Desert Duck

Oregon Has Room For Improvement?

One thing that amazes me is that we made a lot of significant mistakes in that game. And yet, we were still able to pull off the win against a Top 5 team.

When we look at the week-by-week improvement that OBD have accomplished since that frightful day on August 31st, if this continues as we all believe it will, they are about to become scary good.

And a massively huge props to our Oregon fans last night. Relentless does not even begin to describe it. The wearing effect that you all had on tOSU, and their fans, was just off the charts exceptional. I'd suggest the our fans were worth 6 points last night. Just amazing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon STILL has yet to play a complete game! 

• Great post! 1
  • Like 1

Oregon's win over Ohio State meant so much more than Dan Lanning securing a signature win

Let’s put into perspective what this Ohio State team is. The Buckeyes are a juggernaut talent-wise. It returned a large chunk of a team that took last year’s national champions to the final moments.

There are five (maybe more) players on that team who should be in the NFL right now but opted to come back. Then the Buckeyes went out and added Howard, running back Quinshon Judkins and safety Caleb Downs in the portal. 

This Ohio State team is as deep and talented as the Georgia teams Lanning coached. Ohio State was supposed to be the sport’s super team in a season where it’s becoming increasingly evident that there may not be one.

What if that is Oregon now?

The Ducks are my No. 1 team in the country. And the best part? They made plenty of mistakes in the game that would have cost previous Ducks teams.

Oregon fans watched a botched extra point, a failed two-point conversion, a failed fourth-down conversion inside Ohio State’s five, a player being ejected for spitting on another player, edge-rusher Jordan Burch missing the game because of an injury.

Oregon fans were waiting for the final shoe to drop, for the Buckeyes to take advantage of any of those errors and win the football game.

It didn’t. The only shoe that dropped to the turf was Howard’s slide once it was too late for Ohio State to attempt a game-winning field goal.

Oregon didn’t play its best game and beat Ohio State.

Say it again: Oregon didn’t play its best game and beat Ohio State.

WWW.ON3.COM

Lanning's build of the Oregon football program has taken two years, but the Ducks have finally reached the mountaintop.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Ohio State thought Oregon was Vanderbilt, and though they made it more of a game than Alabama did, they simply couldn't conceive of losing; and they had chances, including in the final minutes, but couldn't make it happen. That's a lot of discordant thoughts for a Buckeye to sort through. 

On 10/13/2024 at 3:36 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Question for those more knowledgable than myself -- wouldn't the man in motion (in this play Tez Johnson) be the first option on this play? I'm surprised the DG only looked inside on this particular play.  You also have 2 CBs for 2 WRs (without safety help), which you think you'd like with Oregon's WRs...

Hopefully, DG will learn from it, which will only benefit Oregon down the road.

On 10/14/2024 at 9:02 AM, OregonDucks said:

Question for those more knowledgable than myself -- wouldn't the man in motion (in this play Tez Johnson) be the first option on this play? I'm surprised the DG only looked inside on this particular play.  You also have 2 CBs for 2 WRs (without safety help), which you think you'd like with Oregon's WRs...

Hopefully, DG will learn from it, which will only benefit Oregon down the road.

So I am definitely not the person more knowledgeable... BUT I watched this replay a couple times and I can understand why DG did not have the confidence to throw that ball. Even though it looks like Tez is wide open, I am sure DG had some PTSD from the last two games where he threw two interceptions on out routes in the end zone. He does not have the arm strength to confidently throw that ball across the field without the risk of a hidden defender slipping the route and having an easy stroll to a 100 year pick 6... 

After watching the re-play, Oregon left a lot of points on the field (e.g., missed FG, botched extra point, the wide open play above, the failed 4th and goal conversion where we ran right up the middle for no gain).

I'm really impressed with how Oregon matched up against "the most talented team in the history of college football." Derrick Harmon and Matayo Uiagalelei were the best lineman in the game and consistency blew up the line of scrimmage - hurrying the QB or tackling the RB for a loss. Can you imagine what we would have done if Jordan Burch was healthy?!

I'm sure that both coaching staffs are confident, if the two teams face off again down the road. Oregon has to continue to get better and play a clean game to beat a program like Ohio State but they proved that they could match up and get the victory on Saturday evening.

On 10/14/2024 at 10:51 AM, OregonDucks said:

Can you imagine what we would have done if Jordan Burch was healthy?!

I am sure we'll have Burch for the next go around... 

Outside of that... this is the START of a rivalry. The hate between the two will only grow if we take the B1G championship.