Thomallister1291

Oregon Unlikely to Play Alabama in a Home & Home Series Anytime Soon, According to Native Eugenian Greg Byrne

WWW.ON3.COM

Alabama athletic director Greg Byrne explained why a home-and-home series cannot be scheduled with Oregon despite being...

Well, at least I can understand the motives behind this and I'm still glad that the playoff got expanded, so maybe the chances increase?

• Thanks 1

Frankly, I’ve seen enough of DeBoer to last a long time.,,

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Alabama future opponents

2024 – at Wisconsin

2025 – at Florida St, Wisconsin

2026 – at W. Virginia, Florida St

2027 – W. Virginia, at Ohio St

2028 – Ohio St, at Oklahoma St

2029 – at Notre Dame, Oklahoma St

2030 – at Georgia Tech, Notre Dame

2031 – Georgia Tech, at Boston College

2032 – Arizona, at Minnesota

2033 – at Arizona, Minnesota

2034 – at Virginia Tech, Boston College

2035 – Virginia Tech

(Minnesota replaced Oklahoma (now SEC) in 2032 and 2033 schedule.  Oregon must not have crossed his mind?)

I believe Alabama's last regular season game in the Pacific Time Zone was the loss at UCLA in 2000.
  • Thanks 1

Saban’s first season was 2007.

From 2007 to 2023 (2020 COVID year) Alabama schedule included:

At Penn State, at Duke, at Texas as only three true Power 5 regular season road games.

7 “neutral” games in Atlanta

3 in Arlington

1 in Orlando

1 in Jacksonville

At least Byrne has turned the ship so there will now be true road games at non-SEC opponent venues.   Getting Saban to play at Texas in 2022 must have taken a LOT of arm twisting.

The SEC should be forced to go to 9 conference games.

I also don’t want Oregon playing these huge pre-season games. There is no need now with the B1G schedule, as we’ll play tOSU, Michigan, Penn State, et al, and with the expanded college football playoff - if we make it in we’ll have to beat 2-3 of these teams to win the championship. The likelihood of playing Alabama has increased with the expanded playoff.

It would be great to get these southern teams to beautiful Eugene in November! 

• Applause 1

Yup!  The realignment shift has automatically set each season up with meetings between several top 25 teams throughout the season, especially in the Big 2 conferences.

With the expanded playoffs and number of games played to reach and win the championship game, there's no incentive to schedule teams that you will most likely see in the playoffs (to be expanded to 16 teams in the 2027 championship season).

Before it was imperative to schedule a "marquee" game each season to bolster SOS in order to be considered as a "playoff" team.  "Marquee" games now fall to simply scheduling each seasons conference slate.

OBD should focus on scheduling "West Coast" teams during the non conference games, especially with teams that were part of the conference formally know as the PAC.  I would be fine with no longer scheduling FCS opponents from here on out.

Regardless, we as Duck fans are in for a run of highly competitive and entertaining football in the new "NFL-lite.  (And YES!  SEC Needs to go to a NINE game conference schedule AND until they do they need to be "punished" by the selection committee by lower seeds and further travel requirements during the playoffs, until they do so!.....yeah right!)

GO Ducks!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

GOOD! Play Bama in the Playoffs and not before. 

• Applause 2

"At least Byrne has turned the ship so there will now be true road games at non-SEC opponent venues.   Getting Saban to play at Texas in 2022 must have taken a LOT of arm-twisting."

As noted above, this type of aggressive OOC scheduling is in theory, needed to make up for playing eight conference games. On the other hand, have your barf bag ready when you look at MIzzou's and the Ole Miss OOC schedules this season.

Well, I still think the current answer is mostly based on the 8 vs. 9 conference games debate that the SEC is having, when the final decision it's taken I expect more scheduling news from the SEC members.

As of now, let's look forward to the playoffs!

Alabama is smart to play those games at Wisconsin and Minnesota early in the calendar year. I'm a bit shocked at their change in philosophy but the guess is going undefeated is no longer as important. Let's face it, if Alabama wins the SEC they'll get at least a top 2 seed. So losing at Notre Dame or Ohio State costs them little. The top 4 is now going to be important as you avoid playing that extra game.

That's why Oregon winning the B1G is as important as ever. Even with an expanded playoff. You don't want to travel to a Alabama, Texas or Penn State while Ohio State or Georgia get to sit at home and play you a week later with rest. You also don't want to have to host a Boise State, Liberty or Memphis. A G5 team with nothing to lose while you may be coming off a loss to Michigan or Ohio State and looking forward to playing them again the next week.

So Alabama vs Oregon could happen, but the SEC shouldn't get an essential off week while the B1G has Oregon traveling to Madison or hosting Illinois. Because every conference game is huge , the number one goal is to win the conference to get that top four seed.

Edited by Duckley Palace

Dave Bartoo, at College Football Matrix, says that the strength of schedule is least important component that the college playoff committee considers and teams with 3 losses have a very slim chance of making the playoffs, so there is no incentive to play top teams preseason.  

https://www.audacy.com/podcast/primetime-with-isaac-and-suke-d0695/episodes/dave-bartoo-interview-6bd70

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thanks 1

On 8/26/2024 at 9:11 PM, Thomallister1291 said:
WWW.ON3.COM

Alabama athletic director Greg Byrne explained why a home-and-home series cannot be scheduled with Oregon despite being...

Well, at least I can understand the motives behind this and I'm still glad that the playoff got expanded, so maybe the chances increase?

Of course they do. I feel like it's fate we'll be playing against Alabama in the playoffs within the next 2 years.

And it's way too late. 2012 is when it should have happened, and now our coach has documented issues with beating Alabama's coach...