Smith72

2 Questions

#1 Special teams - remember when DAT, Barner, James, Holland, and other KO and Punt Returners would scorch opponents. 

Who is responsible for coaching this important part of football games?  The same goes for KO coverage.  This is something I'd like to see improved!

#2. QB under center and QB in shotgun -  we never go under center.  Why don't we use this?  The best QB's in the world (the NFL) use both. 

I just finished watching Herbert do both (QB sneak for 1st down).  Why doesn't Oregon do this.  Especially since Brown is 6' 3" and 226 lbs.?

Many possibilities for using play action passing plays also.

Both of these areas would help improve Oregon Football in my humble opinion.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bobby Williams is Special Team Coordinator and coaches the tight ends.   And yes, some of the special teams have not always been special this year.  Off the top of my head the punting and place kicking have been good to very good.  Kick off coverage has not been good and we have been average at kick off and punt returns.

I agree that it would be nice to see the QB under center in certain circumstances----mainly short yardage situations and when Ducks are backed up against the end zone.  

Many teams don't go under center.  And I'm not sure the Ducks have ever done so once Bellotti brought in Kelly.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/7/2021 at 7:23 PM, DuckHeart said:And I'm not sure the Ducks have ever done so once Bellotti brought in Kelly.

Arroyo put Herbert under center against Utah in the Pac 12 championship game in 2019. He used it for short yardage situations and goal line. I have never seen it since that game, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Didn't MC supposedly hire a new special teams coach to address this problem?  How are we not better at kickoffs and punt returns?   Yet, every game, it seems like the other team has bigger returns.  I think it comes down to scheme and blocking, which the Ducks are lacking.  Most games, I can't tell if they are all just running around with their heads chopped off.  It appears unorganized and ineffective.

I already posed this question in the game thread, whether Wright and Pittman were our best returners?  Maybe these guys aren't the best suited for this job.  Wright has taken it to the house in the past, but can he consistently be a threat?  Many times, I disagree with the lane they choose or their vision or they appear indecisive. 

Although their frame is slight, someone like Franklin or Seven, would be lethal on these returns.  I watched all of Franklin's recruiting highlights, he's got the capability, with excellent vision and explosiveness, to take it to the house on these kickoffs and punt returns.  He was the 3rd best WR in his recruiting class, but by my comparison, I would even say he was 2nd, behind Egbuka.  The Buckeyes have already used Egbuka on a number of punt returns.  So why couldn't Ducks use Franklin?  Franklin was the one recruit that I anticipated would have a special, breakout season, but the lack of touches and playtime, makes you wonder, if he is even being played every game.  This would be another way of getting your playmakers like Franklin, Seven, and Thorton the ball more and keeping them involved. 

As a frame of reference, these are the recorded times that I found for the 40 yard dash:

Wright     4.48 

Pittman   4.36 and 4.4 and 4.69

Seven       4.3

Franklin    4.4

Thorton    4.43

DAT           4.34 and 4.38  NFL combine time 4.5

Taj Griffin 4.31

I don't know how accurate these times are, but Seven would appear to be our fastest player with either Franklin or Pittman coming in second.  I'd say let Franklin or Seven have a crack at it.  I do fear them getting injured though, but that didn't stop the Ducks from letting DAT return it.

This may very well be another example of MC underutilizing the talent on this team, by favoring the veterans, with more playtime.  All this talent is going to waste, when they could be true assets to the team, as game changers.  They would make the game easier and more enjoyable for EVERYONE.

• Thumbs Up 1

As we've discussed...you know I agree completely on both counts.  We need to get more out of the Special Teams and snap from behind the center inside the five yard line!

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck