Charles Fischer

Is Boise State Going to Destroy the Pac-12?

So, it was announced in a posted article in the "Pac is Back" thread here on the OBD forum that Memphis, South Florida, and Tulane have decided to remain in the AAC conference, and the Mountain West is adding financial incentives to keep UNLV and Air Force in that conference.

In the end...the financials weren't there for the AAC schools because...."the financials are not there!"

So Boise State narrowly lost to a top-ten team on the road and plays Washington State this weekend, and Oregon State later in the season.  If the Broncos win both as a current G-5 conference member--wouldn't that be the indicator that truly...this former Pac-12 is nothing more than just another G-5 conference?

It would be hard draw to pull teams to the Pac-12 when clearly--it are not what it used to be.  Truly calling it the Scrap-12 is fitting....

Would this begin the Reverse

Merger with the Mountain West?

giphy.gif

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/23/2024 at 5:13 PM, Charles Fischer said:

In the end...the financials weren't there for the AAC schools because...."the financials are not there!"

I know I've said it elsewhere.... But also waiting for the ACC to break apart is worth their while. 

Also the scrap-6 will probably get a media deal around 10-15 mil per school and be relagated to late night programming. I figure the schools they got so far are probably worth 10mil (slightly higher than current MW pay out and a LOT lower than what the pac-12 was getting before the break up) for the late night programming. 

So for those AAC schools they'll have to travel more and play late at night on the east Coast. 

Wait for the ACC to break up and get into a tier 2 conference and not a tier 3.

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Both the Pac and the MWC are in weirdly similar spots now.  I read somewhere that the MWC's current media deal expires in just 20 months so both conferences are in a grey area where negotiating new rates are tricky given that the rosters are in flux.  That puts both in the position of providing "estimates" and "theoretical" media rates to prospective members which doesn't provide much confidence for joining either.

Utah State sounds like they're going to join the Pac while UNLV and SJSU are rumored to stick to the MWC.  This puts either conference at 7 members at the moment.

And the Scrap-12 along with the Mountain West will compete with B1G games on Saturday nights like Oregon vs. UCLA with their huge LA and Duck brand audiences.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/23/2024 at 5:34 PM, kirklandduck said:

Utah State sounds like they're going to join the Pac while UNLV and SJSU are rumored to stick to the MWC.  This puts either conference at 7 members at the moment.

What FCS schools want to join the FBS? 

I don't think North Dakota wants it. 

One of the Montana schools maybe? 

Eastern Washington? 

Portland State can't afford it. 

But if Eastern Washington and Boise State are in the same conference then it becomes the conference of awfully colored fields and I guess oregon.state should make their field orange and just join the dumb colors. 

• Haha 2

On 9/23/2024 at 5:30 PM, David Marsh said:

I know I've said it elsewhere.... But also waiting for the ACC to break apart is worth their while. 

Also the scrap-6 will probably get a media deal around 10-15 mil per school and be relagated to late night programming. I figure the schools they got so far are probably worth 10mil (slightly higher than current MW pay out and a LOT lower than what the pac-12 was getting before the break up) for the late night programming. 

So for those AAC schools they'll have to travel more and play late at night on the east Coast. 

Wait for the ACC to break up and get into a tier 2 conference and not a tier 3.

Google says the current MWC total deal is $6M per with $4m coming “purely from media value”, whatever that means. I think the scrap top-end is $10M.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

On 9/23/2024 at 6:12 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

“purely from media value”, whatever that means. I think the scrap top-end is $10M.

"Media Value" for the Scrap? it's the stuff grocery stores have in the boxes outside. They'd rather you pay for it, but if you just put it in your pocket and walk off, it's less inventory they have to deal with. 

• Haha 1

The Pac-6 made an offer that could be and was roundly refused. A Bronco's head in the AAC commissioner's bed would not have made a difference. 😁

CBS, ESPN, FOX, and NBC own P4 inventory in the Pacific and Rocky Mountain time zones. They have the Power Late Night inventory and they are not going to pay for inventory they don't need?

Will the 'MW 4' beg to come back home? How much additional money will Boise, already with a 'special' MW deal make out of hanging out with Pac-12 left-behinds and a group of teams they already play? Does San Diego State, Colorado State, and Fresno State move the media's needle? No one watches these teams if they aren't playing a popular P4 opponent. The Pac-2's "consultant" convinced the Pig-2 otherwise? How much money besides $113M of "Our Money" did this sterling advice cost? 

The ACC is in the process of making a deal to keep Clemson and FSU on board. A deal we will see more of with the bigger brands in a conference receiving a bigger slice of the media pie. The ACC will IMO hold together.

Cal and Stanford have signed a grant of rights deal with the ACC through 2036. They weren't coming back to play ball in the Pac-Whatever regardless and had no inventory to sell if they wanted to join a conference with UNLV and Utah State. 

All the Pac-2 had to do and should have done was reverse merge with the MW. 

Long ago Bobby Bowden knew he had an easier path to the postseason playing in the ACC instead of the SEC. What sense does it make to get every competitive G5 team in the same conference chasing after one PO spot? 13-0 Liberty played a weak schedule last season and was rewarded with the NY6 dough along with a paddling from Puddles.

A merger of the best teams in the MW, MAC, AAC, Sun Belt, and CUSA would not create a 5th Power conference or materially increase the money the media will pay for G5 inventory. 

A PO spot for the G5 is not a certainty beyond 2025-26. The Power teams could give the G5/6 some PO money and send them off to a playoff of their own. 

Stupid Is As Stupid Does. Right, Teresa?

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just…can’t stop laughing.

Now Utah St?!  As if Fresno and CSU weren’t already so junior varsity to water this down.

That’s all the stolen money was used for?!

And wait, what?  The PAC tried to get teams from Florida, Tennessee, and Louisiana with the PAC fans encouraging that.  Didn’t we just hear those same fans and admins saying they would never try to impose the impossible long distance travel like the big boys are doing?   That smell is a stinking pile of hypocrisy..  

Oh what?  USF, Memphis, and Tulane rejected the offer to cozy up with Beavis and Coug?  Rejected it!

Too funny.  This is comedy gold.

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It’s funny peeking in on their boards.

12 months ago, no Beavis fan that was right in the head would think that keeping company with Utah State was progress. Now they have convinced themselves it’s an amazing potential conference mate.

Solidly G6

• Thumbs Up 2