FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Football: The Weakest Position Group

Our Oregon Ducks football program has seemingly become a recruiting powerhouse overnight. The team was already great, but now they’re a top choice to win the whole thing. Kirk Herbstreit was so bullish on the Ducks this past week, he said, “I may have Oregon winning it all.” At this point, there’s a ton of validity to how highly he ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Our Oregon Ducks football program has seemingly become a recruiting powerhouse overnight. The team was already great, but now...
  • Thanks 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Don't forget about Kenyon Sadiq!  He should have at least 2 more years with the Ducks.  He has great speed!

But I agree with Alex, Tight End will be a position of need.  Trust in Lanning and staff to fill it with great players.

Thanks for the article Alex.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the article. I agree with Smith72.

Kenyon Sadiq is one of Oregon's best up and coming tight end in this year group.  He will be the anchor like Ferguson for future players joining the team.

Terrance Ferguson offered rave reviews on sophomore tight end Kenyon Sadiq during Big Ten Media Days.

I do agree with Terrance that the tight end group does not get enough love.  This is what Terrance said about Kenyon:

The senior tight end offered rave reviews of sophomore Kenyon Sadiq.  Per Ferguson, Sadiq is the best athlete on the team, capable of leaping over defenders standing upright, is a weight room warrior and has the upside to be "better than anybody in Oregon history at the tight end position."

"He's like the most elite athlete I've ever seen pound for pound," Ferguson told DuckTerritory.com in an exclusive interview at Big Ten Media Days. "I've seen him jump over someone pretty much standing up in a scrimmage like it was nothing in spring ball. He's 6-foot-4. He's up to 240 now. He just hit a new high speed of like 22 miles per hour. He's benching 300 something pounds, power cleaning over 300 pounds. He's a freak."

Dan Lanning will find a way to bring in the players they need for this position.  I know the No. 1 2026 tight end multi-sport athlete, Kendre Harrison was offered a scholarship for both football and basketball.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon tight end Terrance Ferguson offered rave reviews on sophomore tight end Kenyon Sadiq during Big Ten Media Days.

Also, Oregon football recruiting hosted five-star tight end Brock Harris for an unofficial visit and he left impressed yet again.

At Oregon's Saturday Night Live football camp this past weekend, the Ducks hosted a wide net with the nation's top football prospects from multiple recruiting classes. One of those players was 2026 247Sports Composite five-star tight end Brock Harris.  Harris spoke with DuckTerritory.com about his time in Eugene with Oregon's staff.

"The atmosphere at Oregon is really amazing," said Harris. "The coaching staff and support staff really care about making Oregon a national championship team and becoming a school that has been dominating for a long time. The coaches make me feel that I could be a big contributor to that team."

Harris has been to Oregon before, but this trip he was able to bring both his Mom and his Dad, plus his brother who lives in Portland was able to also come down for the recruiting visit to get a feel for the Duck program.

• Applause 2
  • Like 1

Yes, we lose two TEs and must replace them for the future, but the position is not a position of weakness now with Ferguson and Herbert, (IMHO) and will not be later unless we do not recruit anyone.

Last year we got Roger Saleapaga, who is a Rivals 4-Star, and who was deciding between Oregon, Auburn, Utah, (where he is from) Tennessee and Texas A&M.

N.RIVALS.COM

Roger Saleapaga - 4 Star Tight end for Oregon on DuckSportsAuthority

We also got AJ Pugliano who was also a Rivals 4-Star.  So between these two and Sadiq, the position is in good shape for the near future.

N.RIVALS.COM

AJ Pugliano - 4 Star Tight end for Oregon on DuckSportsAuthority

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I like it when a perceived weakness is relying on 3 or 4 players that were all 4 star recruits. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Seems like a lot of co-mingling of the terms “weakness” and “unproven”.

Historically it has always been nerve wracking if a position group has all new starters with no college experience, which really should never happen in the portal era at a place like OBD.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would say historically we have had NFL talent at TE, which was under used, didn't lack talent. I think the trend continues, but that has been the way our offense works, or doesn't work. We have had more TE's in the NFL than receivers, by far.

The position we seldom have NFL talent is the big uglies. Again we have 4 star recruits, but I don't see the NFL snooping around the middle of our defense. This is a huge weakness historically. We have great effort guys, but no difference makers since the Bellotti days. 

This is a trend we need to stop. The weakest position historically, post Bellotti, and continues is DT. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If the weakest part of my team consists of dudes like T Ferg, Herbert, and Sadiq, I’m feeling pretty good about the rest of the team!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1