Charles Fischer

Russian Attack on OBD Green Refuge Thwarted

Holy Crap!  What a weekend, as I got hit with an attack of 15 Spammers from around the world trying to penetrate our Registration System. You may recall that I fended off an attack from a group of 16 in India the evening of Thanksgiving last November with the help of a number of our wonderful moderators.

This time the primary location that came up with the IP search was, "Russian Federation" and the others around the world joined in a coordinated attack on the Our Beloved Ducks forum. If they can get registered, then they create so many advertising spam posts that when you get up in the morning...it is pages and pages of spam starting with the first page on the front of the forum. 

Zu-Spammer .jpg

I have a couple of methods to detect the bastards, but it all takes my time. Some of the new people who have registered recently received a phone call from me to confirm their existence as a Duck fan, and it was a couple of fun conversations hearing their Oregon story.  But again--more of my time.

Bottom line is that I have a couple of technical lines of defense built into the registration system now, as it is combination of high tech, and then low-tech, which is my judgment, elbow grease and time. It is sad that a lovely little football site gets attacked, but that is the new world we live in.

Ever Thought About Writing for FishDuck?

The football season is coming up and we will have a MILLION things to savor over and discuss as fans. To write for FishDuck.com, you do not need football expertise, you just need an opinion.  The vast majority of our articles are "Op-Eds," or Opinion-Editorial articles, and I love them as they create great discussion in this forum.

I would like a few more writers for the fall, and the technology is not hard--once you spend a little time, and then you got it nailed.  I help writers with that through the process, as we have OBD members who write for fun while having a full time job. It is a very satisfying hobby to spend a few hours creating something, seeing it published, and then bantering-with-our-Duck-Buddies in the forum.

Join us!  If there was ever a perfect time, an ideal season...this is it!  I am going to be training a few newbies, and would love to add a few.  Contact me: charles@fishduck.com and I'll get information to you.

Love this community!

Charles

Oregon Poster_Fox Sports Video (2).jpg

Last year the two FishDuck sites served over

a quarter-million returning readers....join us!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Charles, I think the Rooskies were trying to capture you as a "high end" bargaining chip for the next prison exchange. 

Please beef up your personal security (asking for a forum).

• Haha 3
  • Mic drop 3

Well if it is any consolation it is my, unverifiable, belief that we have been involved in an escalated "cyber warfare" for most of 2024.  Just not widely "suggested" or "reported", since it is a real good way to cause Digital Panic, in a society built around and dependent upon, the digital world.

That being said THANK YOU Sir Charles for being that "Guardian at the Gate.  Allows us to submerse ourselves in our OBD forum and for a little while get to "forget" the external powers being wielded, that directly effect our lives in so many impactful ways.

Justa letsa messa "Duck Out", and let the rest of the world "fall where it may".

After all, isn't "sports" that universal "release" that satisfies our ingrained, natural, competitive nature in All of us?

I think so.  Go Ducks!

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1

Rat bastages.

• Thumbs Up 1