30Duck

Oregon Can't do What Alabama Did.

After their biggest win in regular season history over Ohio State, Oregon faces a different kind of challenge, going on the road to take on Purdue, on Friday. The Ducks open at -28.5 but will need to have put last week behind them. and be aware.

Stina Leicht's Blog - STINA LEICHT

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have confidence that that won't happen and here's why. 

Lanning has done a fantastic job focusing his teams. Last year after losing to Washington the Ducks went out there and disposed of opponents for the rest of the season. 

Sure that was a loss and not a major win but it was a close game with a ton of emotion. Lanning got his team focused and set on the next game. I feel he will do the same against Purdue next week. Sure it's Purdue but we have to travel a couple time zones to meet them though I do think it's easier for West Coast teams to go east than vice versa. 

Game starts at 5pm PST and we've had plenty of late starts this year. No biggie. 

Ohio State started a game at what 7:30 their body time last night and they rarely start anything that late even at home.

Now for my second big thought ... 

Jalen DeBoer I think is one of the best big game planners in the country. He's fantastic at it and the only thing that stopped him last year was getting smacked by a Michigan wall and defense that wouldn't let me do what he wanted. 

DeBoer put on a master class of a first half against Georgia. He hung on for deer life at the end of that one but won it. His game plan was disrupted by Georgia's second half adjustments and he couldn't do what he wanted and it almost completely fell apart. 

With that aside... DeBoer failed last year to motivate his team after a big win just like this year. Last year Washington played a bottom of the conference ASU team the week after a huge Oregon win.

They should have lost that game if it wasn't for some incredibly generous rules interpretation from the refs. Seriously that was one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen. 

This year... The hangover was real again against what was supposed to be Vanderbilt and not an intimidating team. They were beaten. 

DeBoer doesn't really change his name plan for lesser opponents and he lets them sneak up and bite him. Last year they Huskies survived by one score games more often than not. 

But when it was time to get ready to play Oregon... DeBoer had a solid game plan against the Ducks.

I felt Lanning learned more from last year than DeBoer did and I feel Lanning is going to get this team ready to tear Purdue apart in a show of dominance that we own the B1G now. 

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

These are mostly 18-22 year olds coming off the biggest win of their lives and getting pats on the back from everyone. I hope that Coach Lanning and staff can keep them focused and motivated but it can’t be easy. 

I agree, David, and not just because of the differences between DeBoer and Lanning and Oregon and Alabama. Alabama still probably hasn't completely bought in to DeBoer, Saban doesn't lose that game, and with all its success, the level of complacency has to be higher in Alabama than in Oregon. 

I don't think it will take a lot from Lanning and the coaches to make sure the players have their heads on right. To make sure they understand that a loss to Purdue cancels out the win over Ohio State. Oregon is at the point now to own the B1G and host a Playoff game. It's up to them. 

It's not just a trap, it's a BIG trap. Scheduling a Friday night road game right after tOSU did us no favors.

• Thumbs Up 1

The B1G teams are capable of beating any other team in the conference.  No team has ever “owned” it, and no team ever will.  

On 10/13/2024 at 8:52 PM, Grandpa Duck said:

The B1G teams are capable of beating any other team in the conference.  No team has ever “owned” it, and no team ever will.  

Same thing went in the Pac-12. 

Lanning has a couple losses that should have been wins in year one that proved you don't underestimate an opponent. 

I think the Beaver win in 2022 will go down as their last significant win in program history.