 team in college football, you better have great support. We have that."

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Lanning coached for Smart for four years at Georgia and considers him a mentor

Edited by OregonDucks